Some of my other IF games

Background

First, I should add in a bit of background since I’m fairly new to the CofG world (and the forum). I discovered CYOA gamebooks as a kid and fell in love with the Fighting Fantasy books which I read and re-read until they were in tatters. But then, somehow I missed all the computer IF games (Zork, Adventure, et al) probably because I was traveling around the world.

But I never once forgot my deep love for IF. In 2016, due to my introduction to chatbots (see below) I “rediscovered” IF, only to see, sadly, that it was reduced to a shell of its former self. It seemed like only a handful of really outdated-looking website (IMDFB, etc) were keeping the embers burning, and while the games were quite often innovative and interesting, it was a lonely world of hobbyists.

Fast forward to 2019 when a client called me about a project that ended up being an IF project. What?? Were they even viable? I found, to my complete surprise, that they were! And then he mentioned a CS game (Tin Star) which led me to the forum and CS itself, which I’d never even heard about. And here I am!

Chatbots

In 2016, I was working an office job when my boss asked me about this newfangled thing called a “chatbot” and asked me to find out what they were and if I could make one for the company.

At first glance, they looked too complicated to create and would require programming skills that I didn’t have. But then I found a tool (called Chatfuel) that required no programming. And while my very, very, very first chatbot was a business case, somehow, my long-dormant passion for IF roared back to full flame, and I became convinced that a chatbot format would be a super fun way to create an IF game.

Since 2016, I’ve been making business chatbots to pay my bills and using my free time to create IF games on chatbot platforms :slight_smile: And now also using ChoiceScript!

Are these games even IF?

I should add here that ALL of these games are far shorter than a typical CofG story. Before I heard of CS, I just assumed that all of IF games were short, but I couldn’t tell you why. Nonetheless, I consider my games as IF even though they are made in vastly different styles because a) they have some kind of reader/player interaction and b) they are works of fiction. That’s about all I can say about that :stuck_out_tongue:

All these games run on social media platforms, so there’s nothing to download or install.

There’s also no charge to play, and there are no freemium/gem/pay to unlock gimmicks either :+1: All you need is an account on the platform in order to play the game.

Facebook Messenger:

The Adventures of Rogelio Price - Help a 13-year-old kid navigate his first day at a new school.

Madeline Libs - A completely safe for work “Sex in the City” twist on the classic Mad Libs game.

Prisoner 1282 - A horror story with adult themes (but still SFW) in which you suddenly find yourself communicating with a man being held against his will in a mental hospital.

Starship Zumanji - An audio sci-fi themed game suitable for vision-impaired players in which you find yourself waking up aboard the eponymous Starship Zumanji.

Telegram:

Madeline Libs - A completely safe for work “Sex in the City” twist on the classic Mad Libs game.

Starship Zumanji - An audio sci-fi themed game suitable for vision-impaired players in which you find yourself waking up aboard the eponymous Starship Zumanji.

Google Home:

Starship Zumanji - An audio sci-fi themed game suitable for blind or vision-impaired players in which you find yourself waking up aboard the eponymous Starship Zumanji.

Have fun and enjoy! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Note: Links to play are in the title of each game.

12 Likes

Thank this will be pretty useful for me during this quarantine

1 Like

Thanks, I guess (useful? :thinking: )…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting ways to implement a game. I am trying Rogerio and Zumanji on FB – the other two FB games seem to be down.