Samuel_H_Young: Which gamebook should I write for the Choice of Games contest?

That’s true. I think DAM V3 is the only one which might cause problems in that area. So as far as chances for winning the contest, Kepler; Chess; and Bovine are the better picks, but at the same time, DAM is what I’m most passionate about and it seems like it also has the most interest, at least as far as this poll goes.

Ok not gonna lie…I wanna play as a cow. XD Please? hehehe

1 Like

So far the results are:

Kepler: 2 votes

Bovine: 4 votes

Chess: 4 votes

DAM V3: 3 votes

I’d say start afresh, with a new project, so that you can better adhere to the Choice of Games guidelines. If you aim a game at specifically fulfilling the guidelines, and winning the contest, you might have a better chance of succeeding.

Choice of Games are lacking in games without fantastical elements to them. There’s very little realistic fiction. As such, I’d say go for the Chess Master game.

Or, go for Winter of the Bovine, since there’s no game out there quite like it.

5 Likes

Bovine just sounds so amazing to me. You get to play an animal. And it reveals the horrors of animal agriculture. I wanna see it happen!

1 Like

Thanks for your input, everyone. At first, I was planning on going with Transitions of Power, but now I’m leaning more towards Bovine and Chess, especially as (like Fairygodfeather) pointed out, I’ve only just started them, so it would be easier to mold them with the CoG guidelines in mind.

2 Likes

I followed your post about losing your work and getting better at chess, and think you could really nail either concept on the head, especially a super unique one like Bovine. Watched your interview at the rally, as well. Congratulations. (Kinda late. Sorry. Just recently got an account on here).

Thanks, I really appreciate it. :slight_smile:

I believe Chess would be better once I’ve reached Master level, so I can have some personal experience in what the story is about, since it will need lots of research and accuracy. So, that being said, I believe I’ll probably be writing Bovine for the contest.

1 Like

Good luck to you, sir! I cannot wait!

1 Like

Well if you’re backing off of entering ToP, then my vote would go to Bovine.

I’m sure you could make it work, but it seems like it would be very hard to write a chess game that gets into the mechanics, and more importantly, strategy, without either confusing novices or frustrating more skilled players. And I would think you’d need some images as well, but I could be wrong about that.

To me, Bovine seems better suited to supporting a powerful narrative with more thought-provoking, gut wrenching decisions that really strike to the core of the reader’s worldview and really different paths that naturally flow from said choices. Although would you actually play as the bovine? It seems the bovine’s agency would be necessarily limited. I mean, how would the bovine actually accomplish anything? Perhaps an option could be a worker struggling to feed his family and willing to take any lousy job to pay the bills is troubled by what he sees and has to make some tough choices?

1 Like

Yeah, it would be difficult, but I think I could pull it off. Most CoG fans aren’t particularly into pro wrestling, but Slammed was a bestseller. As long as I write the story well and make it accessible to non-experiemced or non-chess players while also keeping it interesting for club players and Masters, I should be okay.

I’m definitely sticking with the MC being a calf. I believe it will deliver a stronger message that way, and it will also be unique in that it’ll be the only CoG where you play as a non-human animal, aside from Dragon.

1 Like

Speaking of which, my curiosity precedes me. What decisions, exactly, will we be making as a calf? Because I don’t think I could ever tackle anything like that and make it great.

Basically interacting with fellow calves, human workers, and natural predators on the factory farm, and in general trying to survive. Once I get a new computer, I should have a demo out soon afterwards.

1 Like

You aren’t doing Chess this time?

Cow-ard. :smiley:

1 Like