SoS: The Mortal Coil (WIP)

I headcanon that so hard. Ain’t no way Gabriel has intrinsic knowledge about making french toast-- hundreds of slices of bread were sacrificed along that journey

9 Likes

Gabriel:

Who knew being a human was so difficult? :angel:

37 Likes

fire alarms go off. Sabriel runs in with a fire extinguisher Sabriel: “HOW???”

3 Likes

A few of my Gabriels will be bad cooks. Others will be decent.

1 Like

It’s canon that at least at first Gabriel is not a good cook. The last time they were expected to cook was way before electricity and can be summed up by roasting meat over a fire–little skill involved. It is one of the skills you can raise, as an interaction with some of your coworkers.

There’s also a short featuring Daniel and Gabriel’s bad cooking here if anyone is interested.

18 Likes

Sabriel: Okay, Gab. Here is your new home and job and identity. Now you know how to cook food and feed a small child, right?

Gab: Duh, I’ve been to earth before. I know how to hunt wildlife and cook it over a spit.

Sabriel:

39 Likes

@Dae-kalina

Can a Gabriel with high affinity use Grace to cook?

1 Like

My guess would be no? Can Gab even have access to their grace powers in the shell? I mean, my last understanding of it was that the shell itself is a power suppressor (literally made mortal) until Gab decides to leave it or has to

2 Likes

I thought it just a body made for gab so his angel-ness doesn’t show

Once I started playing, I didn’t want the demo to endddd lol. I’m hooked and very much looking forward to reading the rest of the story.

1 Like

Can you imagine how pissed Sabriel would be if Gabriel tried to use their grace to cook and had to call her up because it turns out that they severely overestimated how much power it would take to make ‘grilled cheese’ and now all the windows are busted out of their house and there are scorch marks on the walls. Oh, and the shell isn’t doing too good either.

Daniel: Oh! I think our neighbor’s baking a lemon cake!
Gabriel: Oh shi-

6 Likes

But… aren’t you people forgetting something…
Gabe was sent to earth before… that means they had a lot of time to cook for human…so even if you are useless at cooking, anyone can be a perfect cook if they are using kitchen for that long…no offense, but even I(I never went to kitchen in my whole life) can come up with something perfect or almost perfect if I spend even few months trying to burn the whole kitchen.
So, the point is… Gabe should at least be a decent cook if not one of the best house cook…their struggle with kitchen should not be possible.

Except the last time they cooked on Earth was when “roast the meat on a stick over the fire” was the height of the culinary arts. So nowadays they’re starting from square one.

2 Likes

The renaissance had a bit more than “roast meat on a stick” going for it in the culinary sense, but yes, the technology differences would be an issue.

6 Likes

@Dae-kalina
Whew. That was pretty intense.

I feel that I never knew what to expect. At first, I thought maybe I would be the son of Satan? Then, I saw that I would be the guardian of such a character, and I thought maybe this would be like Choice of Alexandria. Then…the Ramiel trial, and I no longer have any idea what this story will be, and I don’t care. I just want to see the rest.

This is well-written, dark, and challenging. I turned all the filters off, and thus far, I can’t say I’ve seen anything that would require them, though I was impressed by their existence. Writing this must have taken forever.

I do have a couple of nit-picks:

1. I didn’t care for the “choosing” of my slider attributes in the scene with Sabriel. Let those things happen naturally, I say. Many of those attributes had already been adjusted by in-game choices, so the questions about them shouldn’t be necessary.

2. Huge wall of text after the Ramiel verdict.

3. Speaking of Ramiel, I wasn’t crazy about having to decide how I felt about him so soon after meeting him, and being unsure what was going on in the story at the time.

That’s basically it. Great work, looking forward to more.

3 Likes

Ok…but do you really need skill to cook some basic food like… Rice, Boiled egg, Boiled vegetables…curry…or the food prepared by machine like oven, freezer etc.
I am not sure but I think this will be easy for even Gabe for first few months.

Hmm… Gotta say I’m surprised. I had pretty low exceptions coming into the game. A story about an angel disguised as a human detective sent to protect anti-christ kid is a instant red flag. Sounds like a story for a lame af teen drama lol.

That being said, glad I gave this game a shot. Story and characters are solid. Remiel + village arc was a very enjoyable read.

Still a little skeptical of how the story story will turn out once the detective bodyguard stuff starts happening, but, but… nah. It’ll be good. Looking forward to the next update. :slight_smile:

Just wanted to say, this isn’t constructive feedback. It’s not necessary or helpful to tell someone “I thought this game was going to suck, but to my surprise, it didn’t!” and “the premise of the story sounds really lame, but I guess it’s not!” in giving them feedback that strives to be actionable, meaningful, or interesting in any way at all. There isn’t much an author can do with this, except feel offended or discouraged by hearing their story “sounds like a lame teen drama” or “is an instant red flag,” and since I know your intent was to praise @Dae-kalina in the end, I would just counsel you to think about what’s necessary to include in your feedback to writers and how it affects the meaning or intent of what you’re saying. Just thought I should let you know that your comment comes off as backhanded.

25 Likes

Fair points. My attempt at humour clearly failed. :sweat_smile:

I want the sexual things to be in detail i don’t mind it at all, but I’m confused on which one to press

1 Like