Publishing questions

I’m not sure if this is right category to ask this but here I go. So I have some questions about publishing games specifically under the Hosted games.

1. I know the word count includes code but is just the main game chapters or does it also include the startup and stats file?
  2. For the images what programmes do you use to create the images?
  3. For beta testing how long do you wait before making changes (for instance do you wait for a chosen date and to see what people think or do you do it as the ideas come in) I hope that makes sense?
  4. Again for beta testing after making any changes do you have to beta test it again or do I only have to do it once?

I hope these questions make sense and thanks.

2 Likes

let’s see:

1. all code iirc. so stat files, etc
  2. How to make quick and easy chapter headers here’s a thread on chapter headers, but you can use each graphic prog that can save in png etc. jut make sure the dimensions are okay.
  3. Most HG game have their WiP threads here on the forum to get input while th game is built up. With the beta of a finished game I think many people gather a small group of trusted testers in a PM thread or on discord (etc) and change things once the feedback came in.
  4. If it is bigger changes, I’d say yes. this includes overhauling the stats, adding/removing options, or adding/removing scenes.
    I don’t know how it is if you want to add something post-submission/while it’s in queue. @Mary_Duffy any input on that?
3 Likes

I mean, you should submit your game for publication when it’s complete. After you’ve conducted a beta. At some point during your beta you’ll feel you’ve done enough, presumably. But frankly, I am not in any way, shape, or form involved in publishing Hosted Games.

7 Likes

Thanks for the info but a couple of other questions that I’m unsure if they’ve been asked.

1. How do you set up a beta-test? I know I can post the files on dashingdon but where would I put the link or how to do it so I can get testers?
  2. How often would I get paid (I know it’s when someone buys the game) but depending on how often that is would it be daily, weekly, monthly etc?

Thanks for the help

2 Likes

You would create a post in this forum. You’d title it something like “NAME OF GAME - WIP - BETA TEST THREAD.”

Royalties are paid monthly.

3 Likes

Ok great thanks

2 Likes

I have a couple more questions,

1. What are the requirements for the artwork that I need to submit (size, deminsions etc.) as it was posted on the submissions page but it has been changed?
  2. Since the game now has to be email I was wondering what I need to submit (besides the text files with the actual game)?
1 Like

From what I can tell, I assume those questions can be answered once you email them saying that you’d like to submit a HG.

1 Like

If you go into the submission page on the main site it gives you all the info you need. There’s various artwork and a bunch of descriptive stuff + you need to have it all pass the testers.

If you’re talking artwork for the cover and logo dimensions it’s all on the page I just talked about. If it’s for inside the game, make it large enough to not be pixilated on a computer screen, but not so large in size that people are going to complain how much room on their phone the game is taking up. As far as I’m aware the size hasn’t changed (unless it happened after I submitted my last game which is possible as it was sent in last year but I wasn’t asked to resize anything and it was only published a couple of weeks ago- just follow what it says.)

Edit: Oh I see what you mean. I was going to get the link for you as I thought you meant you couldn’t find the info. In that case email them and they can send you a list of requirements they now want I guess.

2 Likes

Hi guys. I have a couple of questions too.

1. I have read the things about taxe treaties with USA… But what about an author who live in a country that does not have taxe treaties with USA?

2. Is i required that the author give his/here real name for the publishing? I wondered maybe there might be authors who want anonimity.

The answer to the second question is that you absolutely can use a pseudonym. Adrao does, for instance.

1 Like

Oh ok. Thanks

As it says on the site, you’ll need to ask COG directly. Send them an email.

At this time, if you live or work in a country without a tax treaty with the United States, we ask that you contact us at hosted-submissions@choiceofgames.com before submitting a Hosted Game . Prospective authors for Choice of Games who are residents of countries without tax treaties with the United States should also let us know that at the beginning of the process. Canada, Mexico, most Western European countries, many Asian countries, and some African and Latin American countries have a tax treaty with the U.S. See full list here: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/international-businesses/united-states-income-tax-treaties-A-to-Z

You can publish under a pen name publically, but as far as I’m aware you must tell COG what your real name is for the paperwork. You can’t sign off as your pen name.

3 Likes