Surge, Spire, and Sea (WIP) - Chapter 1 - 4 , ~120k (name change)

So far good. I did turn off from finishing festival. I became uncomfortable that the trio option made me feel ackward. I expected a friendship possibility to figure out who is what.

In that path anyway, its supposed to been romantic only instead? I really felt ackward thinking it was friendly idea.

1 Like

Shame we canā€™t go as a trio romantically really, I already donā€™t like choosing between ROs so doing it that early is a shame.

I think itā€™s what the tag implies, yes.

1 Like

Thanks!

Thatā€™s all useful information. Iā€™ll make some changes with those points in mind. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Chapter 4 is now available!

Slightly spoilery summary below:

After leaving the Shallows, you return to the marketplaceā€”this time for one of Giganteaā€™s regular night marketsā€”with a friend. You run into Odas, one of the folks who keeps the fishing fleet going, and remember a recent sailing excursion you took with them through the waters around Gigantea (introducing the second major ā€œside questā€ mechanic, fleet exploration, which has absolutely zero fishing). As Odas finishes recounting the tale, Yet Another Commotion occurs: some outsiders have arrived. This ought to be impossible, since the royal family has always taught that nobody survives outside of Gigantea. And yet, itā€™s undeniable that these newcomers are from outside the city. As Surge and Spire supporters clash over the implications, the king himself arrivesā€¦

This brings the demo up to roughly 120,000 words.

ā€“

Other changes and updates:

• Gigantea is now around 20% Deaf, with Sign a language that nearly everyone communicates in alongside spoken wordā€“sometimes even at the same time
  • All the major NPCs should now appear on the stats screen once you meet them
  • Added some page_breaks for pacing and fixed some typos
  • Fixed things like failing to use brackets properly (thanks, @DougleMuggle!).

I still need to fix some bugginess in chapter 2 (Nan/Aanan is sometimes in your room and then not, and then in your room and then not again, in some playthroughs) but didnā€™t have time to figure out what exactly was causing that. If you do run into this situation, please let me know what choices you picked in the early parts of that chapter so I can do some more troubleshooting!

I havenā€™t added checkpoints yet, either.

Writing-wise, Iā€™m about 10,000 words into chapter 5 now. Iā€™m hoping that means I will be on track to finish that by mid-Julyā€“although since it will also require me to go add more words to the Shallows and Fleet scenes, that isnā€™t a for-sure thing. I likely wonā€™t post it here until Iā€™ve finished chapter 6 and had them spot-checked by Jason, hopefully in late August or early September.

ā€“

Some notes and replies to comments in the thread:

I get the same error on all other choicescript games (including those hosted on the official choice of games website), so I think Google Tranlsate just doesnā€™t work with choicescript games. Sorry!

If you have a link I can look at where it does work, I will be happy to take another try at setting this up.

I was unable to reproduce this despite testing in several browsers. Are you still getting the same error when selecting those charactersā€™ pronouns? If so, can you give me your browser/OS combo so I can try testing some more (although it shouldnā€™t matterā€¦)

Itā€™s also possible I fixed whatever was broken somehow already.

At this point in the game, both those characters are friend optionsā€”although Myrrina might be an ex-lover depending on what you pick. Later, you will be able to approach either of them romantically if you want. (Myrrina and Nan/Aanan donā€™t have a poly route, but that is an option for Nan/Aanan with one of the other NPCs whoā€™s introduced in chapter 4.)

I updated that scene a little to make it clearer (for players who didnā€™t choose to be aro/ace) that this is strictly a ā€œhang out with a friendā€ thing that wonā€™t affect your route later in the game, and not a ā€œpick your ROā€ thing.

7 Likes

There was a bug in the beginning when I chose to dive in to save the kid.

1 Like

Thanks! I will make sure I get that fixed.

Do we know if itā€™s active as a project?

1 Like

Hello!

I have been bad about updating this thread but am currently finishing up chapter 6 and a couple of side quest files that are needed for chapter 5 to work properly. Once those are done (hopefully mid-August so I can meet my deadline) Iā€™ll post the new content here, which should bring the game to around 190k.

My contracted deadline for the last chapter is early next year, and Iā€™m still planning to hit that.

8 Likes

have been bad about updating this thread

1 Like

Live footage of my progress:

3 Likes

A little more of an update, since I have a bit of free time:

• Weā€™ve retitled the game from Gigantea: Age of Rot to Surge, Spire, and Sea.
  • Iā€™ve added about 55k to chapters 5, 6, and the two main side quest scene files (exploring the shallows and exploring the oceans around Gigantea) and I esimate I have about another 20-25k of work on these before theyā€™re due on the 15th
  • I ended up condensing and rearranging some things in my outline because I realized I had basically conceptualized the same scene multiple times with slight changes, and that felt kind of unsatisfying from a player perspective ā€“ I think the new outline will feel more compelling and more tense as well
  • Iā€™ve been really bad about finishing my screenshots file and teaser text file (sorry, @jasonstevanhill!) but itā€™s still on my to-do list
  • The COG team shared sketches of the cover, which was exciting!

And another meme-related update:

10 Likes

Lovely to see the new name! Best of luck with the writing for the milestone, it sounds like youā€™re doing awesome work!

3 Likes

either a few statchecks are super tough or youre meant to fail or im using the wrong stat. keep trying to use jokes and one liners with high sarcastic but it does jack. is the check for communication? cuz i keep that moderate (45-ish) too

other than that this seems great so far

Could you give me a specific example? Itā€™s hard for me to tell exactly otherwise.

My guess is that the values for the check might just be too hard ā€“ I donā€™t think Iā€™ve written any tests where you fail no matter what you choose (but I might be misremembering. Itā€™s been a while since those first two chapters!).

Blurred for stat test information: A stat of 45 will pass an easy check, but you need 50 to pass a medium one. If itā€™s a check thatā€™s testing sarcasm (which is the negative half of a paired trait), youā€™ll need a value of 45 or less for an easy check or 35 or less for a medium check.

Triple-S is an evocative and descriptive title; I like it.

Iā€™m delighted to see you working steadily on this and look forward to more goodness.

2 Likes

when you talk to the surge guy you escape with in jail and when you try to talk to the two bickering people later. pretty sure i had 35 sarcasm but it still failed

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™ll check those out and see whatā€™s going on.