Tale of a Kingdom: Swamp Castle - Beta Test

This was a really enjoyable game, I liked the strategy aspect of it. There’s a few grammar things but nothing too major. The only thing I’ll say is I wish there was a way to see what your score meant, because I got a 3 and I didn’t know if that meant I did okay (3/5) or terrible (3/20).

I scored 35. It’s a funny game but the last battle was a pain in the ass, I had 300 men more than my rival, However I have to spamming button over and over during half hour to win… I outnumered them in all units with 3 point in diplomacy lol. Why not a pact a surrender or just let me win directly because my higher stats.

2 Likes

Great game, by the way

2 Likes

Knight And I Went With Dipolmacy, Brute Force And Leadership. When The Governor Election Comes Around I Won It By Sending Merchents And Guardsmen And Farmers And Then I Only Spent A Little Money To Win The Undecied Votes, But I Still Didn’t Have Enough So I Bribed The Merchent Canidate Into Giving Me His Votes And I Won Geting Tons Of Money And Troops As Governer Which Come Into Play Later. Then When The Rebellion Happens I Join The Kings Side And Marshalled 20 Knights And Over 400 Men At Gurdsmen How You Do This Is You Train 20 Knights And You Request That As Governer All Surrounding Towns And Lords Give You Troops And You Organize A Volunteer Militia And If They’er Was A Option To Buy Mercenaries I Did Take It Then Once You Win The Battle Aginst The Rebels Attacking General Vero And His Forces You Get Promoted And When Your Talking To The King You See A Assassin In The Shadows And I Jumped In Front Of The King And Got A Score Of 23.

Maybe you could have the player make choices in the order they would like to fight then show calculations for the battle. Do this two to four times. It would still be a good battle but not require a lot of time of the player.

Nice This Time I Went With The Rebels, Won And Got A Score Of 25! Damn I’m Good At This Game.

I really liked how the economy is intertwined with peasants,farmers etc. The way you recruit people but sacrifice your economic base at the same time, clever way to solve it and the amount of different troops is very good. The story itself could be written more enganging though.(More things that can happen, or even flavor texts would be nice; I had the feeling there were many at the beginning but less and less the further I got) At this point the story felt more like a loose framework, until the next decision to hire people or buy stuff came up; but it is a WiP so that is to be expected. There are some grammar mistakes, but that can happen to everyone. A design choice I personaly would change is how the stats ( Personal, Number of troops) are presented, the way it is now -just the words underneath without any frame- looks very unpolished. That beeing said, I really liked the game and for your first game it is very good. You used mechanics I didn’t see in other games and those are fun and engaging, maybe shorten the fights a bit , but even in those the amount of different options overshadows the shortcomings.
I hope you continue with the great work and if your first game implements fun new mechanics like this I look forward to see great many games from you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eh…it’s just a model.

I finished at 33! wouldnt mind if i were also proficient in magic ,kinda got jealous of the magicians, the druids seemed to have less of a role or interaction in my gameplay, they just gave me a health potion thats it xD, i saved the king many times, managed to get to be govenor, the 20k gold realllly helped with the war, i was so glad i spent the bulk of it on magicians, slowly lowering the enemys ranks down considerably till i just kept attacking with my knights, wish the druids had more appearances aside from smoking mushrooms in the swamps hehehehe

Score: 21 from playing the “good guy”.

I found quite many instances where troop/civilian numbers don’t tally.

Like when forming the sabotage team to attack the barbarians, archers are grouped under man-at-arms, while the archer counter is set at 0. And in the final battle, while helping Vero/Varo or w/e his name was, the archer option states that I needed 5 of them. I if had more, it was fine, but if I had exactly 5 archers, it was greyed out. There are some more examples, but I can’t really remember them.

Nice game, by the way. Interesting how some choices may affect things, not immediately, but several events later.

1 Like

So I have the maximum points with my 35? I just only played it once. I found it really easy, Like all choices are pure common sense, from a political perspective.

I’m jealous, only 18 I got xD

Maybe I counted too much on militia and Knights ?

I wonder what your strategy was ?

I decided to allow the peasants to build on the swamps, and reading throught the comments on the druids, I’m glad to have done that :smiley:

When the war came, I knew Vero/Varo was the traitor, it was way too obvious :smiley:

If you want I could pm you my role-playing choices. It is really easy if you think Like Mara. Forget about strength agility and those warrior stuff. You are a politician with an army focus in being leadership, diplomacy and intelligence. Don’t be afraid of being zero coins in the first choices, and of course drag the swamp. I could pm you with a Mara noble role playing if you want

2 Likes

Sure, why not :wink:

(+20 chars)

@poison_mara and @Snowpanther combining efforts … the world shall tremble in fear.

3 Likes

Simple plot and simple game play, but fun to play.

There were lots of grammatical errors and bugs though.

Yeah, the Druids come up occasionally, but you have to take very specific steps to see them. Perhaps I can try to include them a bit more, haha.

2 Likes

Thanks UmbraLamia,

I will have to take a look at that particular part and see what is going on with the archers. Glad you enjoyed it!

For combat, keep on using range weapons.
Stock on archers, magicians and catapults.

Build your economy, stock on merchants.

I found farmers useless except for quests/events.

1 Like