Personality Variables vs Personality Variable (in the singular) [Poll]

Don’t mind me, I’m just using this thread to put down some notes for personal use.

Personality Implementations I enjoyed;

Occasionally uses a Hybrid personality system (Humor+Morbidity: Dark humor, Confidence + Morbidity: Direct creepiness etc), something that’d be interesting if expanded on.

Three unopposed variables: Confidece, Humor, Morbidity
Two opposed variables: Resentful/Accepting, Ethical/Expedient
One hidden variable: Depressed

Uses flat numbers to increase stats throughout via reaction choices, stat checks to flavour text (not much, just sentences and quips)/ determine other people’s perception of MC. Stat check flavour text isn’t heavy, but coupled with flavour choices, it still feels like it shows MC personality. I think this is the most common type of personality implement on this site.

This is the first game I played that had text so heavily flavoured by customisable MC personality. I was awed.

Five sets of opposed variables: Impulsive/Calculated, Perverted/Chivalrous, Charming/Stoic, Drifter/Protective, Brutal/Finesse

Personality locks after the first few chapters, and after that going along with that rewards you with attunement. Whole paragraphs differ with personality stat checks, which I found immensly enjoyable. Personality implementation wise, I’ll pick this series as my favourite.

Another similar implementation is Freak Against the Neon Lights.

FH doesn’t have personality variables. MC personality is largely predetermined, but considering the trauma and predetermined course of action (and utility for the MC Puppet), this makes sense. Due to the premise of the plot being less open and more set/limited, the predetermined personality feels natural and neutral. Additional flavouring can be done through the few flavoured choices.

///

Tl;dr;
Limited Premise allows for limited personality without making it feel too limiting.

Personally, I prefer whole paragraphs of personality trait tailored flavour text, more than a single sentence.

The whole game shouldn’t be flavoured with a single type of personality; If there are multiple personality variables, use all of them. Which is why I prefer opposed stats than separate stats. Stat checks for separate stats tend to go for the single highest stat. It makes the character flat.

Generally, people should be able to choose whatever choice without feeling like they’re breaking character. You can accomplish this by putting stat checks after the choice to give different flavour text when appropriate ( Ex: A usually stoic and reserved MC may act slightly awkward or aloof when choosing a geniune choice, but not as a stat fail. Other characters may also act appropriately surprised when you “show another side of yourself” that way). Situations should also be taken into consideration.

2 Likes