The story of Hamlet (sort of) as told by Ophelia (sort of). Think Shakespeare, but with more female agency.
Use your choices to shape Ophelia and her role in the play. Build relationships with the residents of Elsinore Castle and use them to strengthen Claudius’ grip on power, usurp the throne or leave the kingdom forever. Save your friends and family from their unfortunate ends or damn them to their tragic fate.
So, I am pretty new to the world of CoG (although it has been a notable feature of my 2020 and lockdown)! This started out more as a coding project than a writing one, one thing led to another and here I am with my little demo.
Play it here: https://dashingdon.com/go/7327
Check out my Tumblr for more regular updates or to have a nice long chat about any aspects that you don’t want to clog the forum with: morethingsgame.tumblr.com
- Play as gay, straight or bisexual.
- Choose Ophelia’s personality and skills and help her develop as she progresses through the play.
- Make choices to change the course of the play, rescuing the characters from fate or damning them to it.
- Influence who ends up on the throne, take it for yourself or abandon Elsinore altogether.
- There is a heavy romance element in this story. In the original play, Ophelia is very much controlled by the characters around her. While this retelling is very much about Ophelia calling the shots, her relationships with the people around her will still be of great importance.
- There are 6 romanceable characters: 3 male characters (Hamlet, Horatio and Reynaldo), 1 female character (Marcella) and 2 whose gender is determined by Ophelia’s selected sexuality (Guildenstern and Rosencrantz).
Feedback I’m looking for
- What did you like/dislike?
- What do you think of the characters?
- How are you finding the pacing? Are there any sections that drag on for too long or rush by too quickly?
- Please tell me if you spot any continuity errors!
- I’m particularly grateful for constructive feedback on my writing! This is my first attempt at writing anything and I definitely do not consider myself a writer, so tips would be great.
- Basically, I’m open to constructive criticism about pretty much any of it!
08/12: Posted the first demo! 17,000 words total covering the prologue and first scenes of day one.
09/12: Snuck in to fix some typos and coding errors, but no major additions.
01/01: My first major update. We’re now up to around 48,000 words! I’ve expanded upon the prologue content a little, although there is more that I still want to do with it in future updates. I have also added the first half of the day one content, including a choice of 3 ways for Ophelia to spend her morning.
15/01: Added some fixes to various coding issues (specifically the Polonius scenes which were all super buggy) and added two extra scenes as an apology for my very poor code lol
06/02: Finished off chapter 3! We are now up to 70569 words. I have added a save system (with the caveat that it will likely go all wonky with the next big update).
19/03: A mini update, if you will. Recoded the romance to allow for a little more nuance than a true/false could give, added the Chapter 1 Guildenstern scene and added more content with Ophelia’s father/brother to Chapter 1 and 2.