(Planning help) wanted Heretics spell (mech/science religion war against magic users "the heretics")

@dannyjohnr it was from church soldiers stats but monks could use the power of god in almost all rpg systems. Similar to the kunfu wixia monks with chi . Its same mechanics. Im more a story driven player to but this story could be great.

@Ausar be free to adapt change of delete them. I only though the fact the add follow your god in a monk or a church soldier is most normal. During Crusades soldiers did penitence many times public to return the god strength from the incoming battles.

Than @FairyGodfeather

@Havenstone do you mond if I ask for some tips on how to successfuly pull off the re-live you life game mechanic?
@MaraJade i think i will adapt your stats and re post soon

The best tip is to go play Havenstone’s game. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s not exactly like you’re doing mind you, it’s just the first game that came to mind that uses the mechanic of telling your story from a future point in time.

Actually that said if you have a good story whether you can die or not shouldn’t matter. Most of the games I play don’t have you dying. Make sure there’s the option to fail, that there’s multiple methods of getting to that end point and multiple motivations for doing so.

@Ausar Can you do a bit more explaining on the religion side of things? They don’t seem to have a god or a subject of worship of any kind, and if that’s the case, they cannot be a religion. Unless, of course, you are saying that they worship the technology they use, which- this is just my opinion, mind you- is absolutely stupid. Please tell me that I’m wrong, and they do not worship the technology that they make with their own hands and that they do have a god for their religion.

To me, with this current setup you have, it seems that it would be better to make the wizards the people who DO have a religion; you could even say that their deity is the source of their elemental powers. That way, you could have the techies be the side that relies strictly on their own abilities and chooses not to believe in a religion. That, of course, leads to the problem of “if-the-wizards-obviously-get-their-powers-from-a-god-why-are-the-techies-too-stupid-to-realize-that-god-is-real?”

You could, of course, say that each side has a different god that they worship, one who encourages innovation and technology as part of their religion, and one who wants the people to stick with the old ways and develop their magic to better society and preserve the natural world. That way, neither side has a god on their side with the others too stupid to realize it is there.

Another option I could think of would be to say that the wizards do not like the teachings of the god who encourages technology because they think that the wizards should be the natural rulers of the land since they are able to harness magical energies and they do not like that a normal person can become powerful simply by utilizing a few machines.

Or, the god could have no connection at all to technology, and you could say that the god in some way pissed off the wizards in the past, and they have all vowed to never follow that god again and bring down the order that serves him. Or, scrap that very last part, and say that the church continues to hate the wizards because that’s what their god tells them, but the wizards don’t have any particular hatred outside of never again worshiping that god.

The only option that I would completely encourage you NOT to take would be to have no actual god. I think for this plot to work, there HAS to be some kind of a god.

Sorry for the long rant! I just wanted to get my opinion in here since you asked for different opinions!

@Galador i agree with some gods at least two are needed. But i believe god existence with churches use are implicit.

@Galador sorry if I didnt clarify the chrurch views logic as the key to all understanding the idea of logic and embracing the things logic grants e.g. Technology whereascthey view the mages as rejecting logic as they do not “worship and god or idea” but view their life as part of the great energy flow of th world and they think this is what they draw thier magics abilityes from as only some people have the ability to access the energy and manipulate it . This idea is the opposite and pretty much makes the use of logic as the answeres to everything. The mages (people who can manipulate the energy in the world) are a minority so they are persecuted for their view and ideas as heresy as the idea of manipulating energy of the world with no explanation of how or why and just that such an gy exists is pretty much the opposite view of the logic curch and thw mages idea and their lack of need for a logical explanation makes them heretics to the curch and that is why they persecute and war agianst the mages who are perfectly happy to exist peacfully apart from the curch and preists.

Hope this gives everyone a better understanding of basis of my idea

The ideas are opposite but only the curch is militant about it as most are I think the crusades are a good example as the crusaders aim was to kill and destroy rather than convert
This is the mindset of the curch in my game

Now I will not use this image in my game but something close to it as the symbol of the curch

http://images.colourbox.com/thumb_COLOURBOX2438921.jpg

I was thinking of moving the positions pf the cogs slightly and putting it on a blue background so all the white in the image exept thcogs which remain white will be blue

Good idea for a symbol in regards to what the church represents ?
@MaraJade
@Galador
@FairyGodFeather
@dannyjohnr
If you guys could give feedback it would be good
And @Galador thankyou for the input as i realised I must clarify the idea better in my description

The curch does not worship a god as such rather the idea and concept that logic is the key to answering all problems

Maybe they worship technology ala brotherhood of steel :wink:

@Muklin brotherhood of steel???

From the fallout universe. There moe a militaristic organisation but also have have scribes and elders etc. They collect technology and guard it zealously. Some modification and you mite have the backbones for your own technologically/logically ran religion :slight_smile:

They also use ranks as squires, knights, paladins ect

It’s only a thought mind, just thought it may be a lil helpful :slight_smile:

@Muklin thanks ill keepcit in mind

couldn’t be a church without god, couldn’t be a religion without god. Its like i believe mathematical don’t need numbers know. They aren’t a church they are a bunch of freemasons adoring logos. No wait, freemasons believe in the existance of the architect of the universe aka god.

if they believe in a force transcendent who create and control universe this flow is a god, period. Pitagoras created a religion sect than worship numbers and logic as a god, and the way to worship is through mathematics, and some weird rites than make beans sacred. No kidding.
They believe mathematical numbers and geometric structures are the bones of elverything even the light. Basically, they believe some sort of atoms god . The rest are heretics who can’t see the truth that rule the universe. So they believe mathematical had to be treated in secret, like magic to avoid stupid people angry the universe.

But being sincere for me without any god or something this game story hasn’t got any sense from a storyline perspective,. Using terms like church, heretics with out one religion, is confusing. But we will see in the demo , you has to explain a religious war without religion so i wish you luck.

@Ausar, I like very much your idea of a logic/tech culture which is also dogmatically religious and persecutes the things it can’t explain.

It would be much easier to write a story about hoopy doopy religious magicians vs faithless, tough-minded scientists… because that’s much more like the story Europe’s been telling itself for a couple hundred years (in history books, plus LOTS of fantasy and science fiction). Your version, if you can pull it off, will be more original.

Anyone else following the current story arc at the wonderful webcomic Dresden Codak, “Dark Science”? Our cyborg scientist heroine is stuck in a city that thinks it glorifies science and technology, but has in fact turned into a (hilarious) authoritarian intellectual dystopia. It suggests that when it becomes a majority creed, anything – including “science” – is only a few twists away from becoming an oppressive religion.

@MaraJade: “couldn’t be a religion without god” – I offer for your consideration the Theravada Buddhism which is the majority religion of Sri Lanka and Burma.

Anyway, @Ausar, I’m not trying the same backward-looking style you are… in my game, it’s only the first chapter. So you know you can’t die in the prologue and the first half of chapter one. After that, all bets are off.

If dying is off the table for almost all of your game… well, just don’t write any plotlines that are only exciting if you might die. Have other things at stake. Will your lover or child or dog die? Will you be hailed as a hero or reviled as a monster?

As you keep flashing back to the present, make sure the present changes significantly based on the things you’ve revealed in the flashbacks. And maybe you can reintroduce the threat of death at the end of the game, once all the flashbacks are done.

@Havenstone i was talking about religion that buds is a peacefully life philosophy except you consider stoics , epicureal people are some religion. They don’t have many of characteristics of a religion. Are far better than religion. Here are a bunch of power hungry dogmatic politician using a jumbo jumbo science like a religion. They have to use a puppet like god a like like Communism and fascism did. For me that’s religion. People who adored Mao Stalin Big brother are being manipulated by a stately controlled cult, religion.

@Marajade, In my opinion, Buddhism is a religion and this statement is supported by Wikipedia, “Buddhism is a religion indigenous to the Indian subcontinent…”

@Blueowl358 Tibetan budism and Chnese believe in in gods its only small sets of budism where there are no gods. If they haven’t no a superior creature to believe and no afterlife there is no religion. Tibetan and Chinese budism believe in after life even in some set of type of hell one soul could expend type between lives. The one Havenstone talk have no afterlife. no god its more a life filisofy than something else. WIKIPEDIA IT’S NOT A VALID FONT OF INFO . There are famous to kill people and put think like Elvis life