New Discourse Feature

I might have found a way to make it easier for Discourse to do the right thing here.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/html-b-across-paragraph-breaks-differs-between-preview-and-result/66458/5?u=dfabulich

2 Likes

So, here’s another weird “quote” behavior. Apparently when I select a batch of text to quote, it does *weird things* with line breaks. (I am specifically referring to what happens when I press the quote button after highlighting text across multiple paragraphs.)

Let’s say somebody posted this post.

This post with double line breaks.

If I quote it, I would get this:

Now, let’s say somebody posted this post.
This post only has a single line break.

If I were to quote that, I’d get this instead:

See… for some reason it’s switching the two.

I’ve also noticed another nice feature which I believe to be new, however, which is that sequences of three periods are auto-converted to an ellipsis character, sequences of two hyphens become an en dash, and sequences of three hyphens become an em dash. … – —

Edit: Actually, there is a weird behavior with the ellipses as well. Sequences of more than three periods are also converted to a single ellipsis character, which goes against many major style guides, which favor single ellipsis mid-sentence, and ellipsis plus period (that is, four dots) at the end of a trailing sentence....

3 Likes