Rent-a-Vice — What doesn’t kill you…kills someone else

The games setting and the ideas the author had were intresting and well made but I think that he/she failed at making your MC feel needed in the story. I never once in the story felt that my MC brought something new to the table. The MC was just a means to convey the story.

10 Likes

It’s very good - explores addiction and exploitation in a futuristic noir setting, with a strong main character at its core. Really good writing. I’d recommend taking a look at the demo and seeing what you think.

(Old, though? It’s only been out two and a half weeks!)

3 Likes

Haven’t read it yet, but you can always go on the app store and check the reviews there. :blush:

1 Like

…No. Personally, not really. And I bought it while it was on sale during the first week.

2 Likes

I quite liked it, I enjoyed the story and for me it was easy to get in character. However it might not be that easy for everyone. The game relies a lot on stat choices and it was too much ‘pick a side’ for me. Played it once and it really left an impression but I do not feel like replaying it anytime soon. Maybe in a few months or so. It’s not really replay worthy in my opinion. Like the others said, play the demo and see if you want to continue or not.

3 Likes

It looks really interesting; thanks for letting us know!

I have to agree. I stopped reading after Mike killed himself because I wasn’t able to save him. I couldn’t take it. I mean I think I was warned enough or rather maybe I was too excited? That I overlooked the trigger warnings, but the content was rather triggering… On the plus side, I want to commend the originality and the written work itself. It’s my first time encountering such and I thought this would be the usual, but no. It’s dark and disturbing and scary and I think the way you wrote it captured the essense of it. I mean, I still bought it anyway, but I couldn’t finish it.

Can someone please tell me how to romance Doug and Mike? I have no idea and always end up either dead or alone :slight_smile:

Would it be possible to update this so I can use they/them pronouns for myself? Those are my pronouns and while I don’t self insert in games I’m most comfortable using they/them for all my characters

Personally I don’t really get the hype about this game, and it’s nothing to do with its age. I bought it a while back and only just got around to playing it, but I bought it because of being interested in the premise, and the fact that it won the award made me think it must be something pretty special, but I found it pretty dang underwhelming. Very average.

Incredibly short, and yes, to me it did feel rushed even for its length - particularly the relationships. I’d have either preferred they forget the relationships altogether and make the game itself a bit longer and more exciting, or spend a bit more time in making the relationships feel meaningful rather than kind of flat and shoehorned in. The main story was just ‘okay’; pretty unexciting, and never really made me feel like my character was anything special. By that I mean, it would have been nice if the MC could really feel like a cut above the rest in intelligence/deductive skills, especially if they were eventually to be branded “the greatest PI in the city”. Funny! But I guess it must be a pretty small city, or the standard is just incredibly low.

1 Like