New Hosted Game! "Moonrise" by Natalie Cannon

@AlexLW So this is…fully a year after you asked, but yes, the suggested names are allusions to various supernatural media! The names and surnames are matched pairs, so listing them together might help ring some bells.

• Lucy Westenra - Dracula by Bram Stoker. Though Dracula doesn’t have werewolves specifically, this iconic work moved vampires from these creepy lil dudes of folklore to the beautiful, aristocratic predators of novels. I can’t overstate the influence Dracula had on culture in general, and Moonrise in particular.
  • Maleva Ouspenskaya - The Wolf Man movie (1941). “Maleva” is the name of the Romani woman whose knowledge saved the cast from becoming werewolf chewtoys, haha. She’s played by Maria Ouspenskaya, a famous Russian actress known for her dedication to her craft, strong personality, and love for astrology.
  • Alex Price - An American Werewolf in London movie (1981). Alex Price is a nurse who treats and falls in love with David, the American werewolf. She spends a lot of the movie chasing after him, in a physical and emotional sense. David dies at the end of the film, so the narrator expresses hope that the player will not do that.
  • Heather Leelan - She’s the main character of my short story, “Howl.” Published in Warrior, “Howl” is like a proto-Moonrise, or Moonrise is a “Howl” who ran faster and longer. Warrior’s still available on Amazon if you want to take a look. “Heather” is of course a real name with a long history. “Leelan” is a word I made up during a game of Scrabble.
  • Larry Talbot - the titular character of The Wolf Man movie (1941). For American audiences, this Universal Studio monster movie is one of the most popular, cherished versions of the modern werewolf–if not the tone-setting media for the modern werewolf mythos.

It’s hard for me to tell how obvious it is to readers, but I looooooove alluding to other stories in my work. I think allusions bring my work directly into conversation with others’, weave my words into the greater tapestry of stories, and add texture to the characters and their world. The downside is sometimes I go overboard and my writing becomes incomprehensible to people who haven’t read a very specific list of stuff. No bueno. Hopefully I hit more of a middle ground with Moonrise.

A bit random, but since I’m reviving this thread anyway. Moonrise got another game review! I have a newsletter! I’m writing Chapter 6 of a new game! Happy New Year, everybody! :partying_face:

6 Likes