Most anticipated COG games of 2018?

I know I’ve been out of the loop lately, but what exactly has happened to Cryptkeepers of Hallowford?

I don’t see it in the CoG list.

It’s being released later this month.

How was SoH 3 published so quickly? The game was available in the app store before it was on the Hosted Game released titles list.

4 Likes

I have no affiliation with that series, so I’m not sure.

Maybe the people in charge of the app store really wanted to find out what happened at the end of Book 2 so they “accidentally” rushed publishing

8 Likes

In my opinion it is because SoH is a very popular series, so they gave it priority over the others games.

4 Likes

I thought Hosted Games did minimal editing and reviewing work of their own? Of course they’ve got more of a corporate reputation and goodwill value to safeguard then in the beginning. To add to that they’re also limited by Steam’s quota of course, at least for dinosaurs like me.

While they only do minimal editing and reviewing, the people who review the games in question actually play through the game I believe? And generally have other jobs on top of that. COG might be in a position to expand staff somewhat, but they’re still a fairly small fish by publisher standards.

3 Likes

For me, I’m buying Choice of Magics and Darkling Watchers right off the bat. Merc Life is a strong contender too.

For HG, I’m getting Wayhaven the second it drops.

4 Likes

Not that many aside from Demon Lord of the Labyrinth (which I´ve been waiting for a long time) and Open Season, there isn´t many titles which would interest me. I guess Choice of Magic and The Darkling Watchers might be good, considering the writers.

2 Likes

I’ve been waiting for it a while, as well. It’s been on the CoG publishing list since early this year, hasn’t it? Feels as though it’s been years.

It might have been there since like 2015, if I remember correctly. I’ve been eagerly awaiting that one.

4 Likes

I nearly said it had been up there since last year at least, but I don’t have the best perception of time, so I wasn’t sure.

Either way, Demon Lord of the Labyrinth is one of the ones I’ve been anticipating, but time has worn away at my enthusiasm.

1 Like

@bbymorphine @Samuel_H_Young @RedRoses @Urban
Samurai of Hyuga Book 3 definitely didn’t get any special treatment. Publishing was painfully long due to production issues. The issues were company-wide, not specific to Book 3. Whatever the issues are I assume they’re fixed by now.

For reference, SoH3 was sent to HG on 9/11 and published 12/1. For this reason, I’m glad it wasn’t listed on the ‘Upcoming Games’ thread. I know my fans and the limits of their patience!

18 Likes

I’d imagine there would be a slowdown there. COG, as far as I’ve known, has very few permanent employees. Most of their employees are authors, have day jobs, oterwise have little time to dedicate, or have some combination of the above.

Can someone put a link to Choice of Magic? I am looking for it since everyone is talking about it, but I can’t find anything?

Most of the main COG games aren’t open WIPs. Even some HG games are entirely closed development. XoR is the only one I ever remember having an open testing phase, up until Fief (which literally just came up).

7 Likes

There are five full-time and one part-time: Jason, Becky, Mary, Rachel, Abby, and then Dan is still part-time.

9 Likes

Do you anticipate having to take on new employees in the upcoming year or so to account for the increase in number of releases? Or are you guys able to handle things with just your current team? If you did hire new employees, would that change how games are released in any way?

I have to say, it’s extremely impressive what CoG has managed to do with its size. Perhaps I’m just hyper-aware of CoG, but it really seems like the company has a distinct presence within its various app stores.

7 Likes