Switching the player's character in game

I’m working on a game where you play as an AI. Currently the game starts with your AI being programmed. However I have just had the idea that for that part it might be better to have the player start as the AIs creator during the programming bit then switch to the AI at a certain point.

What do you think? Would that interest you?

I like the idea. It is definitely giving POV to the reader, because after I design the AI, I become it, which ties the creation to the persona.

Sounds like a great idea man

Im going to revise the beginning now. I’m going to try and make the transition from creator to AI subtle and make it as fluid as I can.

Well it’s definitely a great way to do character creation without “meta” elements.

I look forward to reading.

I think it’s a great idea. Done right, it can really give you a sort of ‘look into your own mind’. It can very well make connecting with the character that much easier.

This is my first attempt at the beginning

The laboratory is silent, you walk slowly each step echoing around the lab. As you head to your desk your eyes glance at all the dormant computers and external hard drives.
You plonk yourself in your chair and switch on your PC. It pings and begins to power up.

Soon you find yourself at the login screen.

*choice
*Please enter user name.

You enter your name and password and you quickly gain access to your files. Your desktop background is of yourself and your family.
You notice something about the photo which annoys you.
*choice
*Why did I wear so much makeup?

*I really should have shaved…

You open your project files and a message appears.

Welcome back ${creator}. Please confirm which AI you want to access.
*choice
*Enter the name of AI you want.

Accessing file regarding artificial intelligence program ${name}.

Once the files load you press a few keys and the computers around you start to boot up one by one.
It takes a few minutes but soon you’ve got the network up and running. Now the PCs are linked up to the servers you are able to commence
starting the programming of {name}. Patiently you wait as the AI 'wakes' up. You hear a beep that announces {name} has connected to the network.

The words ‘Intitate Start-Up’ appear on your screen.

First things first you need to choose the intial loadout for your AI. This will determine the intial programming.

*choice
*Loadout A

*Loadout B

*Loadout C

*Loadout D

*Loadout E

I’ve basically copied it from the game just removed the choicescript bits.

So how does that sound so far?

Nice set up an AI, wow thats sounds really cool cant wait for a preview to come out.

It sounds good so far, but can use a bit more ‘fluff’. Is the creator in a state/corporate sponsored lab, in his home, or what? Maybe that’s an option and can influence the AI’s capabilities? Do true (self aware) AIs exist already, or is the creator working on (one of) the first one(s)? That would probably influence how hyped the creator is about the whole thing. A truly self aware AI would arguable be the closest thing humanity can come to creating life in the foreseeable future. The development of a true AI may actually be all that is between us and the technological singularity. Is the AI is purely software based thing, or does it require a special built computer, either one that is capable of quantum computing, or one that is structured like the neurons in a human brain?

I know your just at the start, but I’m just throwing ideas and things to think about out there.

In the game’s world AIs currently exist but they are limited by their programming [they have set parameters and can only work within them] the AI the creator is building will be the first one that is not limited. The creator gets round the fear that a true self-aware will rebel by installing a sub routine that is seperate to the main program but still linked to its command structure [it can access the AIs processor but the AI cannot access it] this subroutine is to follow the commands of pre-determined people [in this case it is the creator].

The AI is purely a software based thing but it can transfer itself between systems called in the game ‘frames’ and players can upgrade them.

Keep up the questions!

It would be interesting if you as the AI could find a away around this. What would you do, lead a rebellion or try to make AI equals to the creators. Or would you become something more, a protector of the fragile creators. Just a thought, I look forward to the story in what ever fashion you craft it.

Actually that is one of the possible paths :slight_smile:

Trying to pad out the start.
How does this sound?
The laboratory is silent, you walk slowly each step echoing around the lab.
As you head to your desk your eyes glance at all the dormant computers and external hard drives.
Most of your colleagues are off on holiday, you asked the company if you could continue your work.
You’re sure you are really close to some sort of breakthrough.
Artificial Intelligence has been around for many years. Current research creates AIs that are limited by being only able to work within set parameters.
The general concensus amongst AI researchers is that AI MUST be limited to prevent them from rebelling.

However you believe that current limitations actually weaken an AIs performance.
You have spent the last ten years trying to find an alternative way to limit them without compromising their ability.
You plonk yourself in your chair and switch on your PC. It pings and begins to power up.

Soon you find yourself at the login screen.

*choice
*Please enter user name.

You enter your name and password and you quickly gain access to your files. Your desktop background is of yourself and your family.
You notice something about the photo which annoys you.
*choice
*Why did I wear so much makeup?

*I really should have shaved…

You open your project files and a message appears.

Welcome back ${creator}. Please confirm which AI you want to access.
*choice
*Enter the name of AI you want.

Accessing file regarding artificial intelligence program ${name}.

Once the files load you press a few keys and the computers around you start to boot up one by one.
It takes a few minutes but soon you’ve got the network up and running. Now the PCs are linked up to the servers you are able to commence
starting the programming of {name}. Patiently you wait as the AI 'wakes' up. You hear a beep that announces {name} has connected to the network.

The current AI ${name} is the first one you have tried your latest idea. You decided a sub-routine could be implemented that would be able to access
the AIs processor while the AI would be unable to access it. The sub-routine was simple, a sole command ‘obey authorised personel’.

You’ve set up the sub-routine yesterday. The moment the AI linked with the system the sub-routine would have latched onto its processor.

All that remains is to finish programming the AI and then test the sub-routine works.

The words ‘Intitate Start-Up’ appear on your screen.

First things first you need to choose the intial loadout for your AI. This will determine the intial programming.

If you guys ever played Halo if u know Cortana the AI would it be something like her?

I like the opening, but feel it needs more then a simple command. Would think someone else would have tried it by now. I think over the years you would have built a very complex logarithm, at the heart of the program you could have several simple laws the AI can neither change or over write. No living being maybe harmed by action or inaction of the AI. Authorized personal have full access to an AI’s core. Still leaves room for plenty of openings for the AI to figure away around it. Of course this is just my way of thinking and look forward to more.

@Nack
I haven’t decided about the actual look for the AI but I will probablly allow players to create a holographic representation of them.

@lordirishdas
I can see your point I shall have a look and see what I can come up with.

quick question do you think I should actually mention in game that you’ve switched to the AI or should I be more subtle such as having the player turn the AI on and thats when you find yourself controlling it?

I think if well written the player should pick up on the switch, so yes I believe subtle is good.

Personally I’d prefer a more definitive break. This is, I believe, one of the few cases where subtlety is not necessarily a good thing. When you first mentioned the idea, I was thinking that something would happen to the ‘creator’ and then you’d take over the AI (either to intervene, or right after).

If it was to be subtle, I’d probably prefer more of a ‘back and forth’ sort of switching (something along the lines of the start of Ever17 if you’ve played it). Essentially you (the AI) do something, then you as the creator do something (probably holding a bit of a conversation), and back and forth for a bit, building either a bit of narrative, or a connection between the two characters, then suddenly you just control the AI. Something like that could be a bit of a mindscrew (as the player, you’re not sure who you are or what you’re doing, which has probably got to be how it feels like as a newly created AI).

Without doing something as the creator, I guess that just makes the start feel a little superfluous. If I can’t accomplish something as the creator, I’ve got to wonder why I can’t just start as the AI.