Questions about incomplete works

@LanaRose

As I mentioned, I intend to refrain from any further argument. However, pointing out the rules, if this were an argument in my perception, might be the most valid. Regardless, hostility is never a response. While yes, I used the word compensation, I should have clarified my meaning, and it appear aggressive. Secondly, my question was intended for the general public of the forums, regarding if they had news. It was more intended as a, albeit aggressive, request on posts that could answer my question. However, if that is as well considered part of the violation of rules, then my most humble apologies.

My disdain lie in my view of those aforementioned stories. You used ZE: E as an example, and a good one. When i purchased it, initially I was unaware that it was only a part. However, after looking into it, I came to realize that the author, on release, had initially stated that it was a work in progress. While disheartened, it was only at the anxiety of waiting for the additional content, that if requiring payment, I will render in full, with glee (While ZE was amazing, I feel like Exodus even stepped up the game, allowing more freedom, but I digress). However, I do not feel entitled to a refund. I am also aware that the authors of these fine works most likely do this in their off time between their job and social lives. So, all in all, I do apologize for the aggressive nature of my original wording. There was no intent on entitlement or a demand. Thus is the unfortunate bi-product of communication through text, as it lacks non-verbal communication.

However, my only remaining argument is that there is no place, in any business, for hostility exhibited by the moderator. Just because this is the internet, does not warrant such behavior. Yes, my post was aggressive, but it was not hostile. They are not mutually exclusive. That principle alone might very well be why I chose to defend my argument, which, as you see, has been amended. Long story short, one cannot fight fire with fire. If I came off kind of rude, which I seemed to have, the response of incredible rudeness is a large escalation, thus leading to the moment we are in now.

Note: The opinions expressed regarding the aforementioned works, were merely a recap of my previous, but now different opinion, as it has been changed with rational discussion to show me where I was wrong. Anyways, I’m shutting up now. I am finished trying to sound smart, regardless of it’s success or failure.

(Edit: response to additional post)

I’m disappointed that you see it as name calling, rather than a critique of the language and attitudes displayed in your original post. And heavens, son, it’s not hostility. It’s a response at exactly the same level as talk about “deception” and your implicit right to a refund.

Had you indeed kicked off this discussion with:

you’d have received a very different response, and not only from me.

Technically, Lotus is right that “Are follow ups in the works? Have the authors given up?” is against forum rules. Nothing else you said is, in my view, rule-breaking, unless “Don’t sound arrogant or entitled” was added to the rules list when I wasn’t looking. None of it merits flag-censoring, let alone banning you or anyone else. But it is worth a response, for the benefit of other people who share the attitudes you expressed.

The problem is not that you were factually incorrect regarding the authors’ (or CoG’s) intent to deceive you. Framing the issue using the language of deceit and compensation is unreasonable in the first place, as @catorrina expressed well.

When I wrote my response, you still seemed convinced that you had been reasonable in using the language of “deceived into purchasing an incomplete product” to describe the situation if the authors of Unnatural and SYP had given up on finishing their games.

“The unfounded confidence that you’re being reasonable” is an excellent working definition of arrogance, and a willingness to consider that maybe you’re not being right or reasonable the only effective antidote. As for entitlement, you expressed repeatedly that you believe you (and all other customers who bought Unnatural and SYP) are entitled to a sequel. I think Gaiman’s blog on “Entitlement Issues” captures perfectly why this is unreasonable.

As ever, if you feel a mod has behaved inappropriately, please take the complaint to @RETowers and @jasonstevanhill.

6 Likes