Price Increases

Their adsense account has been banned. You can find more information on that here:

1 Like

I think something people should consider when complaining about prices, is that in life you get what you pay for. If you want better writers to consider putting together a COG story then you’ll need to consider what they get out of it.

COG only really has a devoted audience of about 5000 atm, so at $3 a copy you can only really expect at best around $15000 from each basic release. Of which the vendor (itunes or whatever) gets $4500. Then COG gets $8625 leaving the author with a massive $1875 which of course they then have to pay tax on… That’s assuming that everybody who likes COG actually likes your story. Which is unlikely.

So assuming an author at least wants to make minimum wage, because no one likes starving to death… means you have 258 hours to put together a 300,000 word story, with code, and a story that nobody can find a flaw in. Give that a try, and then come back and complain about the price…

20 Likes

It said it’s because either a) He has other adsense accounts so they could’ve shut down both sites due the other site or b) ‘Helpful’ people clicking loads of ads to give, his holiness :grinning: the creator of COG more money. Either way the ads won’t work.

I’m pretty sure CoG prices their games according to word count. If the prices are going up, it’s because the games they’ve been releasing are longer than they used to be (which is true). It has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

Also, even though I’m a broke college student, I am totally fine with buying maybe one CoG every now and then for three to five dollars. That’s way better than $20 for a book or $60 for a video game. And that’s nothing like EA; for example, the Sims 3 was $70 at launch, and the Sims 4 was $80 at launch. That’s just ridiculous.

So yeah, I think the CoG prices are perfectly reasonable. I bothers me a little that the prices are based on length than quality, but I can’t come up with a way to quantify and price how enjoyable a game is.

1 Like

That sounds depressing as a hopeful author.

@Pyromanci @TechDragon610 Hmm…kinda makes an aspiring Hosted author for CoG to think about publishing a game. Still, it’s actually a reality check and well hopefully not all will be that discourage. I’ll admit I am, but that’s life. :pensive:

all I have to say is… #WREKD

@honeymichie @TechDragon610 I didn’t mean to discourage anyone, but you need to manage your expectations. While it’s unlikely your first story will be paying for your Beverly Hills mansion; it’s also true that the sales of your first story will continue when you release your second, or third. Like any career if you are serious about it then you have to pay your dues and slog through the hard part to make it where you want to be.

3 Likes

If you want to make decent money off your CoG, I’d suggest making it longer. Shorter titles don’t tend to sell nearly as well, and they are priced lower. Even though you didn’t end up spending as much time on it, I do think that making a longer story is a better investment. I speak from personal experience.

1 Like

Pffft.
Back in my day, we didn’t have to pay for “Hosted Games this” or “Our Games that”, all we needed was a laptop and an internet connection, and then we could play Choicescript games to our hearts’ content.
Users these days, I swear.

2 Likes

I know this sounds bad, but would a CoG title under my belt look good on a rèsumè at a gaming studio? Quest designer, story writer, not for a position that involves graphics but still.

I’ve found that personal networking is more useful when it comes to snagging interviews with game developers.
That being said, a well-received and well-written Hosted Game will likely help get your foot in the door should you want to do a title for Choice of Games directly. In that case, you’re guaranteed an advance at the very least, and a respectable up-front payment if you’re willing to forgo royalties.

3 Likes

Is there still a smaller payment for games where I still get royalties? I thought there was.

There is, but the advance is (IIRC) against your royalties, which effectively means you’ll be getting the first $2500 of your royalties before publication, as opposed to after the sale.

For more info, if you haven’t checked it out.

Life has a cost, pay publishers, editors, pay author, pay company bills. Cost rise a lot, if you don’t pay the same for a coffee now that 4 years ago, complaint about the game prices from a small company… Ea could allow maintain price using dirty policies as dlcs first day, or sell exclusive fees to Microsoft. A small company have to receive some profit, if cost rises the price has to follow it.

@Hell_Satan

But I have to agree that gameloft is also really bad…

2 Likes

I’d have said comcast. I want to drop a channel from my pack, but they’ll charge me more. I agree that EA is probably second worst.

I see no problems with paying more. Paying more mean boosting the industry and choice of games. The more cash they have, the more they invest. And dont forget the author either. I’m glad to know I paid 6$ to help pay the author a snack or six pack of gum if he/she/they have a particular taste for squishy stuff.

I personally don’t mind paying for games (especially of good quality) but I hate in app purchases to death.

Don’t ask me why; I don’t know either.

1 Like