Seeing game codes

Is it possible to find the game codes for games purchased through steam, and if so where? I’m currently learning choice script, and some examples of how to code many variables in the beginning of my first game is a pain in the ass. What I’m trying to do is questions about character creations in the following order: what gender, race (or at least country of origin), name (because of gender and race affecting the naming process,so Spanish people get Spanish names, English get English names, etc.) and then the age. the couple of links from:

That didn’t help me too much mainly because some I think also rely on other sub folders. The closest was the choice of broadsides example, but I need a copy of the entire games code to see how it was done with the ranks, and names, and honorifics and such. I’m going to make a war game so ranks and honorifics will affect the naming process. At any rate, seeing as mine are steam games, being able to see the codes of my purchased apps will help me learn how to code better. So, does anyone know if codes are available if the apps are purchase through steam? Or can anyone send me the game codes so I can learn?

Let’s see, basic beginners coding stuff:

Not a direct answer to your question, but I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to find most things you need in there. If you’ve got any specific questions, feel free to ask.

To figure out how to see the code itself, try this thread:

4 Likes

The last forum link was what i was mainly talking about, but I missed 1 or 2 of those coding links while searching, thanks.

1 or 2 out of three :smirk: Yay me :tada:

1 Like

Anyway this is a sample of the code I was trying, and to give an idea of what I mean.

*choice
  #Male
    The standard safe choice as a soldier in the times.
    *choice
      #Are you sure this is what you want?
        *choice
          #yes
            *goto race
          #no
            *goto gender

Gender would bring you back to the choice of male or female, race being the race/ country of origin. And I want the type of choice are you sure this is what you want for each thing in case one chooses the wrong thing or changes their mind, then when they decide a sex, then race, they can choose from a specific name list specific to the place. Like if was a man from Russia, they’d choose names like Boris, Ivan, etc.
so this link was helpful to an extent:

However, it doesn’t fully help because I like the option to reset it making sure the choice is indeed what I want. so I’ll have to make names baced on race and sex unlike the link above which is just male or female names.

Edit: I’ll have to do something like this:
*label male_Russian_name
*label male_Italian_name
*label male_English_name
*label male_German_name
*label male_Frecnh_name

*label female_Russian_name
*label female_Italian_name
*label female_English_name
*label female_German_name
*label female_Frecnh_name

Sounds overly complicated. I’ll see if I can whip something up with nested choices.

How to format your code so it can be seen on the forum.

Paste code into window.
Highlight all of the code.
Click the preformatted text button. (It looks like </> and is next to the quote one and on the same bar as the other formatting and smilies choice.)
Click reply.

*label male_Russian_name

*fake_choice
	#Ivan
		*set name "Ivan"
	#Boris
		*set name "Boris"
	#Sergei
		*set name "Sergei"
	#Vladimir
		*set name "Vladimir"
	#Let me input my name
		*input_text name

*goto  Russian_surname

*label male_Italian_name

*fake_choice
	#Leonardo
		*set name "Leonardo"
	#Antonio
		*set name "Antonio"
	#Pablo
		*set name "Pablo"
	#Giovanni
		*set name "Giovanni"
	#Let me input my name
		*input_text name

*goto  Italian_surname

Guess you would need something like this, just need to fill in the blanks:

*label gender
Are you male, female or something else altogether.
*choice
    #You're male
        Are you sure you're male?
        *choice
            #Yes
                *set gender = "male"
                *label maleorigin
                Where are you from. Like, what is your country of origin?
                *choice
                    #You're from France
                        So, you're from France. Is that correct?
                        *choice
                            #Yes
                                *set origin "French"
                                *label french_male_name
                                Alright then. Sounds like a good moment to ask for your name. What is your name?
                                *choice
                                    #French name 1
                                        *set name "French_name_1"
                                        So you're called ${name}. Is that correct?
                                        *choice
                                            #Yes
                                                *label french_surname
                                                Alright then. Now for your surname.
                                                *choice
                                                    #French surname 1
                                                        *set surname "French_surname_1"
                                                        So your surname is ${surname}. Is that correct?
                                                        *choice
                                                            #Yes
                                                                Alright then. Let's get to the actual story.
                                                                *goto storycontinues
                                                            #No
                                                                Well then. Let's do that again.
                                                                *goto french_surname
                                            #No
                                                Alright then. Let's try again.
                                                *goto french_male_name
                                    #French name 2
                                        *set name "French_name_2"
                                        So you're called ${name}. Is that correct?
                                        *choice
                                            #Yes
                                                *goto french_surname
                                            #No
                                                Alright then. Let's try again.
                                                *goto french_male_name
                            #No
                                Well, in that case, let me ask again.
                                *goto maleorigin
                    #You're from Germany

#No
                Oh, alright. Then let me ask again.
                *goto gender
    #Female
        Are you sure you're female?

*label storycontinues

That’s kind of what I was going to do, first names are gender race based, last names are race based. So surnames will be easier then first names lol.

My example is now updated with surnames as well :neutral_face:

@Cecilia_Rosewood is a patient teacher of code mysteries. She helped get me started too.

@Arthur_Wellesley - If I may make a suggestion with regards to name - the audience of these games often have MC (main characters) head-cannoned in mind when choosing a name. It is always popular among the community to allow then to pick their own name if none offered fit. It may not be cultural, historical or even logical but this little freedom often gets mentioned as important to the majority of people.

If you notice all my choices add a make your own name, I just like accurate names as choices if you don’t make up a name. like here:

*label male_Russian_name
*fake_choice
	#Ivan
		*set name "Ivan"
	#Boris
		*set name "Boris"
	#Sergei
		*set name "Sergei"
	#Vladimir
		*set name "Vladimir"
	#Let me input my name
		*input_text name

Notice the end says input name choice on the bottom?