Telltale Games shut down--and was just bought and "revived"?

I’m saying what I personally look forward to in a game. I said possibly shitty I’m giving it the benefit of the doubt unlike Anthem.

The skeleton crew are working on mincraft the story The walking dead will be cancelled I think :frowning:

But what official information do we have? Because so far all I’m reading about this is “source: my anonymous good friend, who is super close to telltale”.

None, so far. Telltale just says “the future of their IPs will be revealed over the coming weeks.” But the news outlets just keep spreading that one same story about the anonymous source/TWD being cancelled, so it becomes an echo chamber of assumptions. :sweat_smile: Hopefully they’ll come out and say something soon!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Everyone is assuming that all the articles are facts.

And the thing about them treating their staff like shit? I don’t know, specially when most of the employees seem to be sad about all this mess. At least on all their social medias.

I find the hate boners some people on the Telltale forums have for Minecraft amusing since it was apparently the only game series after WD S1 which made money, and people seem to assume that the skeleton crew are making an entire new season for Netflix when it is literally just them reimagining the first half of Season 1 into an interactive drama like some other CYOAs Netflix has done for Puss in Boots and the like.

I’m a little late to this story. I’ve been traveling, and don’t always have the internet. Please allow me to add my sorrowful voice to the chorus. I didn’t like all their games, but the ones I did I truly loved.

Most especially I have to mention Clementine. Of all the video game characters I’ve gotten to be over the years she might be my favorite.

3 Likes

Really? This sucks I have played wolf among us and Minecraft Storymode (never finished either game though) I found them to be great games and was hoping to see more interesting games in the future. :disappointed_relieved:

I guess I will just have to go back and try to finish them.

Just in case I would recommend downloading any games you own onto your consoles or pcs ASAP, just in case TT has to take them down.

I did have that thought. Shouldn’t they have to stay on steam though? After all, they were bought there. (Unless people are buying them from elsewhere.) Barring any legal action I would have thought they’d continue to be accessible (if not updated anymore?)

1 Like

lets hope it doesn’t backfire…

but it’s nice to see :blush:

The funny thing, as I’m skimming through my emails for uni related stuff, I almost forgot I got an email sent by them about another project of theirs;

Talk about another slap in the face.

1 Like

It sounds like BEAM Team Games hasn’t given up on the console release of Stranded Deep though. And you’ll still be able to get it for the PC and everything. Telltale was only responsible for the console release.

1 Like

I assume so, guess it depends on Steam’s policy with games from closed publishers…

Expiring licences. All of their game has licenses bought from other companies. Once those licenses expired, steam will have to remove the games from their store. However, if you already bought it, then it should stay in your library. You just couldn’t buy a new copy anymore. Same situation as Poker Night at the Inventory 2.

so sudden…and i was planning to buy the Season Pass for WD Final Season. Glad I didn’t but sad the company shut down…

https://twitter.com/joeparlock/status/1043225636788158465

https://twitter.com/joeparlock/status/1043226080226828289

https://twitter.com/joeparlock/status/1043227346692726784

Damn. I didn’t realise it was that bad, I thought they did really well.

I don’t know how set in stone that all it. A lot of what’s going around seems to be rumours and speculation. For example, other sources are saying Walking Dead is cancelled, but Minecraft is going ahead, so someone’s either not right or it hasn’t been confirmed.

I kind of wish Telltale did a better job with their marketing and tried to get the attention of book readers in particular. I know of quite a few people who are big fans of GOT’s and were looking for a fix as the TV season is delayed and no new books are out. TT’s game could have been picked up by a lot of people… if they knew it existed. Not one person I’ve mentioned that game to over the years had even heard of it. Such a shame. I can’t imagine the licences for games like that or batman came cheap. It also doesn’t help that as far as I’m aware, they weren’t selling hard copies for PC’s or putting any form of advertising during the broadcasts or in the DVD’s being sold to reach out to casual gaming markets who don’t always frequent places like steam. They’d need to move as many copies as possible off the shelves to make it worth their while to produce games like that.

2 Likes

I did read comment from playstore’s GoT , apparently many complain that after paying the full season, the end are always the same even though they tried replay and making diffetent choices
For them , they feel cheated when they really thought they can make a difference , and they also question why make a game when it is actually just game movie …

I think it was a mistake to make such game in the first place when they can’t change the story ending… those who pay thought they could save those who died… so i think after such review exposed the short coming , gamers who had ability to buy the game give up on it…

4 Likes

Yeah, you could change some things in the game, but other stuff is set in stone which is not great for something following the GOT’s mindset that anything can happen and no one’s plot armour is good enough to keep them safe. They probably should have focused on events outside the main storyline set out in the books which could have been affected to a much greater degree. It’s nice to have existing characters in there, but when you know that they’ll win out against your house and character every time, it’s not so great. I didn’t love the way they did the ending to be honest. I always hoped they’d take the critisism on board when they made season 2 and improve on it. (Which was slated to happen apparently, but no more.) I don’t know. Maybe they were figuring a lot of people would only play it once? (I’d say there’s a fair chance that a fair chunk of their audience only would play the games once, especially as they’re known for being relatively linear.)

Having very linear plots also lends itself to people just watching “lets play” instead of buying them, especially as you can’t (or at least couldn’t when I played it) skip over dialogue. So that meant to see what happened differently at a different point, you’d have to go through all the areas which were the same each time. I do wonder how much lets play videos impacted Telltale’s sales. But still, there are people who would have happily brought it for the GOT’s content, even if it had shortcomings as a game, but simply didn’t know about it! Such a simple story driven point and click game like this really lends itself to attracting casual gamers, but you’d need to go after them or they won’t find it.

3 Likes