Telltale Games shut down--and was just bought and "revived"?

One thought I have had about Telltale… don’t they own the Night at the Inventory concept? Any publisher who owns them would be able to do a poker game with some of their IP’s included in the character lineup. EA could bring in Han Solo, Lando and the game of Sarlacc to the table, or Ubisoft have characters from Assassin’s Creed or the Far Cry games.

You can’t own a concept like a bunch of characters playing poker together. Nobody actually needs the Night at the Inventory IP to do that, although with the lack of creativity most big companies have they might well think they did.

Also, it’s called Sabacc. Sarlacc is a giant monster on Tatooine.

1 Like

Damn. I was looking forward to the next season of their Game of Thrones game. This sucks.

3 Likes

Based on their engine combined with the universe.

Mira is being raped by her new husband or dead either way never seen again.

Tallia escaped with A brother and A second in command but they get killed. She’s alone and ends up enduring atrocities.

Beskha? I forgot her name but scar face is raising the youngest Forrester.

Gared has an army and is coming home.

So uh… New news!

O O F
O
F

The law seems pretty clear that they’re in the wrong… but I wonder how they’ll be able to collect when the company doesn’t even have enough money to keep its doors open…

3 Likes

If the company is bankrupt, it’s bankrupt. If there’s no money, they can’t keep people employed as they’d end up working and not getting paid which is worse, and they can’t pay them out and give more notice since it sounds like the money just isn’t there. It’s awful, and I feel really, really sorry for every one who lost their jobs it would have put them in a horrible position with no warning, and perhaps there needs to be some investigation as to whether telltale knew they were going to have to close and didn’t warn they’re staff earlier (in which case there could be a case against them but again, if there’s no money what will anyone gain apart from making sure the company files for bankruptcy and goes completely under?), or if a deal fell through that suddenly pushed them over the edge, but if there’s no money, I don’t see how legal action will help anyone.

2 Likes

I guess if there’s money to keep a skeleton crew of 25 going, people figure there’s enough money to pay out a fine? :thinking: It could also be just a way to legally penalize TellTale, though, as a way of ensuring something like this doesn’t happen again with other companies?

2 Likes

Most likely just a precaution on the states part. If Telltale broke the law, and with all the publicity surrounding its closing, it would look very bad on the states part to just ignore it because they have no money. It would make them appear unwilling to enforce the law which could lead to other companies thinking they could get away with this. Even if they don’t get any money from the legal action it is more of a symbolic thing I think. At least thats why I think they’d allow the case. As for why the former employees are suing them, I think it might just be their hoping to get some money out off this while they look for employment. Or maybe they’re just mad.

1 Like

So WD Final Season has been pulled off Steam, PSN and X-Box Store apparently. Kinda glad I managed to download Episode 2 before then but I imagine anyone who didn’t must be pissed.

If you have any TT games you want to play I seriously recommend getting them onto your console or pc now, no way of knowing how long they might stay on there if things go south.

2 Likes

How about the Google Play one? GoT was taking up space so I uninstall it but I was planning get back to it later. =(

So far it only looks like The Walking Dead: Final Season is being pulled (Although the articles just say from “digital storefronts” but not a full list). Maybe because they won’t be able to finish it or something? I’m pretty sure it was getting review bombed on Steam pretty hard these last few days too.

1 Like

I think anything which sells the season pass has it offline now. I don’t know if you might still be able to download Episode 2 if you have bought it, but without a homepage I assume not.

Apparently the removal is due to anger by some that Telltale is willing to pay outside groups to finish the game but not the original team involved or give them severance pay…

2 Likes

In general the bigger the corporation the less willing the state seems to be to enforce the law and labour law enforcement is very weak overall and seems to operate on a “don’t ask, you don’t want to know” principle. And that goes for the EU and most of our national governments just about as much as for the US these days. :unamused:

1 Like

True but with the amount of publicity surrounding this and the fact that Telltale is a relatively small company this would be a somewhat good way for the courts to “save face” in a way. Especially since public opinion is in the plaintiffs favor.

I was able to download episode 2 on the UK PlayStation store via the add on section. But I bought the season pass.

Yeah seems like if you bought the pass before today you can still access both episodes, which is a relief.

Unfortunately I don’t believe I’ll ever play The Final Season. My phone doesn’t support the requirements that the game needs to be able to be playable so it was probably the best for me seeing how TT isn’t going to finish TWD and Clem’s story. However, it does hurt me seeing so many talented people out of a job because of the toxic workplace it has become into but I’ll hold out some hope that someone will want to pick up the cancelled projects and hire the original teams that were working on them in a better workplace environment.

2 Likes

So for those who played Batman: The Enemy Within and since I am considering doing a write-up of how I would imagine a third and final season to go, who would you prefer as the core villain for the final season - Hush, the League of Shadows or the Court of Owls?

Court of Owls or Red Hood if he’s died already.