New Hosted Game! "The Floating City" By Felicity Banks

Hosted Games has a new game for you to play!

Choose your career in a post-Climate Change future. Will you follow in your parents’ footsteps and run the city’s shark farm, or will you break the mold?

It’s 30% off until August 13th!

The Floating City is a 130,000 word climate fiction novel by Felicity Banks, where your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and powered by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

You can explore the drowned city of Old Sydney, the secrets of the underground New Sydney, and travel around your own floating city. The pressure is on to hone your skills and choose your future job, but there is hidden danger far below the surface of the sea. Your friend Kassandra is risking her own life to figure out why the sharks are afraid, and you are the only person she listens to. Will you risk her life to try to save others, or will you beg her to give up her dreams?

• Play as male, female, or non-binary; gay, straight, or asexual and/or aromantic.
  • Develop a romance with a male or female friend, or neither.
  • Trade with other cities, and make useful connections.
  • Build your reputation in order to enhance your career prospects.
  • Learn more about how sharks behave, and solve the mystery of their unusual behavior.
  • Awaken an ancient cosmic horror.
Felicity Banks developed this game using ChoiceScript, a simple programming language for writing multiple-choice interactive novels like these. Writing games with ChoiceScript is easy and fun, even for authors with no programming experience. Write your own game and Hosted Games will publish it for you, giving you a share of the revenue your game produces.
28 Likes

Awesome news @Felicity_Banks. congrats :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ahhh! This just made my weekend :heart: Congrats, can’t wait to play!

2 Likes

Ooh! Your reply just told me that it’s finally out!!! I started thinking about this story more than 5 years ago so it’s been a long, long road.

12 Likes

I have been waiting for this one for a long while! Congratulations @Felicity_Banks! I am so excited for you and me both, haha.

2 Likes

Yay, about time too! At least I’ve got something to look forward this weekend :grin:

Congrats @Felicity_Banks for the release!

3 Likes

Congrats @Felicity_Banks! :partying_face: I still remember how interesting the setting was, and the way that the cities themselves had character. It was a lot of fun, especially the exciting endgame and seeing the results of choosing certain paths and characters over others.

2 Likes

Congrats @Felicity_Banks! Looking forward to reading it :smile:

2 Likes

Hey there I adore the game but I seem to have some problems figuring out what raises wich skills. Its kind of unclear what some response give and I seem to be really stuck looking for ways to raise connection. Did anyone notice what answer types raises it?

1 Like

Connections is a secondary stat, so it doesn’t come into play too close to the start. You tend to earn it by succeeding at difficult challenges (usually you gain reputation or connections from challenges).

2 Likes

Awesome thanks for the quick reply!

1 Like

Congratulations @Felicity_Banks
Nice that it’s finally released…

1 Like

“Awaken an ancient Cosmic horror”

Just when you think a sunken planet filled with sharks couldn’t get any more dangerous.
Now I gotta keep my eyes peeled for the Kraken and possibly Kthulu

4 Likes

Writing this book, I wanted to challenge myself to write about disabled characters, in part because I saw how disabled people were getting shafted in the real world in various ways. That research led directly to the realisation that my daughter has ADD, and that my own chronic illness is a disability. It changed our lives quite dramatically, and I’m now part of a national initiative designed to help refugees settle into Australia—specifically including those who are disabled or have chronic health problems.

(You can find out more about the Community Refugee Sponsorship Initiative here, and you are VERY welcome to PM me if you’d like to find out more or to make a donation*… I’m currently working on raising over $50,000 in order to cover all the living expenses of a refugee family for their first year in Australia. My own sponsorship group is based in Canberra so that’s where “our” refugee family will live.)

*I’m not associated or affiliated with Choice of Games in any way. This is 100% my own thing.

9 Likes

Just had a quick question about how to pass a stat check early on in the game, the first time you go to trade with your dad, what are the stats required to make any of the checks? bargaining was my highest at 47, but I still wasn’t able to “drive a hard bargain.”

Also I’m getting a bug around the “Alive” Event I let me dad hear about the bomb threat meeting, then when I went to the farm I convinced him to evacuate and take it seriously, but after that I chose to no evacuate just yet, because there “must be something else I could do.” then when the whole thing was over, dad called me into the office to ask me why I didn’t tell him, when I clearly had, multiple times.

I also keep getting a bug where I got the implant, but at several points, like when transporting the sharks and they freak out, as well as a few other scenes, the game acts like I did NOT get the implant.