Royal Affairs Discussion Thread and Romance Guide (Spoilers Within)

Hi @HarrisPS ! Happy New Year! I have a question. Can we romance Beaumont without getting into polygamous relationship with Trevelyan, or is it always polygamous regardless if we choose either Beaumont and Trevelyan? Is it also the same with the other polygamous pairing? I think it was with Asher and Hyacinthe.

Edit: polyamorous**

Me too, actually. I just got lucky enough to have a family who are all even shorter (except my little cousin who towers over the rest of us at the tender age of 12).

Happy new year, and thank you for the well wishes!

Asher and Hyacinthe aren’t polyamorous, and you can indeed romance Beaumont or Trevelyan separately from each other :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But can’t they like each other and the MC at the same time?

Not really, though I guess it could be interpreted that way when playing. Them having the possibility of getting into a romance is blocked off if the MC has expressed romantic interest in either of them. I would like to try writing a love triangle someday, but it wasn’t quite right for this MC and characters!

3 Likes

I can see ABSOLUTELY NO WAY in which putting me and Javi in close quarters and forcing us to interact with marriage aspirations can go wrong. There’s going to be so many fireworks the Chinese are going to move like fifty years into the future.

6 Likes

Thank you! Ah, I confused some things then. I am glad that I can romance characters that can be in polyamorous relationship separately. It’s just I felt discouraged to move forward their romance paths. Nice to know that it can be mono too.

4 Likes

Sentence ends/starts kinda weird, typo?

1 Like

I’d wager it’s a code hiccup that doesn’t put in Dom’s name or pronoun at the start of the second sentence. There was a similar situation with the drinks scene in the market.

3 Likes

Yep! A conditional bit of text that joined up awkwardly to the next paragraph. Thank you and that’ll be corrected next time I update!

4 Likes

I, uh, have a request… When MC is asked about their opinion on the political situation and who would they support, can we have a little clarification of things that MC obviously knows but the player doesn’t? Like, what does the parliament stand for, what does the queen stand for openly, what does she stand for in her heart (if there’s a difference and MC knows it ofc). The fact that she’s been “relatively hands-on” doesn’t explain much. I mean, i can assume the parliament’s opinion, but it feels like a huge leap of faith when my Gaelen says “i support my mother” like a good prince and i’m clueless about what ideas exactly he just supported in eyes of others :smiley:

Would be really helpful to add a paragraph or two clarifying what MC knows about current political situation to better navigate in conversations about it… especially when MC is the kind of person who prefers to avoid flat statements.

7 Likes

I THINK that choice isn’t so much about their specific positions on any actual matters as it is about the form of governance in general. As in, do you support the hereditariness of the royal family holding high amounts of power, or are you more in favour of power resting more in the hands of elected representatives.

2 Likes

That’s what i’m talking about, i have my ideas about meanings of these choices, too. Some of them might even be correct. But the game has three seemingly important balance scales, for the government, for citizens’ contentment, and for foreign relations, and being a person who is able to shift these scales and whose opinion carries some weight, i would really want to have a clear understanding of what exactly i’m saying and doing, not have to base my choices on suppositions (which is unreliable) or scroll through the script (which is cheating) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes of course! I’ll edit that section a bit to make things clearer. When I originally wrote it, I was eager for it to not be an info dump but of course that can go too far in he other direction!

7 Likes

Could it be possible for MC to offer people to call them just by their name if you chose to be addressed Heir MC or Your Highness? Would be so nice to allow, for example, Asher and your RO to call you just by your name while having others still address you formally. Different level of intimacy for different people adds a lot to the vibe.

I imagine something like @{nameallowed $!{name} | $!{title}}? It’s understandable if it will be too much trouble to add all these things throughout the game, and i hope it won’t come across as a demand. But would be super neat if it’s somehow possible, at least, you know, for private scenes when you’re alone - they might still address you formally in the public. <3

3 Likes

I saw that Asher actually reacts to you openly flirting with Javi if you are pursuing them. Though there isn’t really an option to call them out on their flirting when you first meet Hyacinthe. Perhaps I’m just looking at it too deep?

4 Likes

@Christian.Valentine yes, I like that a lot - it would be a nice characterful thing to have to show how different people treat the MC differently, and it can be a lovely moment for the MC and a RO or close friend to discuss. I will have a think about when would be a good point for it to be!

@Caspiera it’s true that non-romanced Asher acts more admiring towards Hyacinthe when you first meet them. I’ll have a think about how this interacts with starting a romance with Asher after Chapter 2 (either way, the MC telling Asher they’re into them overrides anything else. The MC is Asher’s priority). I don’t see their behaviour as flirty if you’re not romancing them, but! a few other players have mentioned this too, so perhaps I have a different interpretation. I’m going to edit the romancing-Asher wording a little to emphasise that romanced-Asher admired the performance but doesn’t have a particular interest in Hyacinthe romantically.

13 Likes

Hm… I’m curious how you’re planning to integrate all the variables of the CdlC characters going to different places. Do all these places show up in the story? Or do some characters just not appear depending where you decided they went? (FWIW I have so far only played the demo of CdlC, not the full version, so I kinda just made stuff up for most of that section)

I won’t go into too much detail here as it’ll spoil a bunch of things from Creme de la Creme, but there are some situations where characters from CdlC show up - albeit quite briefly, as I wanted to differentiate Royal Affairs from CdlC and make it accessible whether or not people have played the previous game. A character or two may be referenced by others in RA, if you choose to have the game reference past events at the beginning. And the CdlC protagonist can appear onscreen under some circumstances too - again it’s generally fairly brief.

But there are a lot of Creme ending situations where the protagonist wouldn’t appear or be particularly mentioned in RA at all. In those cases they’re just off doing their own thing and living their life.

12 Likes

Hm, perhaps a (probably?) less spoilery question then – Where are Gallatin, Archambault, and Fenburg (which seems to be a city and not a school?) in relation to each other? My impression is that Fenburg is somewhere in Zaledo but I could easily be mistaken.

2 Likes