Stardom in Seoul: Live the life of a Korean idol!

I’ve begun to work on a game called Stardom in Seoul. It’s still a Work In Progress, though. The reason I haven’t uploaded it on here yet is because I haven’t gotten around to fully writing a proper character creation scene, and I’ve been jumping around writing scenes out of order instead of chronologically.

For anyone curious, Stardom in Seoul is about an artist who moves to Seoul to pursue a career in the entertainment industry. The MC can be from anywhere: South Africa, Cuba, the United States, or even just someone moving from another part of South Korea. There are three main skills: Acting, Dancing and Singing, with most gigs requiring a combination of two of them.

Another major part of the game will be romance. All the romanceable characters play an instrumental role in the story. I’ve seen in many Choice Of Games that the romance is treated almost separately from the plot, and I want to make sure that doesn’t happen. I’ve created a mechanic that affects the plot based on who you romance, but I don’t want to spoil it just yet.

The romance options are: your manager, the CEO’s son, a K-pop star, and a janitor. I might remove/add/change some of these ROs, but I wanted to make sure there would be a lot of diversity in the types of people you can romance.

Anyway, I’ve written quite a bit. I wonder if this sounds interesting, and if anyone has any questions about it. Thank you :smile:

180 Likes

This is interesting. I am looking forward to this. :blush:

2 Likes

I’m ready for this! You’ve definitely caught my interest, in any case.

Can you give us a rundown of your romance options? At least what you have so far of them.

5 Likes

That sounds very interesting, and I would definitely be open to trying it!

Also, seconding what @violet said. What’re the ROs like if romance is going to be a big part of the story?

4 Likes

I love this but I am a super fan of kpop so I might be a little biased hope u keep with it.

1 Like

I’m interested but you should probably know I won’t be romancing anyone with real influence in the plot as you’ve said they all do sooooo… But hey are you going to be realistic will this be a Harvey Weinstein universe for female MCs?

1 Like

Yes, definitely, it sounds good

1 Like

Sounds promising, also choked on water when you said, Your manager, the CEO’s son, a K-pop star and some janitor. Not that I don’t like it, just the escalation made me think of something else.
Good luck!

2 Likes

Singing is one of the main talents so I’m guessing the choice to be a kpop Idol will be one of the careers? If so will we be a soloist or in a group?

2 Likes

Oooh! This is interesting! But will that Korean “no dating” rule be applied in this game? If so, can you explain it to me because I still don’t get why there is such a stigma again K-pop stars dating.

5 Likes

It is related to the fans I think. K-pop artists might lose their popularity if they are taken.

8 Likes

Yeah I’ve heard some seedy things about the Kpop industry from like, youtube videos and stuff. Especially when it comes to female kpop stars. (Or maybe I’m confusing them with japanese idols?)

3 Likes

I’d be interested.

I think the ‘seediness’ of the entertainment industry would be a engaging factor. Even if it’s just rumors of you and a studio exec or something, that could affect your RO. Also, I’ve noticed the K-pop studios sometimes control who their charges date. That could be very interesting.

10 Likes

I’ve started writing profiles for all of them, I’ll probably be done in a few days :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ooh instead of hero project trying to suggest having a showmance for ratings. Your company makes you have fake relationships and any side relationships risk breaking Kafaybe. And your “Fake” partner might try to force themself on you. And you can resist and cause problems and get in trouble for not doing what they want.

8 Likes

I kinda like that. Dramaaaaa!

I’m really interested in this! Will we get to choose if we want to be a solo artist or be in a group?

I will definitely be addressing the darker sides of the Korean Entertainment industry, which can get really dark. I’ve been extensively researching incidents of sexual assault in entertainment companies so I can be realistic in it’s portrayal. However, at it’s core, this is going to be a fun, light-hearted story, so it’s not going to be 100% true to life.

All the ROs influence the plot, especially if you romance them, so I’m sorry about that. I might add options to romance your bandmates (if you choose to go into a group) that have less influence, but influence nonetheless.

19 Likes

But why??? I don’t understand???

I dunno. I think it makes sense. Some fans might just be fans because they can imagine themselves “with” their idols? And if said idol had a steady significant other, I guess that breaks the fantasy.

3 Likes