Street Jam: The Rise (Finished and submitted)

Wasnt the stat called streetsmarts before? I think that sounds better.

1 Like

I didn’t say that, I told him why I chose the name as it is a word me and my old friends threw around a lot and asked him if he thought that making a poll for it would be the best choice to determine how most people feel. I never said no one could.

@Nadin2011 No it was always ghetto, but the label in-game is streets so the layer must figure out if which gauge it boosts. I think you are thinking of streetwise from life of a mobster, it sounds too similar to that one for me, especially since this game has a much different tone.

@Megus that choice worked fine before I started editing choices way earlier in the story… this isn’t the first time I’ve had this happen with notepad damn.

@L0G1C exactly, since the choices in the story rather than your background mostly decide whether you will be more ghetto or straight-laced I thought that was the perfect choice. You can be a ghetto rich cop, it is not solely based on your past. This is also why I went out of my way to not call the slums ghetto and have every fighter you face in the slums either white or hispanic.

@Ekaterina Thanks. I feel the same way. Especially outlandish and unconventional really just sound like they would confuse most players…

So I guess a poll is the best way to go? No one has answered yes or no to this question yet lol

2 Likes

Whenever there’s controversy, the best way to go is a poll :yum:

1 Like

Do you think that ghetto is an okay word to use as a stat? If so, give me an alternative.

• Ghetto is fine
  • An alternative should be found

0 voters

2 Likes

I have no idea what ghetto mean, it just sound like black american argot, since i’m not from the US, i don’t really know what it imply so that’s why i voted for an alternative stat name

a part of a city, especially a slum area, occupied by a minority group or groups.

1 Like

@Balrog_Demorgothe Argo? What’s that?

i think it translate into slang in english

A ghetto is an impoverished area, however ghetto in slang terms is commonly used to mean ratchet or in this game’s sense, how “street” you are

3 Likes

It either means a sectioned off part of cities typically reserved for minority groups, or use to describe someone associated to street life. It’s typical slang nowadays though and associated with African American culture. Sort of like nigga/er but you’d get less complaints out of it. Which is why the poll is there. To see if too many don’t want it. I do want it because I’ve yet to see a game here that I see people talk like how’d I’d expect them to, I want to see more slang, and this game here is pretty good on that.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the explaination, i really appreciate it ^^

@Balrog_Demorgothe I’m always here for the fans.

3 Likes

I see someone switched their vote lol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

well, since i get what it mean now, i have no reason to vote for it to change XD

Considering the direct inspiration of this game, The Def Jam series, it totally fits. Heck if I can remember correctly even some blaze moves used the term in the names and also there was the Ghetto Blaster fighting style. A lot of the rappers even named their own finishers and most of the names are kind of street/hood names or in the same vain.

1 Like

I’d say the term ‘ghetto’ is probably fine, since it does fit the general tone of the game pretty well? Mind you, I am not American either, so the more negative connotations that might be behind the word are likely to fly over my head.

Personally I don’t see the word “ghetto” being offensive to African Americans since there are some people in real life uses that word to describe themselves. It’s basically like saying they’re a gangsta from the streets which is somewhat accurate. Plus they don’t really have any complaints about it unlike that word that shouldn’t be used. Some famous African Americans has used the word before to talk about the problems going on in there such as guns and drugs, some rappers actually has ghetto in their stage names and it isn’t just African Americans that does live in the ghetto. Anyone who is pretty poor would have to live there because the price of living in an apartment or a home in a ghetto is surprisingly cheap compared to the non-ghetto areas. Whites, Hispanics, African Americans, Asian Americans and so on lives in the ghetto as well.

4 Likes

It seems my social media testers agree with the results