New game! Grand Academy II: Attack of the Sequel -- Seize destiny at our evil preparatory school!

We’re proud to announce that Grand Academy II: Attack of the Sequel, the latest in our popular “Choice of Games” line of multiple-choice interactive-fiction games, is now available for Steam, Android, and on iOS in the Choice of Games Omnibus app. It’s 40% off until November 14th!

Congratulations! We are delighted to welcome you back to the Grand Academy for Future Villains, the world's finest evil preparatory school. It's sophomore year, and everyone's back for a deliciously meta sequel.

Grand Academy II: Attack of the Sequel is a hilarious 215,000-word interactive novel and sequel to Grand Academy for Future Villains, by Katherine Nehring, where your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based, without graphics or sound effects, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

In the space between worlds, between stories, beyond time and space itself, the Grand Academy for Future Villains trains the bad guys that every epic saga needs. Behold our dormitories, each befitting their narrative genre: horror, fantasy, sci-fi, or thriller.

This year holds terrifying new challenges: a roommate, a pet, and the ominous Board of Visitors and Overlords, who have come to review the Academy's accreditation. Under the Board's steely gaze, you may be eligible to receive a destiny, which every true villain craves. They have also set each genre against one another in the house tournament. Will you lead your house to victory, betray your comrades, or perhaps both?

And of course your "friends" are back, too. Aurion, Kinistra, Phil. Why, even your maleficent mother, Maedryn the Terror of Three Worlds, is here. Or shall I call her…Professor Maedryn?

• Play as male, female, or nonbinary (or unhuman), gay, straight, bi, or ace.

• Play the game as a standalone, or import a saved character from Grand Academy for Future Villains.

• As Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, and Thriller battle each other, use your genre-savvy to lead your genre to victory–or to seize a destiny for yourself. • Raise an illicit monstrous pet in your dorm room!

• Support your mother's plans for school domination–or break free and steal her clone army.

• As a TA, help your favorite professor get tenure–or sabotage their chances, and as the RA of Sci-Fi, Horror, Thriller, or Fantasy, figure out what's best for your evil little charges.

• Discover the Academy's fatal weakness!

• Acquire the metafictional tools you'll need to win the game of genre against genre! What can you do with a plot-hole digger or a flashback gun?

• Defeat your nemesis! Or save them! Or smooch them!

And when things look bleak just remember: it's a trap! But you should know. You set it.

25 Likes

Price on iOS App Store says $4.99, is this with the 40%?

No, it should be $2.99. I just fixed it. It may take a moment for the button inside the app to change to reflect that.

2 Likes

I went back and played the first game but it’s not allowing me to use my save

Email support.

I was having a bit of a hard time in my life, I just want to say thanks for the uplift these books brought me tonight, well done, and cheers.

5 Likes

is this the last game or is there going to be more grand academy??:thinking:

1 Like

Can we romance the hero princess in this game? Does she appears? Because i think I’m halfway the game but I heard nothing of her

She doesn’t actually appear in this game, although her absence is acknowledged and you can find out what happened to her.

1 Like

In the previous game I blew up the school (absolute chaos) and…

became a teacher on the new hero school, I was able to load in that save. But I must say the way the new storyline get shoehorned irks me a lot. I understand continuing my specific save would not be possible but way my previous storyline was written off feels insulting. The whole “Hah sike! Another timeline needs you and you are being teleported there now!” is just lazy writing. I hope the game gets better as I move further into the story but I had to get this of my chest.

Edit: wrestling with the spoiler-tag

7 Likes

This was an addition to the game that was made after the high levels of complaints that you couldn’t load every save into Psy High 2.

So yeah, you’re right, it isn’t satisfying and it isn’t meant to be. It’s meant to allow you to keep your character going. The author was not going to write a Rebel’s-length sequel which was essentially two entirely different games, one where the school was destroyed and one where it wasn’t.

I appreciate better now that:

1. If you have a game and people want a sequel, what they really want is two or three sequels, such that a 200,000 word game leads to a 700,000 word sequel.

2. We are apparently doing them wrong whether we allow for all saves to be loaded or only some.

3. When I try to do all the school destroyed folks a favor by getting the author to include this, I can count on the forum here to call us lazy.

12 Likes

I’ve done a few playthrough and have yet to find out what happened. Any pointers on which decisions to make?

When you are in the mailroom you should see her. Make decisions that will lead you there..

3 Likes

I’ve played this game a few times now, and I feel ready to review it. Minor spoilers.

Story

The story overall has a significantly tighter focus, an improvement from the previous game. The various stakes are established pretty early on, giving the MC a slew of motivations to drive their actions forward. Between the tenure position, the hope for a destiny, the house tournament, and the stuff going on with the roommate, there’s a lot of plot threads to chase down. I especially love the house tournament because of the way it further incorporates the houses in the story, whereas the previous game the house felt like an afterthought.
I do have a couple of complaints. I miss the time the MC would spend in class getting to know their professors and subject, as there’s a lot less of that this time around. Additionally I got to the ending in completely different ways, yet I still received pretty much the same exact ending. I do acknowledge that I haven’t really played enough to see many variations yet, so that might be more an issue on my part.

Characters

As a rule of thumb, I don’t like to romance characters in my first playthroughs unless romance is a main theme of the game. That being said, I’m impressed with most the characters in this game. I’m glad that Aurion has seemed to have come into his own, and the other house leaders are great as well. Val is also a good character, though I have yet follow their plot to completion. The Overlords are all impressive, and it’s easy to see why the Head is afraid of them. Unfortunately, I found the school faculty to be somewhat lacking. Besides Maedryn, I never felt much of a connection with any of them in the same way I did with Cerebrist and Mortwain. I also was disappointed with how limited a role Xi and Kinistra play in the story, especially in comparison to the other returning students.

Gameplay/Stats

There’s not much to say here. Everything does what it’s meant to do, and that’s good.

Final Thoughts

I must say, I think Katherine has done a great job of improving on the world she created. All of my complaints are pretty minor and are far outweighed by how good of an experience I found this to be. It took me a few playthroughs of GAfFV to warm up to it, but I was hooked almost immediately with GA2. If I had to rate this game on a scale of no to yes, it would absolutely be a yes, with honors.

2 Likes

That’s really lovely to hear. Thank you.

A bug doesn’t allow me to proceed

Aurion is my only nemesis, Fantasy is my genre. It crushes after the 2 trial of houses tournament

send an error report to support@choiceofgames.com

@Rinnegato FWIW The author thinks this bug has already been addressed in the latest update.

1 Like

I think it shows that if you consider it at all likely you will directly continue a story with another installment, you need to avoid endings that would cause too massive of a deviation until the final installment. Like you said, it would give the second game a ton of bloat to spin off these endings into what would be a wholly unique path many readers would never see. But at the same time it’s a legitimate complaint when people feel like they earned a certain conclusion for their character and then they are railroaded onto a completely different path.
It seems like the most prolific and vociferous complaints involving a CSG come when the C is largely removed from the equation in one way or another.

I realize that didn’t help in this case; whether or not those endings should have been included in the first game, they were, and y’all had to move forward and make the best of it. But it’s definitely a good thing for other writers to keep in mind.

15 Likes

Does anyone know if becoming a monster in the previous game carries over?