New Hosted Game! "The War for the West" by Lucas Zaper

I just did it by spamming archers and man at arms. Combined with all my troops and the mercenaries I had over 6000 troops witch is over two thousand of what he had. The only one who died is that old knight that wanted to court his crush.

1 Like

The author said at one point that they might give us a chance to save important characters later on when many of us complaint that, if they are going to die anyway why should we bother with recruiting them.

I cannot bet on anyone in tournament nor can I buy weapons from the smith, even though I have money, is this an oversight or am I doing something wrong?

Can a female MC and up maried the king and give him an heir before he and up die at the end of the game?

No you canā€™t marry the king

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s a good idea for future HG jobs. The topic of incest may be a delicate one for some, but as long as it is well constructed narratively and agrees with the logic of the text, we can expect interesting results with ROs. Needless to say, the clearest example of this is the Game of Thrones saga.

1 Like

Hello everyone, who can you romance? oh and can I kill this thing in the cave when I go hunting for something wicked after the fallen star?

Soā€¦at the summitā€¦i completely ignored my spy master.
Soā€¦ even though it was stated that i am the only one get out of there, nothing is said about her. Not even if she is alive or dead. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Yes. Equip the sword made from the falling star when you hunt something wicked.

How to buy from the smithy or bet on the tournament?

I had a really good time with itā€¦
Up until I got killed by the boy that was left by the creepy cultist guys, completely out of left-field (do I not have guards?!) Then saw only a ā€œPlay Againā€ screen.

It was an amazing game, but that just felt insulting and left me very bitter.
Especially seeing as how, even with hindsight, I donā€™t see anything wrong with the choices I made up until that point (interrogate the cultist, bring in the boy to hear his side, decide against murdering the kid off of the demands of a man who is clearly evil. Kid immediately kills me.)

Started up hoping to Load a save when I reached the town screen, but found all that precious progress was deleted. Then decided, no, I donā€™t think I want to play again.

Iā€™m sorry if thatā€™s harsh, I really donā€™t like leaving bad reviews on choice games, especially one with this much effort.
And really, the entire game was amazing and I loved every page of it. But not enough to overlook something so glaring as an out-of-nowhere instant death, equivalent to ā€œrocks fall and everyone dies,ā€ and be expected to restart all the way from the beginning.

1 Like

I think you ignored the cultistā€™s warning. He warned you that if you donā€™t kill the kid, the kid will kill you. You died because your fighting skill is potato.

7 Likes

He vaguely warned ā€œooo, if you donā€™t do what we say, youā€™ll die!ā€
Which is what every villain says. Usually, when a villain makes this kind of ultimatum, it means the protagonist is in for a fight.
Not an instant death based off a single skill-check.

Yesā€¦but what about guards?!

Mechanically, itā€™s a bad idea to have life-and-death be based on a single skill check, and not decisions.
Realisticallyā€¦I have guards. Keeping me from dying is their job.

2 Likes

If you are moderate at fighting, the guards will be able to help you. But since you are dead from the single attack the guards canā€™t do anything.

Ohhā€¦and btwā€¦if you discovered the identity of the cultist, you wonā€™t be taking to him alone or agree to bring the kid. But if you knew the identity and yet agreed to call the kid, then you deserved that death.
Also, you can dream about that death.

1 Like

So guards need their charge to do most of the work before they can do anything.
Sounds like cruddy guards.
And again, life and death should not be decided by a single stat check.

I wasnā€™t alone. He was pretty much on trial. There were guards right there.

Why, exactly? Because I wanted the full story? Because I wanted to make an informed decision, like a responsible ruler?
Or because I decided to not do what the crazed, obviously evil cultist told me to do? Was killing the kid the objectively correct decision, because he told me to? Because when evil cultists tell you to do something ā€œor else,ā€ then your hands are pretty much tied?

Look, you donā€™t need to defend the game so vehemently. If thereā€™s a good reason for the game design decisions, the author can defend it themselves. If there isnā€™t a good reason, then they can learn from it.
I was leaving my review based off my experiences. If I want to read any rebuttal at all, Iā€™d rather see it from the person who actually wrote it.

4 Likes

The only thing Iā€™ll personally criticise is the save system. As for that seen it self, I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong about it. The boy is about 10 years old and it would appear that the boy is also unarmed. There were probably guards nearby, but not so close to do something about it immediately. Furthermore, who wouldā€™ve guessed that a knife would suddenly appear in the boyā€™s hands? Given that strange turn of events, the protagonist Will need to hold the boy off until guards Gets close enough. I guess we just have to face the hard truth that some people like certain stuff, while others donā€™t.

2 Likes

Come to think of it, there is another scene in the game thatā€™s exactly like this one. Itā€™s the bastard brother scene.

1 Like

If I recall correctly to the one time I decided to bring the kid there there were some moments where the guards could have noticed that something isnā€™t right with the kid and maybe they should have become more protective over their charge so I think you have a point there. But in a way @Kalpana also has a point: it would have been smarter to not heed an evil and crazy persons words rather just execute him especially when we canā€™t get much sensible information out of him, his and his companions deeds should have been enough reason to do that.

Now in that scene I think the guards might have been ordered to keep their distance bc MC didnā€™t want too many people to hear the bastard brothers story and by the time things escalated or did begin to get suspicius (with the ā€œbrotherā€ moving closer to MC) it might have been too late to reach MC in time. Just a theory.

1 Like

Can you give me more details about what happened there? For example, did you take her with you or was she already there? Was it your first or second time at the Summit? Did you have to fight your way through?

I checked the code and there doesnā€™t seem to be anything wrong with it. Those options are, though, some of the few which can only be selected if you actually have money on your treasury.

Usually I let people go into debt when purchasing stuff so as not to lock them from certain choices during random events, but you stated that you had money on your treasury, right? Iā€™m not sure what might be happening. Did anyone else have that problem? Perhaps the easiest way to solve this would be to just remove the money conditional from those choices.

Iā€™m sorry you experienced this. Iā€™ll try to explain why that happened, and why it shouldnā€™t happen.

During most of the gameā€™s development and testing phases I used a custom savesystem which allowed players to save and load their games at any point. When I learned that that system couldnā€™t be carried over to the final version of the game, I had to find a new one. The people from CoG helped me out, and I ended up managing to implement a single-slot savesystem.

But it wasnā€™t tested as much as it needed to be, and I didnā€™t predict that certain deaths were coded differently than the usual(normally the players are taken to the ā€œYou diedā€ screen, and from there they can load the game, but there are some exemptions spread through the game).

Iā€™ve been fixing those when I find them(and when people report), and the one you experienced will be fixed with the next update. I donā€™t want people to have to restart the game from scratch because they died.

10 Likes

Okā€¦so since I know (not the MC) she will betray MC, i decided to take control of MC and ignore her throughout the summit like the MC doesnā€™t care about her.I went with my guardian who died at the summit. It was my first time at the summit. Then there was 3vs1 fight. I decided to defend and go for the wall, since itā€™s easier. I didnā€™t ask any questions. Started the fight. Didnā€™t attack her. Killed her two friends. She surrendered and started to act like it was all according to her plan. I ignored her blabbering and started to leave. She wanted me to kill her. I ignored her again and leave the summit. So basically I didnā€™t talk with her.