Planning issue

Okay no problem! If you need to see how they work inside a chapter just ask

yeah I will have a go at my old files this week, and see if I can get my character creation module done for some feedback. Guess that once I have that done, it all should be okay.

Holy crap @BlazedStorm that is some big difference with the example I saw from Cog coding lol.

as for

*comment I just realised that I write these comments as if someone else will read them!

I just did :stuck_out_tongue:

I knew these comments would come in handy! :stuck_out_tongue:

Dont be worried about the extensiveness of my files, there is so much added in there that is made for my game and wouldn’t be necessary for other games at all. I think the thing you need to grasp the most is how and why the commands are used. Everything revolves around *if , *else and *set commands in the introduction, and the files show how you can do quite allot with them!

If you wish, I can go through what everything does. It is rather simple once you get the hang of it, its just I like to do too much sometimes xD If you understand what each command is used for in context in that introduction file, youve pretty much got it down.

Hi @Trask84, I’m glad you decided to try again!

For gender differences, in Blackraven, I have all the characters either male or female, but my story is the same regardless of their gender.

There are many ways to achieve this. As mine is a switch for ALL characters (all female or all male) I use two variables called he and him. By default, I have set both like this:

*create he "he"
*create him "him"

Then, when the player determines their own gender, if they are female, I change these variables:

*set he "she"
*set him "her"

Then, when I write, first I write from a male perspective (but I tone down masculine adjectives - I don’t describe characters as having a beard, or bald).

Finally, when I am happy with my writing, I port my code into word (or any text editor where you can search and replace words), then I search for the word he and replace it with {he}. I then do the same for him, replacing with {him}.

Now, when I run my game, if the player is male, all the people he talks to are described as he or him. If the player is female, all the characters are described as she or her.

You can then get adventurous:
I have a male/female name for every character (for example, Vincent Rock or Violet Rock).
This is done with a variable for every character’s name.
I have a few more gender dependent variables:
bastard or bitch
lad or lass
man or woman
boy or girl
his or her

First, all the variables I need are created in startup.txt
*create he “he”
*create him “him”
*create vincent “Vincent”
*create bastard “bastard”
*create lad “lad”
*create man “man”
*create boy “boy”
*create his “his”

In the story, I ask the player if they are male or female:

Are you male or female?
*choice
  #Male
    You are a man.
    *goto description_of_man
  #Female
    *set he "he"
    *set him "her"
    *set vincent "Vincent"
    *set bastard "bitch"
    *set lad "lass"
    *set man "woman"
    *set boy "girl"
    *set his "her"
    You are a woman
    *goto description_of_man

Then I write the story.
Initially, I could write like this:

*label description_of_man
As you watch the tall man, you are taken aback by the graceful way he walks, ignorant of the other inmates and contentment in his gait. His name is Vincent Rock, the biggest bastard in Blackraven.

Next, I change the gender variable words through Word:

As you watch the tall {man}, you are taken aback by the graceful way {he} walks, ignorant of the other inmates and contentment in {his} gait. !{his} name is {vincent} Rock, the biggest {bastard} in Blackraven.

Now, when the game is played, if you are male, it will read as initially written. If you are female, it will read:

As you watch the tall woman, you are taken aback by the graceful way she walks, ignorant of the other inmates and contentment in her gait. Her name is Violet Rock, the biggest bitch in Blackraven.

This might sound like a lot of hard work, but once you have set it up right, it’s not too difficult to do. The alternative method is a male variable set to true or false.

*If male = true
  As you watch the tall man, you are taken aback by the graceful way he walks, ignorant of the other inmates and contentment in his gait.  His name is Vincent Rock, the biggest bastard in Blackraven.
*if male = false
  As you watch the tall woman, you are taken aback by the graceful way she walks, ignorant of the other inmates and contentment in her gait.  Her name is Violet Rock, the biggest bitch in Blackraven.

The advantage with this is that you can change the text to anything, and descriptions of a bald, bearded male can be easily changed to a pigtailed female.
The disadvantage is that you need to actually write everything twice.

Both ways add to the time taken to write your story, but that’s the price for making a game accessible to all!

Thank you for the in depth explanation. The reason why I am struggling is for example, one of the Main characters the player will deal with is a romantic option. But to me that makes for 4 different characters. If i write it like this and just change name and basic appearance, I still will not have what I am aiming for, as the Straight and Gay male will have different styles and characters, just as the women will differ. But i will figure something out.

You could start with two variables:
*create male true
*create straight true

Then you could write like this:

*if male = true
  *if straight = true
    Straight male text here.
  *else
    Gay male text here.
*else
  *if straight = true
    Straight female text here.
  *else
    Gay female text here.

Just finish each text part with a *goto.

That is i think the best way to do it :smiley:

In terms of romantic relationships, I think the difference is less between gay and straight than between dominant and submissive (or aggressive and shy, if you prefer). Obviously there are speaking styles that can vary across the LGBT spectrum, but I find if I worry too much about that, I start writing caricature and not living characters.

If your main character is dominant, or aggressive, s/he will go after the romantic target in a different way than if s/he is more shy and tentative. Both are valid choices…really, the guy/gal thing often turns out to be more providing a certain level of comfort for the player (“Great!”, she says, “I finally get to play a girl hero!”) then exact gender accuracy.

Also when creating a game, starting what point does it makes sense to have a wip thread for it?

I’d say that depends on you. If you have your plot in mind already, start writing, then have a WIP tread when you have a good demo ready to show. If you are still trying to formalize ideas in your head, start the WIP early and ask the community for help. You’ll get a lot of suggestions here!

Cool, plot is pretty fixed at this point.

So I am better off waiting to post it till I have several chapters done?

I’d say so. When you post the demo, you will get a lot of feedback from the readers. This always acts (for me) as great motivation to write the next part.

K was planning to open it after i finished the intro and character creation, but will wait till i have a couple of more chapters then.