Stats Screen Design Questions

I’m concerned that my stats pages are a little cluttered, unintuitive to navigate, and generally aesthetically unappealing. I had a few questions about ways to handle this, including:

• Are navigation buttons still acceptable? I feel like they could make navigation on my page far more intuitive and I’ve seen them used well in published games, but as of this 2012 post it seems to have been denigrated in favor of the standard choice navigation system. Is that still the current policy/accepted practice?
  • Is there any way to have multiple colors of bar charts or other variations? I’ve currently got rows upon rows of red-barred charts and it’s kind of an eyesore. (Yes, I know that you can change all of the defaults to different colors, but I would prefer some individual variation–different colors for Love and Fear in particular would be nice.) I’d be willing to consider using Javascript if necessary.
  • Are there generally any suggestions for handling the display of lots of stats smoothly? I think I might be displaying far more than most games (general personal info, custom setting info, detailed info on each of the five factions plus their relationships with both you and each other,) so I might just be a weird case for which Choicescript isn’t optimized.
  • Addendum: Can Choicescript interface with Python smoothly at all or does one have to go through Javascript?
2 Likes

Usually people use a choicebody to navigate through various statsscreens.

while CS can interact with javascript etc, I’d advice against it, as it can make the game go wonky very easily iirc

1 Like

If by “choicebody” you’re referring to a simple *choice navigation system, then that’s what I’m currently doing. I’m just not entirely satisfied with the results.

while CS can interact with javascript etc, I’d advice against it, as it can make the game go wonky very easily iirc

Do you recall specifics of how it can go wonky and/or how to avoid it? I have programming experience, so if it’s a fixable problem I’d be happy to try it.

1 Like

I recall that @kgold has multiple colors as stat bars on his WiP CoM. Of course, the work requires editing the javascript, and it appears I’m not bothered to learn the JS after all… :sweat_smile:

Let me burn some paper and summon him.

1 Like

Does the summoning normally take this long? :wink:

1 Like