New choicescript writers contest

Is anyone else’s spider sense tingling??

3 Likes

@Snoe, don’t you mean…

?

2 Likes

mate, your youtube channel doesn’t even exist. there is no actual mention of cowdog games anywhere on the net except threads on this forum and one group on sc3mapster.com that makes mods (which has been inactive since its conception). you don’t even have a website for regular operations, much less something that can handle other people’s money.

you’re also moving towards actual gambling with real money, which is both illegal in many, many places and a legitimately shady thing to suggest. it’s most likely either you or someone working for you would handle all the money since it all needs to be in one place, and, to be brutally honest, i doubt anybody would be willing trust you with their hard-earned cash, buddy.

save your breath, you’re digging your own grave. you don’t have the means to offer anything substantial, and that is absolutely fine, but there’s no need to string others along in your quest to gather funds. the other prize, ‘special attention’, has no clear definition.

why not just create a contest for fun just to see what can be created in some limited amount of time? why not have people just cast votes for the winners? why not have the prize be picking the themes of the next contest?

P.S.

not very many people actually say that. it is such a simple system to implement that it would be worse for the game in the long run to have it implemented after it’s finished, unless you mean the game will give the player the option to choose gender after the contest ends. that and most people, y’know, already do this when they want to implement a non-ambiguous gender (which, by the way, is one other way to handle gender).

also, there are more than two genders, so it’d be much appreciated if you stopped saying ‘both’.

10 Likes

Yes the type of contest that I want orinigally. Is for people to make the demo, for the contest and then have people vote the game for that catagory. For example the game Time Travling werwolves wins best narative, because it writes an engaging story for the reader to keep playing. Yes this contest may be for fun, but I want to see what writers for choice of games can really offer for the table, so that more people will come play choice of games. And for thows who are trying to find my channel you won’t find it because I haven’t posted any videos yet. I sent Jason an email, telling him that I want to do this contest, so that the people who made the choice of games software, can be proud because people are using the software, to change it and create new and different games with it.

The contest sha’ll start on sunday september 20, for whoever wants to do this contest.

And this is my true intentions for the contest. So if no one wants to do it then that’s fine. I’m not trying to make you guys do something you don’t want to do.

Good point. @Doctor
A disturbance in the force as some would put it;)

see, the thing is, everything our writers can bring to the table is already on the table. they’re already making games. they don’t need a contest informing them they can indeed make games in order to, you know, start making games. you might as well create a poll about which wip is the most promising and that’d achieve about the same result as this contest.

what are you going to do to entice more people into playing cogs? what part do you play in this? you have no userbase to promote the site or games to, your ‘company’ essentially consists of just you and no substantial work done whatsoever, and what you’re suggesting is only going to be a ‘thing’ amongst people who are already on the forum and already have access to games that are already being made.

everyone involved with the creation and development of choicescript and the company is already immensely proud of their userbase. that is a fact. they are.

if you still want to host a contest, rethink your terms and even the basic concept of it (it doesn’t even have an end date), actually gain some trust within the community, and start over, because this thread has left enough of a mark on your reputation and perceived ability to host a contest. it’s done.

this thread is now considered closed. I’m sorry if I’ve upset the community. I’m sorry and hope that the choice of games community is kind and helpful and does not hurt peoples feelings because that’s the message I got, is people hurt my feelings. But you no what in life nobody cares if they hurt your feelings or not because your life isn’t there life. d

Where do I even begin with this one?

Edit: Alright, timeout, timeout.
Something’s buggin’ me here.
No, seriously, timeout everyone.

I wanna make sure we’re not wailing on a kid.

Adam, forgive me for asking, but how old are you?

“Braille Club”
Are you visually impaired, Adam?

Double-Edit:

I think Adam is blind.

1 Like

Hang about for a minute.
Adam, as far as I can tell, what you really want is to encourage some great games to be made and attract more people to choice of games. Those are things I think everyone here can get behind.
I think you are being a little overambitious to suggest hosting it on your own website and the whole gambling thing seems to be putting people off.

Can I make a suggestion? Perhaps run a competition on these forums? There is CS Comp already but you could make it different to that. And a whole load of people entered CS Comp this year so there is definitely an appetite for it in the community.
It could have multiple categories, like you suggested, for instance best narrative, best characters, most difficult choice. CS Comp lasts a month so perhaps this one could last say 2 weeks? And rather than having the winner chosen by a couple of judges, a public vote on the forum like you said is a good idea.

I think if you try and do a competition along these lines it could be a success. I’m sure the community would get behind it and I for one would help you administer it if you wanted. Your heart is clearly in the right place Adam, you just need to be a bit clearer and keep things simple.

5 Likes

@adamthecowdog I hope you realize that the points that myself and @OfficerRattlesnake brought up aren’t personal attacks and at least on my part (because I can only speak for myself) no bad feelings were meant. We may come from a place of cynicism towards your idea, but there’s nothing personal in it and we’re not attacking you over anything. It’s criticism that everyone who wants to start anything must face at some point. I know you have your heart set on great things and you should not abandon those no matter what anyone tells to you, because they are good ideas.

All you need is time to flesh them out to yourself before you bring them up to others. As ideas go, they are awesome and achievable, just need more time put in to them to bring them to the point where we can understand easily what exactly you’re trying to achieve and what your means are to get to that.
Keep working on it. Find some people who are willing to help you set everything up or lower your expectations and work on something smaller that can then grow bigger. Take constructive criticism for what it is and make notes on what people seem to like and not like and adjust your goals, take non-constructive criticism as background noise that often has nothing to offer.
Don’t let your dreams be dreams.

4 Likes