The Aegis Saga - Final Beta Test

I really enjoyed playing this demo! I especially enjoyed the parts with the Basenji because I myself have two. Can’t wait until the next update!

1 Like

Yay! There were serious temptations to write more dogs into the story :smirk: but then cat people are around and they hold grudges . . . :cat::dark_sunglasses: I’m really glad you enjoyed it.:blush:

3 Likes

Yes, got to save some for the sequel after all…my mc’s just hopes he can convince his adorkable childhood friend Ruric (on who he has a huge crush, btw) to come with him to study at the institutes.

If I can offer a tiny bit of criticism the possible sequel game could do with some more tiny (fake) choices to break up the occasional wall of text. Though that was only an issue for me personally during the first five minutes or so, after that the story just sucked me in and I would have continued reading it anyway, even if the rest had been a straight up novel with no choices whatsoever. :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll try to do my best to shape the sequel with more choice (and learning to use *fake_choice for a start. My coding skills lag so far behind my ambitions!) - also hope to surprise everyone with exactly how Venom Beneath the Skin fits into the second book :wink: The comp was such an amazing thing to do, really gives you perspective on how much you can write in one month, given the right pressures.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who subscribed to say they want to hear about stories I publish in the future! We made it to over 100 subscribers today! You guys and girls give me hope that one day I’ll be able to become a part-time writer (rather than a blue moon writer :new_moon_with_face: :yum:)

Subscribe link

If you have a website I really recommend having a look at providing a really easy subscriber form - wordpress.com makes it very simple, but there’s loads of clear advice about how to do it without much knowledge or effort online.

And for those of you who are into these things, here’s an article talking about why adding a subscriber form to your site is worth thinking about

4 Likes

I really like this game! I like the way it’s written and it makes it easy for me to roleplay my character. I also like,that potentially you’re not the chosen heir.It’s interesting to me to find games featuring an MC isnt’t an important character to a plot or isn’t super powerful in some way. I like that you have to work your way up. My only problem is that I feel that the demo is way too short.
I think that might turn off people who didn’t get the chance for an extended demo. It’s kinda frustrating for me because it just cuts off right when the story really begins and I’m invested. It’s like enjoying a a nice walk when a wall suddenly pops up and I crash right into it. It’s anticlimatic.

1 Like

I’m really happy to announce that Juliane Ashwood (who you all know as @Fiogan) is now working with as the editor for ‘Blood’.

You’ll all know by now that she won first place in the 2016 Choicescript Comp - for The Beastie Watch, which is yet another huge indicator of how talented she is.

I am not jealous at all :grin:

Glad you’re enjoying the story @InfiniteDreamer. Yeah - it’s really hard to know when to stop a demo ; ) I appreciate the feedback and hope you liked the new spirit animal illustrations and taster map

6 Likes

Congratulations Charles you will have a lot of success

2 Likes

First chapter back from @fiogan : )

So I spent the week getting sunburned at Art in Action. My first life at the moment is managing The Art Academy, my second is helping Tanya run her sculptor’s practice - and my third is Choicescript.

Busy but awesome!

We took the dogs and we camped in our trailer with an airbed. Tanya is sculpting a leaping springer spaniel. Art in Action is all about demonstrating your art for the visitors, which means lots of talking and answering questions, so by the end of the day you’re pretty tired and ready for a glass of wine, or um two.

I’m now back and looking over some of the amendments I’m going to have to make to Blood - headscratch - ‘what do you mean I keep switching person in the choices?’ . . . :blush:

yes that is an iMac circa 1938

4 Likes

I’ve just confirmed I’m going part-time at work. That means more writing time for The Aegis Saga. Which is a massive step for me : )

4 Likes

Great so more evil choices and charisma to add for you!!

3 Likes

More of Eris’ influence - @Fiogan will become a busy bee.

2 Likes

I swear Mara is in every thread I am in …

3 Likes

No it’s you mosaic virgin who pursue poor Mara

2 Likes

Ha. That conversation made laugh :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i been out of the loop for a while what progression has been made? chapter wise i mean if its quite a few chapters already done than i say A+++ for you @Charles_Parkes

to be fairly honest if i tried to write a story it would never get done because of three reasons.

1. i am very lazy
  2. any time i do have free time it is gobbled up by chores
  3. i would write depressing stories due to my depression
2 Likes

We managed to proof all 10 chapters and now they’re being looked over by an editor. I am following in their footsteps and writing the last feature in ‘Blood’: the linear story. I’ve always wanted to do this = encourage people who read ebooks to try choicescript and not be immediately put off by all the choices. For some people it is less alienating to be eased into making choices.

We got all the illustrations in place (the last touches are being added to the map now, which will have a token that moves around showing where the MC is.)

I am also very lazy. The biggest change in my life was meeting someone who wasn’t and valueing their perception of my contribution to our life together more than my epic procrastination!

Chores suck - I sympathise :slight_smile:

Here’s a cool link to some famous authors who suffered depression. I won’t pretend to know how that feels, but I work with lots of artists who do. You aren’t alone, and while it may be difficult to touch a pen or a brush when its happening, self-expression can be one awesome way to use depression as a creative force. Your writing will always have more depth than the writing of others because you have experienced something they haven’t.

Thanks @The_Chosen_Plump

7 Likes

So, Hosted Games have got back to me and said they’re ready to move ahead on production!

I’ll admit I thought they’d take longer, so editing is going to slow the publishing process down a bit. But I think the huge positive impact will make it worthwhile :grin:

Still a great thing worth celebrating!

PS, enjoy this thing I made: Wilson

16 Likes

Back from Blenheim Palace (the Countryfile Live show)

Kinda inspiring for writing characters and scenery for the Oligarchy in Lydia

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47183494/pics%20charles/Palace.jpg

• for context, the end of one of those wings is each the size of a mansion. This is what you get as a reward for beating the French (sorry @Snowpanther, but I’m a little tempted myself :relaxed:)

Just advertised for someone to come in to The Art Academy to allow me to go part time :blush: Anyone fancy being Operations Manager? It comes with a hat - :tophat:

6 Likes

I’m speaking to http://beefjack.com about possible PR and Marketing for Blood - against all good advice from people in IF wiser than me, so wish me luck / be thankful you’re more sensible than me! :blush:

I don’t know if these updates are annoying for everyone or interesting, so tell me (kindly) to stop, if people looking at my thread don’t find them helpful!

2 Likes