Tally Ho — Only a perfect servant can solve a perfect mess!

Okay, this one is really good. Not just good, but
h i l a r i o u s :joy:

2 Likes

Figs and Mopsie exhausted me. Please you two leave me alone,I just want to get with Rory.

6 Likes

How do you get the criminal ending with Haze its greyed out for me?

How does one get the poly ending??

Just finished my first playthrough, and I love this game so much. It got a few good involuntary belly laughs out of me, and I was grinning and chuckling most of the way through. Can’t wait to read through it a few dozen more times. I’m catching up on the last year’s releases after a long stretch without a smartphone, but this is a high contender for my favorite of the year.

@Gower: I haven’t read enough of the inspiration to know for sure, but the dyed hair and piercings on Haze struck an oddly modern note. Is there a period example of this in one or more of the works that inspired Tally Ho?

Did you ever talk with CoG about whether this was a game that should have been written in British English rather than US English? I’m about to hand it to my (British) wife for a try, and I’m sure she’ll note a fair number of discordant Yankified notes…

6 Likes

I dislike Figs and I hate Mopsie. She’s worse. She’s more manipulative. I’m yet to finish playing through, but I can assure you that I hate her with passion.

2 Likes

@Carlos.R - While the general rule exists, there are exceptions made specifically with regards to the topic of American English use or British English. That is why @Havenstone asked if @Gower had “talked with CoG” about the issue.

With the setting being England of the Interwar period, this certainly would be such a candidate.

Discordant Yankee notes aside, I do think writing it in American English was the right conclusion in this game because the mechanical structure is wrapped in a more prose covering then other games.

As we see from feedback in this thread, some readers had a little difficulty in relating to the stats as they are.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks @Eiwynn! :slightly_smiling_face:

Please ask your wife to note the worst of the howlers for me. Someone mentioned in a review a few that bugged them, and I want to change a few bits that won’t hurt readability for US English. (like, I will change “candy” to “sweets”–but I probably will leave “eggplant” instead of “aubergine.”)

4 Likes

I must confess the answer is an unreserved “no.” In my original outline, Haze was rather different; when I started writing the character in chapter two, Haze emerged, voice wholly there, and demanded to be let into this game. Once I came up with the character I took a few days’ break from the game and realized that I didn’t want to write a straight-up frothy comedy, but instead something that had the possibility of turning serious, and to do that, I needed to borrow from a few other genres. Haze, I think, is one of those other genres smashing into Wodehouse.

10 Likes

Any guides for this game? Cant seem to do very much right in it haha

1 Like

I would argue doing things “right” in this game isn’t necessarily the way to fun.

5 Likes

What a lovely game! You’ve captured my heart with unique characters, piqued my interest with intricate ordeals and challenges, rubbed my mind (in a good way) with mysteries behind most characters and so on! I’ve managed to obtain quite a few achievements too, rewarding!

By far, my favorite character is Haze. You wouldn’t expect someone with dark purple hair in a game revolving eras past, yet there he is. The only downside to him (in my opinion, or perhaps, because of my route) is that he seemed to change quite a lot in personality. He started joyfully talkative but became more introvert over time, but perhaps that’s just me reading him wrong. (And somehow, my relationship lowered at one point)

I didn’t get the ending ‘writer main character gets an honest job with Haze’, but I did run off with him when we were in jail. Overall, this game is like savoring a new chocolate and, at least to me, it has a mouth-watering taste.

4 Likes

@OkidOKi

Mopsie is a fucking brat and I don’t care for her at all.

@valentineheart

Haze reminds me of my experiences dealing with people who have bipolar disorder. I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was seeing the transition from manic to depressive.

6 Likes

@Sneaks
Yes, I agree. I’m so frustrated when I am forced to help her every single time. I can’t believe how manipulative she is. She tries to emotionally manipulate every single person she can for her own goal.

I want to punch her in the face when she emotionally manipulate Rory and tries to do the same with me by guilty tripping me. I have no choice but to help her when Rory asks of me and when Mopsie blackmails me with safety of Rory. I hate her with a burning passion when Mopsie makes up her plan without consulting me where her plan is using me, in which I am forced to spend my money and risk my life/reputation.

I still couldn’t finish playing the whole thing because I kept restarting to find a way to reject her plan completely. It is unsuccessful. I guess she has a plot armor. I don’t know how I am going to sabotage her relationship with Figs, but I sure as hell am going to find a way to sabotage and burn their love to ashes, in which only my hatred for her remains.

3 Likes

Or just bouts of depression, like Haze I have my share of “bad” days too. Perhaps that’s why it is fortunate I do not have an immeasurable fortune, as that would have given me the opportunity to wallow in them much more, instead of being forced to largely pull myself together and drag myself through.
Though those were mostly before my celiac’s was properly diagnosed, so in my case they used to be more of a comorbid rather then a primary ailment.

Bipolar is possible though I still rate relapsing, remitting depression more likely.

Anyway I think Haze is worth it.

3 Likes

Since it mentions the Lindy hop as being relatively new, I pegged the time period for being in the 30’s/early 40s (though I think the dance started in the very late 1920s).

I do agree that some parts of Hazel definitely struck a modern note. However, just dying one’s hair wasn’t unknown, especially in the 1940s. Actress Joan Bennett was a blonde who dyed her hair into brunette.

Of course, what would be more extreme color changes would have been socially off-putting, but that is the effect Haze was going for as well.

1 Like

I’m struggling with Haze’s romance could someone tell me how to get it?

Spoilers.
I managed to get her relationship bar up to 66. Then after she stole the money from me after I stole the money from primrose, I went to her Roman Wall and she just flat out rejected me. :worried:

1 Like

@idonotlikeusernames

Her behavior on the train had a lot of indicators of a manic episode. High energy and confidence, rapid speech and flow of thought with abrupt changes of topic, increased propensity toward risky and inadvisable actions. They try to convince you to steal someone’s glass of champagne for them on the train. In one branch they steal it themselves, as well as some poor schlub’s pocket watch. Not to mention they are a renowned sneak-thief. You might just attribute that to personality but that’s more or less why Bipolar II is tricky to diagnose. They also admit that their parents wanted to send them to head doctors due to an unspecified mental condition, and that they “broke a good deal of glass windows in anger”, which is consistent with my experience of seeing people with Bipolar disorder having angry, sometimes destructive outbursts.

6 Likes