Coding Help Again?

Hey guys, sorry for asking so many times, but I just have to ask to see if I can get an easier way >.>

It’s kind of a simple thing though. For example, there are several scenes where a person would refer to my character as a she or a he. I’ve heard that there was an easier way in which I could just use variable, kind of like setting a ${char_him} or something like that, that changes with the gender. But… I’m not sure if I’m doing it right or something.

Er… Help please?

If there’s no way though, I guess I can go back to my usual way, although it’s really tedious so far… ._.

Thank you!

Yah just create variables like I would do

he: "he"
his: "his"
him: "hi"

If it’s a girl just do

he: "she"
his: "her"
him: "her"

and when your writing put it in the appropriate places like

{he} enters the store, to get {his} candy.

… Uh… Okay, well, to get my head around because this doesn’t seem… ‘Right’, and I just want to make sure.

For the ‘he’ from he: “he”, what do we write exactly? And where do we put it?

If you have the updated CS you can just write variables in the startup at the very top of the document like

*create gender “unknown”
*create he: “unknown”
*create his: “unknown”
*create him: “unknown”

and when you start writing your story when you give them a gender choice like

Boy, or Girl?
*fake_choice
  #Boy
     *set gender "male"
     *set he "he"
     *set his "his"
     *set him "him"
  #Girl
    *set gender "female"
    *set he "she"
    *set his "her"
    *set him "her"

You are a ${gender}.

I suck at explanations but hopefully that’s good

@Random

First you ask the player to choose their gender. Then you set all of the appropriate pronouns depending on which choice is made.

So you do

What gender do you identify as?
*choice
   #Male
      *set gender "male"
   #Female
      *set gender "female"

*if gender="male"
   *set he "he"
   *set his "his"
   *set him "him"
   *set man "man"

*if gender="female"
   *set he "she"
   *set his "her"
   *set him "her"
   *set man "woman"

Or you can put those ifs under the set gender instead if you’d rather.

What gender do you identify as?
*choice
   #Male
      *set gender "male"
      *set he "he"
      *set his "his"
      *set him "him"
      *set man "man"
   #Female
      *set gender "female"
      *set he "she"
      *set his "her"
      *set him "her"
      *set man "woman"

Then you can use {he} {his} ${man} etc and it will use he/his/man in the text if you’ve set to male, and she/her/woman for female.

So you do

It was easy to see that from ${his} figure, and the way that ${he} carried ${him}self that ${he} was a ${man}.

And then you get

It was easy to see that from his figure, and the way that he carried himself that he was a man.

It was easy to see that from her figure, and the way that she carried herself that she was a woman.

Oops double post. And wow it took a lot of time to post. I’m sorry for repeating you 2Ton. You’re explaining well. Your answer wasn’t there when I typed things up though. Forums are laggy for me today.

@FairyGodfeather Our brains have linked again!

@2Ton They are! I didn’t mean to repeat you either. I was typing, hit send and saw that you’d already answered.

I figured that we think alike so it would probably be nearly the same thing but it doesnt help to have 2 people explain something

Thank you, you two~ Wow, it’s so easy, I didn’t think of that!

P.S. Great minds think alike! xD

Those variables will all work very well, but personally, I like to name them things like “heshe” and “hisher” in order to better keep track of them. Also, you’re going to probably be needing two different forms of “his,” which is part of why I put both pronouns. That is because “his” can be paired with either “her” or “hers.”

Ex: That book is HIS. That book is HERS.
That is HIS sword. That is HER sword.

You probably already realized this, but it can’t hurt to mention it!

Fair point, but I’d guess that most authors could get by just fine without “his/hers.” Most sentences where you’d use that pronoun form can be easily and unnoticeably tweaked so you don’t have to use it. “That book? It’s {hishers}." will usually read just as smoothly if it's rephrased as "That one? It's {hisher} book.”

Indeed, you might find that a rephrase is never necessary. In my own work-in-progress, I’ve got ${hers} as a variable, with the value set to “his” if you’re male. I think I might have used it once, and the draft’s already as long as many CoGs.

Yes, I agree that a lot of the time it is very easy to just change up the wording a bit since those pronouns are the same except for the part of the sentence in which they appear. I find it easier though to just write it as I normally would and insert a different variable so that once I begin a sentence I don’t have to go back and change it when I realize that I don’t have the correct pronoun. I am not saying it’s completely necessary, but I prefer to have the other option there since the effort of putting it there is minimal.

For my game I use the following:

*choice
#“I think I am Male…that sounds right.”
It does seem to be getting darker, yes the last remnants of whom you were finally slipping away, and perhaps you’ll find peace at last.
*set sp1_greeting “son”
*set nick “sport”
*set nick2 “buddy”
*set nick3 “sweetheart”
*set sp1_reply “my little man.”
*set gender “male”
*set sp1_call “him”
*set sp1_c_gender “he”
*set anger_call “Mister”
*line_break
*line_break
*goto sp1_1
#“No, no I am Female, ya let’s go with that.”
It does seem to be getting darker, yes the last remnants of whom you were finally slipping away, and perhaps you’ll find peace at last.
*set sp1_greeting “daughter”
*set sp1_reply “my little one.”
*set gender “female”
*set nick “sweety”
*set nick2 “honey”
*set nick3 “sweetheart”
*set sp1_call “her”
*set sp1_c_gender “she”
*set anger_call “Missy”
*line_break
*line_break
*goto sp1_1