Telltale Games shut down--and was just bought and "revived"?

This is nothing concrete, but ahhhhhh!!! Hope rekindled, soul slightly less crushed.

I do hope that the original devs put on the project will be involved and compensated if this is truly the case. The ones interacting on Twitter and Reddit love this project and want to it realized from what they’ve been saying. (And the ending is something they wrote the game around. Mr. Kirkbride was even saying how he and a few others would like to make the ending into a Twine game if it’s cancelled lol)

But again, ahhh

Edit: Too excited, forgot how to English

9 Likes

Telltale, declined while trying to conquer stars, I’ll miss it, but my real concern lies with all those people laid off.

Regardless of Telltale Games’ flaws and inability to exceed people’s expectations, they were still the reason I found Choice Of Games.

3 Likes

Starts screaming WHISPERERS!!?

Edit: Finished… I need a smoke.

Good to know that a company might help TT out, I’m hoping for Warner and Ubisoft and not someone greedy like EA. Also hope that WAU 2 and future Batman seasons isn’t ruled out now…

My biggest worry is what this “help” actually means.

1. will the other company pay the staff just laid off to finish their story (what I want)
    or
  2. bring in their owns staff to finish someone elses story. (what i worry will happen)
1 Like

I’m pretty sure that unless whoever takes these people on buys the rights to finish these stories they won’t be finished. More likely than not they will probably be sent to work on Ubisoft/EA/Dice/etc. projects instead. It just seems like a lot of money for EA or something to buy the rights to make a Walking Dead game or something with little chance to make their money back.

1 Like

Shitty engine.

Most choices actually don’t matter, despite it being the games’ biggest selling point.

Constantly licensing popular stuff (which probably costs a lot) in an attempt to cash in on a wide audience, instead of making something original or at least less known (like The Wolf Among Us).

Taking on way too many projects at the same time.

Add missmanagement to that, since it happens in pretty much every studio these days, and it’s unsurprising that they went bankrupt. It’s a niche genre and they raised way too many red flags.

8 Likes

They’re also buying community goodwill. For EA, something like that has value. They do consistently rank as one of the least popular companies in the entire country across all industries.

2 Likes

https://media1.tenor.com/images/f8cae265542ac29aa6d00dcbeab7bfd9/tenor.gif?itemid=7178438

Ah yes Warner! The company that put a thousand micro transactions in Shadow of War and added around 20 hours of farming!

Or Ubisoft, well known for its open worlds and shitty storylines which are the same everytime!

C’mon let’s be realistic, EA or some other company will buy it, milk it and then absorb it when they conveniently can’t meet expectations anymore.

4 Likes

Well at least Ubisoft tend to create season pass content which extends the gamelife and makes sense. (And your shitty storyline thing is pretty relative to whether you just don’t like them.)

Yeah they do micro-transactions but who doesn’t? EA on the other hand has FIFA which is just one giant micro-transaction. I’ll take Warner (who has bought IO and Hitman and not interfered with them at all) and Ubisoft over EA anyday.

1 Like

Yeah, they even invented multiple season passes per game so that you can pay them even more money for less!

Who doesn’t do micro-transactions? Pretty much everyone a few years ago. Defending shitty practices because other people do them is the BEST damn way to make things consistently worse. Didn’t your parents ever give you the “Would you jump off a cliff if so and so did?”

4 Likes

A gentle reminder not to turn this thread into which-developer-is-worst thread.

7 Likes

Yeah me saying everyone does micro-transactions isn’t me condoning them. I’m saying I prefer season passes because those are a one time purchase. Are they sometimes expensive? Yeah, case in point Arkham Knight with Warner. But the advantage there is you can just wait until they’re cheaper like I did. Micro-transactions never get cheaper.

And my point is that’s not true with Ubisoft. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a gentle reminder to please keep conversations directed at the topic at hand and not at the individuals themselves.

Focusing replies on the individuals themselves instead of the topic at hand can lead to friction between members and often causes the thread to derail.

Spamming memes will also lead to closing the thread.

Finally, if you see disrespectful posts please do not reply to them. Rather please use the report feature and let forum staff de-escalate friction.

8 Likes

Apologies if I went off topic, I was just trying to explain how I prefer a season pass system over any micro-transactions. Hopefully TT could be picked up by someone who is less inclined to milk the latter anyway.

I think the issue with this is that regardless of who gets them, most of their IPs aren’t actually their own. Basically the only game they’ve made that they actually own the rights to is Sam and Max, and they abandoned that franchise years ago. So if you’re buying up the company you aren’t necessarily getting any of the things they’re most famous for unless you also manage to renegotiate the deals with the owners of those IPs, and that could be difficult when the company has already publicly imploded and fired all the people who actually made those games.

1 Like

True… of course if Warner were to buy them out that would be easier because since they own the rights to Batman and Fables anyway it would be easy to republish the two Batman TT games and Wolf Among Us whilst returning to work on WAU 2 and a third season of Batman. But the other franchises would be harder. I can’t exactly see Gearbox buying them just for more TFTB (though that game might encourage Warner to get TT to make a Mad Max game).

Ok, but again, they fired all their staff already. All WB would actually be getting was the right to the Teltale name, and the Sam and Max IP. Everything else seems like it’d be up in the air at best.