Temple of Endless Night (Released!)

Wow so after 10 min of trying to navigate this (I’m still new to this forum so, ergo, a disaster) I figured out how to post this. There’s an error code that now pops up when you try to translate the symbols (chapter_1 line 1074: It is illegal to fall out of a *choice statement; you must *goto or *finish before the end of the indented block.). I just wanted to give a heads up!!

2 Likes

@AJendryke I needed to do a bit of testing, but I think it should be fixed. Thank you so much for reading the story!

1 Like

One of the things that kind of stuck with me was the dream scene. Our parents crying in the Field of Reeds[1] because they would never see me again. I wasn’t good enough, and I would never be. I’ve only done one playthrough so far and it was with a rogue. I kind of just sat there, thinking, how messed up it was that my character was basically screwed for eternity due to her background. It was kind of sad, really.

[1] The equivalent of Heaven for the ancient Egyptians.
(For those of you who are curious).

3 Likes

Thanks so much for your reply! Let’s just say it was very early morning for me, and I promptly went to sleep after posting, haha.

Anyways, what you said about the classes makes a lot of sense, thanks for clearing that up for me. Like @groundzero said, I’m actually kind of tempted to see what kind of things I can do without being the ‘right’ class haha. Also, seeing as you’ll be posting the rest of chapter 1 soon, I’ll probably do a playthrough again when you post it. I might be back with a short typo post before that, though!
Thanks for the tv recommendation too, I’ll have to look into it!

Because @groundzero I definitely agree that Greek mythology is most represented in the media, while it’s really hard to come up with Egyptian mythology examples. So I’m quite excited about taking a dive into Egypt here (with a little magical twist ;^) )

3 Likes

@IvoryOwl Thank you for playing! I’m glad you enjoyed some parts of it. About that sadness you felt at the end. Would you say it was too much? Was it too depressing?

Also, that dream wasn’t caused by your class (but that’s a interesting idea!). It was caused by the fact that you tried but failed to read the (proper) translations of the symbols. At least that should be the case. I checked the code.

Once again, thank you!

@Aerin I’m glad the class system makes more sense now, and I agree that it’s best to wait a bit for the rest of Chapter 1. It shouldn’t take me much longer. It’s actually literally two scenes. The thing is that there are many ways these scenes can end, and there are many things the MC can do (not only think this time, heh) to react to what’s happening. Are these spoilers? Erm…

Oh, and I’m glad this story helps you get closer to Egypt! ^^

3 Likes

Oh no, it was nothing “overwhelming”, just something that touched me. I actually thought it was a good thing because it means you managed to get me invested into my character. :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for clearing up the meaning of that scene though!

Part of me still thinks a thief would never be able to enter the Field of Reeds - Heart heavier than the Feather of Maat and all that - unless they somehow managed to really defend their case before Osiris. (Totally not flexing my Egyptian knowledge BTW. haha) But it’s good to know they have a chance now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@IvoryOwl I’m glad you like the scene, then :smiley:

You are quite right about the Field of Reeds. I have to agree that it is highly unlikely that a thief would gain entrance to the afterlife. It’s not impossible, since the good things we do in life matter too, but… it is unlikely. Expecially with how disliked thieves were in Egypt. It was probably connected to the fact that many thieves were (also/mostly) grave robbers.

However, as I mentioned before, these particular nightmares were caused by the MC failing to read the inscription. There is a trap on the text that is supposed to mess with your mind if your willpower isn’t high enough.

Also, I’m glad you know a lot about Egypt! :relaxed:

2 Likes

I know next to nothing of Egyptian Myth but that’s never stopped me from enjoying stories surrounding them! I did find this, however. I don’t know if anyone else pointed it out, but I wasn’t sure if this was intentional? I assume not, but still, I guessed it to be dependant on whether MC is more a scholar or warrior type. I really liked this! Zephyros can, like, get it tho.

Possible mistake??

2 Likes

@PrismaticSpace Thank you so much for pointing this out! It’s definitely a bug. I’ll just turn the class check into an attribute check. I’ll fix it in the next update (possibly tomorrow).

Also, I’m glad you liked the story!

1 Like

I think the stat rebalance as well as the stat screen overhaul are a massive improvement and I’m liking the unsettling atmosphere going forward, great work as usual😁

1 Like

Also this has quickly become the most informative thread I’ve read on these forums lmao

1 Like

@Nick_Miller Thank you so much! I’m really glad you like the changes. I hope to preserve this atmosphere for as long as possible :sweat_smile:

I’m also glad you find this thread informative. I try to post detailed changelogs and explain whenever someone asks about something. You know, the normal, obvious things. Perhaps I have a tendency to write too much :smiley:
Also, I think it’s easier for the thread to be informative because of the setting.

2 Likes

Changelog
23 July 2020

• Added the fifth and final part of Chapter 1 (ca. 3300 words, excluding code).
    Chapter one is COMPLETE.
  • Fixed a few bugs related to the Spellsword class.
  • Fixed a few spelling errors.

I will be adding something small (very small) to Chapter 1 tomorrow. (Ankh Amulet related.)

As always, enjoy the game and do tell me if there are any bugs! :relaxed:

7 Likes

Just got off work but looking forward to trying the game😁

1 Like

Hello, I’m back and thought a typo post was deserved, as I had promised one before ^^

These are what I found in my playthrough:

Typos (Warning, Spoilers Ahead)

“You’ve been travelling with the trading caravan for the the past ten days…”
(haha definitely noticed the ten people this time around)

not sure if the “open” is unintentional

after persuading Ahmose: “Please, tell me if there’s anything I should be wary of.”

loudly?

Of course I miss…”
Also, “The war ended over…”

cave?

also loudly?

“You think about all the songs you’ve heard in your life, but none seem appropriate.”

extra "

“…from the beginning.”

“…it gets more distinct.”

Other notes:
-Not sure why the formatting is all janky, sorry about that ://
-No errors! (At least for the choices I picked)
-Just to streamline the deity-picking process, is it possible to put the “Are you sure you want X to be your patron” choice on the same page as the deity-related explanation?

The rest of the chapter was very good! You’re doing a great job of building up to the ominous temple and giving little foreboding hints- I’m definitely very curious as to what has Ahmose so on edge, and what’s wrong with the temple.
Seems like I partially failed a stat check when the storm hit, but I’m not dead yet! So I wonder what worse is to come…

1 Like

@koda Thank you! Hope you like it.

@Aerin Thank you so much for all these typos. They should be fixed now. However, I’m still not sure about that adverb thing with loud/ly. If you run a search in google books, you’ll get lots of examples for both uses, and, since I’m not a native speaker, I’m a bit confused. Does that mean both forms are okay? “His voice is soft”, but “he said softly”, right? Sooo… “His laugh is loud”, but “he laughed loudly”? :smiley: I’m just really not sure about that.

Also, “I promise you that I’ll be in the cage before you know it” sounds… so weird.

I’m glad you didn’t experience any crashes! That’s very important.

I’m also glad you only partially failed that save. I wrote the words “the end” like seven or eight times yesterday… :slight_smile:
Fun fact: If you don’t summon the barrier, there is no storm… :smiley:

1 Like

Oh no! You can actually die?? haha now I’m really glad I survived! And that’s really interesting that the storm happens because I made the barrier…hmm I guess my first reaction was to protect myself/the caravan (but then it didn’t even protect my fellow travelers anyways lol !)

As for the loud/ly and soft/ly…I’m no English major but I can try to explain it?
(If anyone else has a better grasp of English than I do, please feel free to correct me!)

Little Adjective/Adverb Grammar Primer:

So soft and loud are adjectives, whereas softly and loudly are adverbs. In a basic sense, adjectives and adverbs are both descriptors, but what they describe is different.

• Adjectives describe nouns, which are people, places, things
    Some basic examples of adjective-noun pairing are: big dog, quiet voice, red chair, dark building, tall person

• Adverbs describe verbs, which are actions, like laugh, run, jump, sit, eat. You can recognize adverbs by the ly. Usually they’re tacked onto the end of adjectives*
    Some basic examples are: laughed quietly, ate noisily, jumps excitedly
    (note that adverb-verb pairing can also be written the reverse direction --> quietly laughed, noisily ate, excitedly jumps; it means the same thing. Also, the verb can be in present or past: laughs or laughed)

*you can’t do this for every adjective, because redly (red-ly) is not a word; this gets into advanced grammar that I don’t have the terminology for haha

To address your specific example of “His laugh is loud” and “He laughed loudly,” both descriptions mean the same thing! The sound of his laugh is loud. The idea is just expressed in different ways.
One is describing someone’s characteristic, while the other is describing someone’s action.

The difference lies in laugh/laughed. “His laugh” makes the laugh a thing, so laugh is a noun. However, “He laughed” is an action, so laughed is a verb. Adjectives --> nouns, and adverbs --> verbs. So that is why we pair loud with laugh and loudly with laughed.

I hope that made sense! If not, maybe someone with better and more eloquent English skills can help you ;-;

1 Like

@Aerin Thank you so much for this explanation, but that kind of leaves me with even more confusion as to the things you corrected in the examples from the game… :smiley:

“he laughs loudly”

“Laughs” is a verb that is an action (it’s what he does) + “loudly” is an adverb describing that verb (how he does it). I just kind of don’t see the mistake… Am I missing something? Cause I’m pretty sure it works the exact same way in Polish.

You can certainly die in Chapter 1. There are three paths that can lead you to death. You can fail a skill check, you can make Menkaure mad (sorry, he that kinda boo), and you can fail at stealing and not surrender. Oh, and even if you surrender, you still lose something quite important :smiley:

1 Like

Ohh I see, sorry for the confusion! The typo I saw was just that “loudly” was typed as “laudly.”

Otherwise your grammar is completely fine!! My bad, I didn’t realize you were confused about what I screenshotted, and not about the grammar.

1 Like

Omg, haha :smiley: Alright, thank you for the correction, then! I totally missed the point.

1 Like