Rent-a-Vice — What doesn’t kill you…kills someone else

I got together with her, I did the following:

• We loved each other more then anything in the world.
  • She left me, wanted someone else. I drunk myself into a stupor.
  • Tried to get early to deliver our child.
  • Went to her concert.
  • Went directly to the hospital when our daughter got hurt.
  • Played alimony on time.
  • At the gun scene where someone dies I dropped to the floor because I didn’t want to leave my child alone.
  • Left the case and everything behind because I just wanted someone to love me.
  • Then call your ex.

Funny thing is I was a fucking dick to her because my char was very bitter over getting dumped. And saw himself as a deeply cynical, pessimistic and flawed mess. But his child was his world and bright spot. So he did everything in his power to male everything perfect for her.

2 Likes

OK I seriously can’t figure out how to get back with the ex. How do you do it?! I keep just getting this alone ending when I do everything to spend time with her and the kid and have over 90% parenting. It really shouldn’t be this hard.

1 Like

I really liked this game. I think it’s one of my favorite CoG’s to come out in a long time. I will agree that some of the relationships felt rushed because the story was so short. It seemed like I was supposed to have strong feelings about people and concepts after being just barely introduced to them.

I really liked the user/feeder idea, and those scenes hit very close to home for me. I think if I lived in this world I would be lost. I’m not sure if I’d be a feeder or a user, but I’d be lost on one side or the other. That’s I think the best thing about this book. The world is rich and dark, and sparks my imagination to try and see myself living there.

The story we got to play probably could have used a little more time to develop. Playing as and with characters as rich as this world would have been something magical.

5 Likes

I just played the demo and I’m kind of wondering why VE is so much more popular than VR. Is that just artistic licence? Is it a spoiler?

I think the problem is that I tried to save the feeder girl (can’t remember her name). I don’t even know why I did that but I think the game assumed I had feelings for her..

Other than that I did everything else as you did.

It has some vage explanations. But don’t expect much.

@Mannis
@Yippie
@thegreatlorddragon

It’s very possible to get back with the ex, and you can do basically anything beforehand, including saving Sendra/Mike/Chalidah.

In order to get back with your ex, you must choose to call them in the final chapter before the epilogue. It doesn’t matter if you save a feeder, it doesn’t matter if you find the missing person. You have to specifically, right at the end, call them. The final chapters are kind of a maze codewise, but I saved Chalidah, found the missing person and gave a speech. After that, it asked me to call somebody. As long as you pick your ex and have an okay relationship, you should get that ending. I also got it by saving Chalidah, finding the missing person, and choosing not to give a speech.

If your ex visits you in the hospital, just don’t choose the options to be with “someone I care about.” The game assumes you don’t care about your ex and thus you’re locked out of the ending. As long as you still have shared custody of your child and the stat screen says things are “stable” or “very well”, you should have the option to call them at the end.

You should pick the “Someone I care about” options, as long as you are not visited by your ex.

Also, if you’re visited by the missing person, don’t tell them to address the press. Either talk to the press yourself or tell the missing person your work is done and you’re out. Having the missing person address the press locks you into one of three nonromantic endings.

2 Likes

Hello! Just want to request to use the spoiler tag or hide details. The game is barely out and some haven’t done playing it yet. =)

For the spoiler tag:
[ spoilers ] insert details here. Should be used per paragraph [ /spoilers ] without the spaces

For the hide summary
[ details ] insert details here. [ /details ] Without the spaces.

2 Likes

Then thats where I got it wrong. I Told the missiing person to talk to press. It doesn’t make much sense, though. Why Should it lock the romance options ?

Went back in and spoilered a few posts. I’ll update our flags to specifically mention spoilers as one of the options when I have a moment.

Note that I did it en masse, so I didn’t read every post. If I spoilered your post and you’re certain it doesn’t contains spoilers, you can unspoiler it.

5 Likes

@resuri08 Sorry, in my haste to post I forgot to blur the spoilers. I’ll make sure to blur any further spoilers.

@Mannis Like I said, that chapter kinda seems like a maze in the code. I don’t see why telling the missing person to talk to the press to lock you out of romance, it just kind of ends the chapter without giving you an option to choose a romance. It limits you to choosing to want to be a politician, private investigator, or a nobody. It’s very frustrating, especially because only the politician aspiration significantly changes the epilogue. You can get the good PI ending without choosing the PI option, and being a nobody just adds a few lines of writing.

I myself had a different problem in the final chapters, because I was never paid for finding the missing person. Talking to the press yourself means that you never get paid for some reason. I assumed that I’d call the client afterwards to finish the case, but it didn’t happen, so I didn’t get to pay off my debt, which hurt my business.

Aside from that, I actually really enjoyed the epilogue where you get back with your ex. It’s very sweet and touching.

1 Like

Wait. How on earth did you save Chalida?

It’s possible. Taking the bullet for Mike, Sendra, or Chalidah is a reflexes check. If you have over 30 reflexes, you can take the bullet for Mike or Sendra. If you have 40 reflexes, you can jump in front of Chalidah. You also need over 30 reflexes to avoid being shot if you try to protect yourself.

Wow okay. Then the way it was written, I so didn’t understand how to do that right. In my mind, it was basically:
Gun is pointed at Chalida.
Jump infront of Chilida, without her the movement will die. (but she’s so far away there’s little chance you’ll make it.)
Jump infront of Mike/Sendra, but things will go on fine there and people will easily move on. (but they don’t have a gun pointed at them, so why would you do that?)
Save yourself. (but look like an asshole)

1 Like

Yeah, its a little weird. Basically whoever you try to protect is the one getting shot. If you try to save Chalidah, the gunman is aiming at her. If you try to save Mike or Sendra, the gun’s pointing at them. And if you try to save yourself, he’s aiming at you. So you could also save Chalidah by jumping in front of Mike or Sendra, since either you take the bullet, or they die instead of Chalidah. Interestingly, protecting yourself has you get shot if you’re too slow, but has Chalidah get shot if you’re fast enough.

1 Like

Spoiler Free review: I felt like a kid who had a whole box of cool toys and I wasn’t able to play with any of them. Just sort of stare longingly at them thinking about possibilities.

Spoiler review: This game’s world has so much potential which is why I’m sad that I felt like we barely touched the surface. First, the MCs occupation. It has nothing to do with the meat of the story. We apparently have massive debt although I’m not sure why? I figured it was because the MC was addicted to VE, but that wasn’t the case. Also, I figured the MC would have the opportunity to work as a feeder to pay off the debt but that’s not possible either. So you have this whole system in place and you’re not connected to any of it. I just thought that was a strange choice.

Next, you have an ex and a kid. I didn’t mind this because I think exploring this type of relationship is a great idea. It’s not seen often seen, especially in games. But the whole relationship felt shallow which is not what I expect from two people who were married. There was no backstory of why they got together, why they loved each other, why they broke up (unless it’s because the MC is working too hard?), why does the dad hate us. Our backstory is bare bones and I understand why they did that because we want to be able to build our own character, but it felt like just another RO. Spend time with kid, call ex, get back together. Instead, during the times you choose to spend together, maybe you could’ve developed the backstory there. Give choices about your past relationship. As it was, It was mostly platitudes and cliches. You are my anchor. My son is the reason I keep going. I loved them more than anything else in the world Like it’s nice but I was hoping there’d be more exploration about a broken marriage.

Lastly, things just happening for plot convenience or forced conflict. Are you really telling me that your ex wouldn’t understand you not answering right away because you were trying to save someone from suicide? Your child isn’t dying. Maybe if the message was ‘child’ is in the hospital, get here right now! I’d understand but they could’ve just been crying for all we know. And how does this random kid know about the MC? Also the whole speech thing at the gala. My character didn’t have connection to VE and they weren’t charming, so why would anyone listen to them give a speech? There are so many strange examples of this. It just felt like the story was struggling between making you go down a set path and giving you the ability to shape your character and it didn’t really succeed at either. And the constant asking about whether I’d made the right choice got a little old. I get it, the choices are morally gray.

I don’t know, I just expected more. It had hints of something good, but they never developed into anything in my opinion.

14 Likes

Well I finally got the back with the ex ending. This game does have some good ideas but it is a bit of a mess. And the ending seems rushed. I thought the shooting scene was going to be just the beginning of a larger third act but nope.

2 Likes

Okay I’ve read some of the reviews, and what concerns me is that the game is apparently short.
So I have two questions for you before I buy it (I enjoyed the free demo so far so it’s really about the lenght of the game).
1-is the replay value good ? What matters to me is the fact that:
-you can make different decisions at some key moments, (not that many, two or three are enough) and have significant differences between the paths you take (like key characters dying, and impacting the rest of the game for exemple).
-statwise and behavior-wise there are enough minor differences to justify a different playstyle
2-is the game just short ? or more accuratly is the story rushed ? I don’t mind a CoG being short if the story is well told and tell eveything it has to says, without rushing over some plotholes or things like that, and if the replay value is acceptable (just doing it twice or a third time is usually enough).

1 Like

Judging the reaction here, it’s leaning more to some issues of the story have not been very conclusive.

2 Likes
  1. I don’t think you’ll have the desire to play it more then once for different endings. MAYBE twice. But it’s a matter of, the lady might die, or the man might die. I think most people here just did one playthrough, got an ending, and moved on.
  2. It feels really rushed. There’s ALOT of stuff there, and no matter what you do you’re gunna be left with alot of questions about WHY.

I mean, if you wanna take the gamble, do it now while it’s still on sale, but when I was done I felt a bit of buyers remorse, if I’m being 100% honest here.

7 Likes