Rent-a-Vice — What doesn’t kill you…kills someone else

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, stron- wait a second!!!
(First bit is the song)XD

I think you will have at least 2-3 ending depending on which sides you choose

for a 150k words games, i think it is standard…not short , although i agree the story should be and could be longer… because the author had create a BIG world with endless possibilities , the world should be utilise more , but overall i don’t think it is short …

5 Likes

@LeBaloo I think the game feels short because it’s empty. njl puts it very well:

There’s a lot of possibilities but it doesn’t go anywhere. It’s rushed, no time to develop anything, it sets up things with no payoff, don’t have time to understand and think about the main conflict that you already have to pick a side. I don’t know how to romance the RO somehow?? It’s very frustrating, especially considering the heavy themes and how close it hits home on certain aspects. I really want to like it but it’s just the bare bones of a story. That said I’d happily repay for it if it was reworked and rereleased!

6 Likes

Who drew the cover for Rent-a-Vice? It’s so pretty.

4 Likes

George Cotronis.
You can check artists etc on the about page (dont feel bad, many dont acknowledge it)

2 Likes

How do I start a relationship with serena

Played it. Enjoyed. This is one of the few games I’ve played where I was able to get a character to be exactly what I wanted them to be.

I’ll have you know that the author has added an additional “tea” #option there.

1 Like

I enjoyed this one a lot! It’s very tightly put together and feels in keeping with the noir genre while putting a fresh and inventive cyberpunk spin on it. I very much appreciated that the VE feeders were presented as fully fleshed out people who were potentially vulnerable to exploitation but not damsels in distress.

1 Like

Honestly it kind of feels like a draft instead of the full version. Its very short and it barely touches some of the most interesting parts of its world; also the relationships with some characters and the events that happen in the story are rushed as hell. Oh well, despite all this i still loved it. The writing was excellent, the story was dark but not really grimderp, addictions and such were adressed in an interesting way and the world it created was amazing.

4 Likes

I’m going to be a little grumpy about the word “rushed” for a minute. Bear with me.

You, as a player feel rushed in a given scene. Or may feel the game is short, and that’s a semi-fair criticism. It’s 150,000 words. But it’s not short and rushed. Our games are supposed to have multiple things you can pursue, and they do that in games as short as 135,000 words or as long as 600,000 words.

We’ve released games that are four times as long as Rent-a-Vice. (Maybe, fair warning: if you see a game is 150,000 words or under, you’re going to feel “rushed” regardless, because that game is never going to go into those multiple things in that amount of space in a way you will find satisfying.)

But in general I want to dispense with the notion that any of our games are rushed in terms of how fast they are written/edited. Or the criticism that this is a “draft” not a game. It’s a game. You don’t have to like how deeply the author went into things, or you may wish it were longer, but it took over a year to write and edit, it’s longer than most novels, and it’s designed to be replayable, so you can get different outcomes and do different things.

Asking “Is the game short or the story rushed” – you get two options here. Either the game is only about one thing which you pursue to whatever would be a satisfying depth for you in the space of 150,000 words, in which case your criticism would be “It’s boring! It’s only about X!” OR you get a swiftly moving (I guess, to you, “rushed”) story which has several different things to pursue.

Not all of our games are going to be 600,000 words long. If you aren’t satisfied by a game that’s 150,000 save your pennies to buy Choice of the Cat, Tally Ho, Choice of Rebels, Silverworld, Robots, Empyrean. They’re long.

10 Likes

Personally I’d say it felt “rushed” as in the plot moved to fast (noted during beta) as in
“You go to place x. It is exactly the right location, and you get just the info needed. Then you go to y and immediately get the next info revealed”.

It felt a bit… overwhelming how fast and easy we discovered things pretty much the moment we looked for them.
It’s far from a bad story, but it feels a bit like a “previously on” recap segment, given how we go from important bit to important bit with not much of distraction or red herrings.

9 Likes

My point is, that in order to have more than one thing happen in a game of that length, then it by nature, the form of our games, means that you may feel “rushed.”

1 Like

Agreed.
Let’s maybe say it lacked a bit of flesh? Not much.
I can only speak for myself but to me it felt as if I was heading towards a gruesome reveal and that I’ve been a pawn to everyone “nice” to me, as “easily” as i uncovered stuff.

Sorry

6 Likes

I would use a different term, how about …"Fast Pace " ?

Although , i agree perhaps there should be few more cases to solve in order to get into bottom and more character interaction should be include for their relationship …

@Mary_Duffy uses the word “depth” in her post and that is the word that should be keyed on for these critiques.

The writing, grammar, continuity, and coherence are all top notch, showing that the development itself was not rushed or accelerated in an unfinished manner.

As Mary says, the amount of exploration allowed at each plot points is what is at issue. You can’t go into the depths of the VE clubs you visit, or the moblike loanshark you got your seed money from is not built-up in the same level of depth that you might wish to get to know him or what makes him tick …

The formula for this game is no different than Choice of the Cat or Tally Ho! and it is a solid formula that allows for several replays and differing outcomes.

While I am the type of reader that prefers deep stories and games (800 pages in a fantasy book is often too short for me) this game is refreshingly polished, refined and developed. It is because of its polish and refinement that the lack of depth to each plot point stands out more.

I do hope the author will come back with another but this time I hope it is a 600,000-word offering because I think she is a wonderful and inspirational writer.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed this game. It was dark and moody and genuinely shocked me at points which is really hard to do. That bit where you do every VE and you have to describe your own vice nightmare? The way that was handled should have felt like a cop out, but it left me speechless instead, mostly because I put actual thought into my answers.

I’m starting to think we’re getting a bit spoiled by the huge games being released lately. 150k words is a BIG novel. That’s a lot of writing and code. My upcoming werewolves CoG is a bit shy of 300k and it’s taken me a year and a half of daily dedication, 20-30 hours a week on top of my day job. Authors put their hearts and souls into these things.

Did some things feel like they moved a little fast here? Sometimes, yeah. But to me it felt like a noir film should: Dirty and to the point, focused on the main character and their mission. I had a real sense of who I was here, and the choices kept me unexpectedly invested in my hard-drinking, addicted loser who finds​ a cause worth fighting for. I found the relationship with Doug kinda came out of nowhere, but on reflection, it just sorta worked as he drifted into my life while I lost everything else that mattered to me in a haze of addiction and misplaced devotion. It’s the kind of thing I’ve seen happen in real life. Sometimes life is messy, and it doesn’t always make perfect sense.

I can’t really overstate how much I enjoyed this one. It’s actually the first CoG that I’ve felt compelled to point out to family and friends. Great work.

5 Likes

I think I can (at least for me personally) put my finger on why it felt rushed to me (aside from that it kinda felt as if the answers were handed out):
A lot of the game is connected with choices one might not have the spoons for (i certainly hadn’t always during beta) sorta cutting the game rather short if you try to avoid a potentially stressful situation.

On that note though: Major kudos for adding in trigger warnings, and handling the subjects with tact.

4 Likes

I bought the game right after the free intro ended, it was just that good. But It kinda… lost me during the way. For several reasons that many comments before me have mentioned. The game being fast-paced that it might feel rushed, not much connection to the ROs, all that jazz.

But I wanna comment on the trigger warnings system. I REALLY appreciated it. I even wish other choice games would have this system as well. Although a lot of games I’ve played weren’t necessarily… graphic in details? I still think that for some games, trigger warnings system like this would’ve served them well. So potentially triggering subjects can be warned in advanced. And in this game, there were lots of sensitive subjects (for me at least). And having those warnings helped.

The conversation about your scars touched me. For a moment there, I was talking instead of my character. When he said “I’m glad you did.” when I said I didn’t even know why I toldhim about my self-harm scars? It was just. Idk. Comforting I suppose. I would never be so honest about it in real life. I really, really like that part.

5 Likes

Hey guys, I just wanted to know if Rent-a-Vice is worth it. The concept seems interesting and it might actually be fun to read through, but is it worth to buy it as a whole? Thanks. (And i know this one is a little old but i would like to know anyway.)