My gamebook doesn't have any romance until the sequel, will that be a con for you guys?

I’d suggest just writing. Introduce interesting characters. When the players start yelling and saying “please let me romance XXXXXX” then consider romances. You’ll also have a more fleshed out characters by then because you’ll have been focussed on making them more three dimensional than just there for romance reasons.

My favourite romances in choice games are those that are there for plot reasons first and foremost.

Take Choice of Broadsides for instance and the romance with your rival in there. It wasn’t originally in the game, it was only added after the players asked for it. It was the best romance out of the game too.

@FairyGodfeather
Yeah I agree.

Romance is always a tricky thing to consider including, in my upcoming game I’m debating having six possible romance options, the intention being that there are three girls and three guys, and all but one of each are able to be romanced by either gender. But I have yet to decided how significant romance will actually be in my game and how easy it will be to program since it’s my first attempt.

@derekmetaltron
I’d say it’d be a pain to program it if they have significantly different personalities and variables associated with them, but it’d be worth it if you think it’d add substance to the story. After you guy’s feedback, I’m 95% sure I’m not going to cutting out the romance parts in my series since they were underdeveloped and I’m much more of a fantasy writer.

I agree with ravenclaw, good plot and choices than matters and poison that’s what i want ^^

@MaraJade
You’re gonna like the 4th book in my series…you play as a demon ascending from the netherworld into Earth, where you possess a human to use as your vessel as you enact your plan to become a tyrant.

I really don’t care if there’s romance in the game. If there is, fine, if there isn’t, fine. Romance is not important in a game like this, but if you want to include it, I won’t complain. As long as it had a good plot, and choices that matter, I’m a happy camper.

@The_Ravenclaw
Awesome! Glad to hear it:)

Coool, I will be a beautiful demon woman disguised as a charming Bard yessss i like it. A poison kiss for you :*

@MaraJade
Yeah I’ll let you decide who to possess, out of a list of at least three people. But I won’t even be starting on this book for about 3 years, as I’m only about half done with the 1st book.

@DJ_CUTY Dont worry i got patience i could practice evilness and poison with any character, if there is a evil way Mara would find it

I like romance, but I wouldn’t miss it in a combat adventure. Also, if you’re not really interested in romance or feel awkward about writing about it, it isn’t likely that the romance part of your game will be very good. In that case, just leave it out. You can’t please everyone.

Carnt wait

I would be annoyed if, when playing the sequel, the romance came out of nowhere. So like, drop hints about it maybe?

An example: in Mass Effect, you can romance both Garrus and Tali, but only in the second game, but no time before. So when I (and this is personal opinion) got to game two and found Garrus suddenly turned into this awkward boyfriend character instead of the rugged badass from before, I was confused.

But if you intend to introduce new characters in the sequel, go for it!

@DJ_CUTY
Romance can give a game a new layer of depth, but it can also remove layers of depth, depending on how it’s handled.

Not all games need romance, and not all romance needs to be a game. I do like romance in a game if it’s handled well. It can add a new layer of immersion and make choices a lot more seemingly permanent and give them added weight, but it isn’t needed to make an awesome game. As commented above, Sabres of Infinity was an excellent game. I’d gladly purchase a game if it’s good, even if it does not involve romance. Good luck with your project!

(I also know I’m a bit late to the party, but I just wanted to give my two cents.)

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I’ve actually decided that I will most likely not have romance, as I’m a much better fantasy action writer than romance, and it would feel forced because of how the plot is laid out.

It would be nice if you could though…

But what’s ever best for you captain

Nobody cares that there wont be any romance

-Socrates-

(there will probably be someone here on the forum that will belive that socrates really sayd that)

“People will believe anything that they see on the internet” - Benjamin Franklin.

I have a theory that you can make any sentence seem profound by writing the name of a dead philosopher at the end of it
-Porter-