Question: Hosting my own game made form CS using CSIDE

I have been playing CS games for more than a year now, but only recently discovered that the underlying code is available for anyone to try it out… Firstly, a big thanks to you guys… :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

Another big thanks to the developers of CSIDE :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

My question is:

If I write a game in my native language, using CSIDE and export it as a package, can I host it on my own?

Will I be required to pay for any licensing for CS and/or CSIDE?

Please clarify… TIA!

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum <3

IIRC you need to pay a license ONLY if you’ll go to make money out of it without publishing through CoG/HG

One option would maybe be to write it bilingual and publish it through hosted games?

2 Likes

If you are referring to publishing your game under the Hosted Games label, I refer you to this page;

As it states, you can only write your game in English. Otherwise, if that is not the case, you may host your story with Dashington (https://dashingdon.com/). Though, I may recommend doing @MeltingPenguins suggestion as an alternative.

There is no licensing to pay for ChoiceScript (CSIDE is not even an official tool endorsed by COG, simply a community tool to help with making stories, so there is no licensing attached anyways), so long as you do not intend to publish outside COG/HG.

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed reply, really useful… :grinning: :+1: :+1:

Thank you, yes, I have that idea too… :grinning: :+1:

I’m going to assume that you would be exporting the game in a .html format. Then if you intend to make money out of it, you could publish it through Hosted Games for free, pay CoG money if you wish to publish it from outside, as @MIGSey said, or you could take @MeltingPenguins’ suggestion; write it bilingual and publish it through HG.

One of the WIPs in forum, The Ultimate Worst Student, is being written in the way @MeltingPenguins suggested here.

I don’t think you need to pay for CSIDE (unless you want to help the developer, which is by your own agency) since it is a community tool, rather than being an official one, pointed by @MIGSey.

You do need to pay for the CS license if you wish to publish outside of CoG/HG.

Aww, my reply’s obsolete now :sweat_smile: :joy:

Also, before I forget, welcome to the forum :grin: Mandatory cookies from me :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

3 Likes

Note that “publish” in this case means “sell”. You can release a work for free if you’re not making any money from it.

5 Likes

Thank you for the detailed reply. No, your reply is not obsolete, it does gives more insight and clarity… :grinning: :+1: :+1:

Thanks for the welcome… :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for the Clarification… :grinning: :+1:

1 Like