Samurai of Hyuga Book 3 (Patreon/Early Access info on Post 1297!)

How many RO at this point? I will start book one soon just want to know first :blush:

1 Like

So far, two are confirmed.

1 Like

Thank you very much :grin:

1 Like

Well, I wasn’t considering Toshi as a romance at first, and book 3 changed my mind about that actually…so I guess, I don’t hate when characters have a mind of their own, and spring inconvenient feelings on the MC, like Momo and Toshi did.

Some game developers/authors when faced with this issue, go the other extreme, making everything super optional, to the point the MC will always need to go out of their way to initiate and make the first move. Which isn’t a bad thing in of itself…but it does take away some of the element of surprise and suspense, if used too much, and if we can always avoid any kind of love triangle or conflict, by making the right choice.

I didn’t like having to reject Momo either, and especially after what happens in book 3…it feels even worse… but I still enjoyed her character.

So I don’t know, it’s just about striking the right balance I guess.

7 Likes

I don’t think it’s the other characters having feelings for our ronin that’s the issue. It’s the problem that the ronin is compelled to feel attraction to characters even if it doesn’t fit our ronin. I have a straight female ronin who for some reason was always ogling Momoko and noticing her “assets” even though I could give a flying leap. I hated it every time it happened.

All I think is that we are hoping that the author will let us pick our reactions to those types of things in the future instead of forcing emotions or reactions that don’t fit the ronin we play.

10 Likes

I see what you’re saying. I think, it’s still kind of a fine line, even then, between giving the MC some set personality, and keeping them blank slate enough for role play/self insert.

I guess, a lot of that depends on the gender/orientation, and personality type of the ronin you’ve picked… so is a matter of keeping those personality traits and choices consistent, I think.

I had perverted ronin, and your attunment basically goes up every time you flirt shamelessly with anyone, so of course I did that… and the result did seem like my ronin was sending Momo mixed signals and accidentally leading her on. Which meant the scene made sense.

I can imagine it feeling really awkward and out of left field if you were going out of your way to avoid flirting or leading Momo on though. But it still happens, people take things the wrong way. You can still reject her and tell her you aren’t attracted to women, or for other reasons. Same with Toshi you can think about Toshi’s confession at the waterfall scene and decide you aren’t interested.

2 Likes

Honestly I felt it added to the whole anime aspect of it.

True, and I do tell her that. But it still jolts me out of the story (as I’m sure it does for those who aren’t attracted to women) for their character to show attraction like they do. It’s not a big issue so far, just irksome at this point. I’m hoping the author can fix this in the further installments because overall I do enjoy the story. He just needs to add in slight narrative changes based on orientation.

I don’t see how you seeing this as an anime affects the ronin and who they are attracted to… :thinking:

2 Likes

Has anyone solved the final mind puzzle when surrounded by samurai? I haven’t.

Typing in Sensei usually does it for me but from what I’ve seen, there are 4 or 5 more words that you can type in.

1 Like

I’ll try it. Thanks!
How did you figure it out?

First try, I didn’t go with the typed text based choices so I saw every possible word that could be used to pass a scene. Then second try, I went with the typed text choices and pretty much got 100% on everything

This was one of my concern as well when I first played SoH. I have a straight female ronin so it broke the immersion for me. It was somewhat clear to me at that point that SoH has a predefined character but like you, I do hope that the personality we set will reflect future dialogues.

But I have come to realize that whatever orientation we are, some people do tend to appreciate other people’s physical appearance, whether they are of the opposite gender or not. So I have come to terms that my straight Ronin’s inner monologues are like that because she appreciates Momo’s assets or she was just plain observant. :rofl:

1 Like

Then you haven’t watched enough anime, or you would have gotten that joke. :rofl:

Basically this is what I ment by anime feel. Usually characters gay or straight tend to admire a busty figure.:rofl:

1 Like

I think these situations are usually found in animes or mangas catered to the male audience. These don’t usually appear on shoujos. But in real life, this thinking do happen based from my experience anyway.

1 Like

Honestly I miss good shoujos they are way less popular than they used to be, but I admit they had their moments of this. I was more referring to modern anime (most of which is definatly male based).

1 Like

So is the ending with tosh always sad regardless if we romance them or not? Seriously i got hit in the feels from that :cry:.

1 Like

Unfortunately yes it is. I romanced Toshie and I have to admit it broke my heart in half after having to leave her behind and seeing her say “Don’t you see you have a future with us? A future… With me?” Honestly I hope in the next book or two, we can make it up to her.

2 Likes

Yes. I know how you feel though. That line hits hard. :sob:

From the way I see it, our Ronin’s spirt has broken since they couldn’t protect Ige and our Ronin lost the ability to Jigoku. I think this is the part of the story where the MC have to reclaim their skills. According to Devon, we will get to see more Jun/ko in the next book so we might be exploring our past as well. But I believe we’ll get to see them and the rest of gang hopefully soon.

3 Likes

Here’s what I think could happen in the next three books.

Book 4: Meeting up with Junko again and possibly get the Jigoku back.
Book 5: Hunt down the next two demons on their own while avoiding the others at all costs but ends up reuniting with them at the end.
Book 6: That’s when shit gets so real with the last demon. Final battle probably will have the ronin somehow combining the spirit animal and the Jigoku (at least that’s what my theory is after the ending of book 3). Either the ronin dies after the battle or the ronin gets to live out the rest of his life in peace with the others and possibly starting a family with their RO. (Toshie in my case)

5 Likes