Quarantine readings?

Hey!
Sooooo a lot of us are quarantined, and we might be that way for awhile. Luckily this community has so.many great IFs to read!!! My extrovert ass has been trying to find ways to socialize virtually, to stay sane. I have had many Roll20 Dungeon runs, I am an actor so I have also had a few play readings with a group of friends on Zoom…and it made me wonder - would anyone in this community want to do an IF reading on Zoom or Skype or whatever platform is easiest? We wouldn’t record it or anything, just read it together…like a play? We would all need to have the same IF purchased and available to read, and each of us would woukd need to take a roll (or just waych/listen if that’s what you want) Whomever is the designated MC gets to make the choices (or all those involved in the read could vote on it, OOOH OR IF THE AUTHOR WAS INVOLVED THEY COULD CHOOSE!!! anyway we could decide the rules ahead of time… and we would all basically hit the decided choice on our phone/tablet/computer and read from there. We could do it once a week and someone new could choose each week, what we will read next… Together. I am just trying to stay social atleast a few times a week, and most of what I read are scripts and IFs, and this just seems like it might be nice, since this is such a tight community. It may help those of us who are feeling depressed in isolation and/or bring us closer together…anyway if you have interest let me know. Here or over message. If not, that’s cool too! I hope you are safe and well regardless!!! :heart:

21 Likes

That would be amazing! Although being in a different time zone means I likely wouldn’t be able to participate.

Still, that is an excellent idea. A few communities I am involved with have been implementing something similar.

3 Likes

That would be fun

3 Likes

That’s such a cool idea! I’m too shy to participate myself (plus my house is actually full of people who would wonder why I’m doing a dramatic English reading :sweat_smile:) but I’d totally listen in if it’s a reasonable hour in my country.

For a game that everyone can get access to easily, what about choosing one of the ones that are temporarily free? Out of that selection I’ve only played Hollywood Visionary and I think it’d be a fun one, the creative decisions for the movie get crazy enough with only one person playing so I can only imagine how it would turn out with everyone giving input. :rofl:

There’s also the classic free ones, like Choice of the Vampire, and it isn’t listed in the post I linked above, but I seem to remember the first part of Choice of Romance was also free? That one could be a lot of fun too. And there’s also the Heart’s Choice ones, which could work if you do a chapter per session. I’m not sure if romance games would appeal to people for this sort of thing though? (For some reason I’m mostly thinking of the comedic potential here :face_with_hand_over_mouth:).

6 Likes

Oh my goodness! I am already blushing at the thought of reading some of those steamier scenes out loud.

3 Likes

This sounds interesting and very fun! Especially because my school was supposed to have a play that I had a role in as a side character. Although I’m not sure if my timezone will give me enough time

3 Likes

[Is suddenly reminded of all steamy scenes he writes.] Uh oh, I’ll pass. :joy:

3 Likes

Ok I will try and figure out logistics and message those interested! I am going to try and read one aloud with my fam at home and see if It actually works or if it is too hard to pick out Dialogue pieces when it isnt written in play form…(also, there is usually a fade to black choice for steamy scenes, yes? We dont have to embarrass anyone) anyway…I will look into it, thanks for your interest/tips!

4 Likes

It’s a ‘perhaps’ on my end, but if I have the time, I’d like to participate too.

The shy-er ones like me can rest easy knowing that there’s an option in Zoom to join a group without video and without audio coming out of your side, pretty much turning you into a spectator of sorts. You can still type in the chat room, too.

1 Like

You’d be welcome to play the beta of Vampire. That’d be free for everyone.

6 Likes

This sounds like a blast!

1 Like

This is an AMAZING idea! :point_up: :point_up: :point_up:

My only request is that it be held in the morning time if the reader is in the USA so that the rest of us can participate as well (during our afternoons/evenings).

3 Likes

Sounds awesome, the problem is that everyone lives in different time zones making it rather hard to coordernate. That and I have school work…

2 Likes

it’s a really fun idea :] i’d definitely want to participate if i can make it work with timezones and coursework! maybe i’ll be able to put my broken quarantine sleep schedule to good work!

3 Likes

Would love to see this idea happen!

1 Like

i praying this all come to an end very soon . but thanks for ideas to keep us going

2 Likes

I would absolutely be up for this! (I kinda feel like I’ve been training for it all my life, since I tend to act out any story I read? I guess it’s the theatre girl in me). But yeah, something like this seems like a lot of fun! Would we need permission from the author, though?

1 Like

I don’t think so, since this is purely to entertain ourselves and we aren’t selling tickets to the reading or anything :joy:

However, pretty sure if we asked first they’d be delighted.

1 Like

This sounds awesome! How do I join?

Hey! Sorry, I have been rehearsing/doing play readings with a few of the theatre companies I have performed with over the past dozen years (next weekend I play Miss Scarlet in a reading of CLUE!) so I havent had a chance to set this up yet. I get paid for performing so the script readings are a priority since I am not able to perform on stage at the moment :frowning: . ***But If anyone else wants to run with this idea and set something up, feel free! It sounds like a lot of people are concerned with the timing, so just be aware that you wont be able to please everyone. Xoxoxoxo

3 Likes