Moody.ink - New ChoiceScript Game Hosting

Moody lives!!! Thanks for taking over @EvilChani . Will we able to name the save slots now?

5 Likes

No problem. I will let @dashingdon know that you want your info moved over. Since it’s been almost three weeks, I’m thinking we can go ahead and start the transition to the new server.

I’m still working on finding someone to lend a hand with the backend code. Maybe Don can help me with that (the save slot issue) or, at least, point me in the right direction. I’ve been slammed with work and some personal problems, and haven’t had much time to review the code. If he doesn’t have time, I’ll try to go through the code in the next couple of weeks and figure out how and where to set that.

Eventually, I’d kind of like to redo it in CodeIgniter, which I’m familiar with (and kind of organizes things in a way I understand and can better manage). One of my first priorities, along with the save slot issue, is to get it set up for people to reset their own passwords.

I have some ideas for some other toggle-able features for authors to use, but need to better familiarize myself with how it works and find a couple of people to help out with it. The server I set up is beefy enough to run a separate dev environment to play around with, too.

4 Likes

I can give it a look, but I can’t promise anything. It’s the one available in GitHub, right?

1 Like

Yep, it’s on github.

(and yes, you stupid autobot, I want to post the link again! Nag!!)

1 Like

If you’d like to encourage others to help out, I think your first point of call (after making yourself familiar, of course) should be to write a CONTRIBUTING.md that outlines how to get started/build/test.

A proper written guide (even at just a high level, such as what each file/folder is for) could be a stretch goal.

If people can follow something to get set up and start making real changes quickly, then they’ll be much more likely to find the time to contribute.

2 Likes

So, I have been having some stupid problems with moody.ink
Whenever I open the save/load slot, for some reason, they just do not close until I refresh the entire page.

Hello! The site is nice, but since English is not my first language, I sometimes use a translation application and when I run the application, such an error appears.
Ekran Alıntısı

1 Like

Regarding save slots… I have insomnia (again) and started futzing with the code. I added three more save slots. Is six enough?

I think everything is pretty much working now, save for one issue. Once I can talk to Don and figure out the necessary permissions on the front end (right now, they’re wide open, which makes me want to jump off a building), I think this is ready to go (also need to figure out this https array key error that is driving me insane).

8 Likes

Thank you for taking up the task of working on this, Chani! (Also, please give my thanks to your colleague).

I am getting closer and closer to the day I need to establish my pre-beta Patchwerks version, and will be dming you once I reach that point (if it is alright to do so).

3 Likes

No problem, I’m happy to help out where I can.

And feel free to dm me any time. :slight_smile:

My colleague hasn’t been helping out yet, so I’ve kind of been on my own with it (and too busy to mess with it much until this weekend). Once I started digging into the files, it wasn’t too hard to get it running. And the save slots offered are all in one file… I need to test to make sure they work, but from what I can tell, they should work okay.

As I keep digging around, I should be able to pick it up well enough to manage it and do like @CJW said and produce a high-level doc explaining what each file does and how it runs so others can contribute. Don really kicked ass coding this thing by himself!

7 Likes

Just FYI, in case anyone is looking at the code…

Because I didn’t have permissions to push changes to the moody.ink repo, I set up a new repo with the files I have changed (switched links to the domain I set up, cogdemos.ink, fixed the header array error, set save slots to six, etc.). I’ve done about all I can manage–it works, and has been thoroughly tested, including settings for private games. SSL has been set up so the site is secure. The new repo is here:

I found a guy who is going to fix the code to handle password resets (via mailtrap, where I set up an account to use smtp via an api key), implement a way for users to save their progress locally (so they don’t have to log in to play a game), and add a (hopefully) toggle-able “back” button, since that would be really useful for beta testing. He said he will start working on that this weekend.

@dashingdon Since the new site is functional, whenever you want to back up the accounts of those who want to keep them and transfer the domain to me, feel free. I am going to keep it on the new domain I set up and just set up permanent forwarding to the new site from moody.ink.

15 Likes
Tech question

Why do you need Mailtrap? Is there some security issues with PHP’s in-built functions I’m not aware of?

Is this someone you know and trust, or is otherwise reputable?
Sorry to doubt, and I suppose it’s not like you’re storing overly sensitive information, but I’d be cautious about handing the keys over to any random contractor from fiverr.com, for example.

Just makes it easier, I think. I need an SMTP server either way, and don’t really feel like dealing with postfix on another server (I already manage servers for work that have a bazillion different moving parts I have to track). Even at work, we use mailgun to deal with the mail side of things, and just plug the API code into our env files.

I did find him on fiverr after hours of searching through options. This guy is more experienced and I can communicate well with him, which was something I worried about. He seems to be reputable. That said…

• I’m not giving him the api keys from mailtrap and he doesn’t have access to the production server. I needed the keys to set up what he’s doing (at first I thought he may need them for testing, in which case I could have them changed to put into prod).
  • He downloaded the code and set up an instance of the site on his local machine to make changes. He’s sending me the code when it’s done.
  • I’m not installing anything on production until I’ve a) tested it on a temporary server I set up, and b) do a code review to make sure there are no back doors installed (there shouldn’t be that many changes necessary to do what I’ve asked). Also having my husband look over it after I review it to get another set of eyes on it… and he’s a security guru, and has been for the past 20 years.

So yeah, I’m not handing the keys over to anyone–it’s taken too much work to get this up and running and do testing for me to risk having it hosed up (which is why I put the new code out on github). The only person, at this point, that I’d be willing to give root access to the prod server is Don.

6 Likes

Thanks for that. Again, apologies for asking such a loaded question but it sounds like you’re on the same wave-length when it comes to keeping this community safe! Looks like you’re exercising due diligence, thanks for taking the time to explain. Good luck with everything, and thank you for taking this on. Such a huge boon for the community.

7 Likes

No problem! I completely understand why you’d be concerned, since you and I don’t really know each other. I’d have been asking too, were it someone else handling it!

When he sends me the code changes, after my husband and I take a look and I test it on dev, I’ll push it to the new repo so others can take a gander as well. I figure the more eyes on the code, the better.

Exactly. That’s why I pushed it up there. I’ll set up a separate branch with the new code so we can compare changed files. That’s how we do it at work, and despite it being a pain in the ass when all you want is a small change, it is the safest way to do it.

2 Likes

That’ll certainly make it easier to see what’s changed too, since Github tracks that automatically.

3 Likes

The guy finished with the code for the password reset. Tested it on the dev server with the sandbox mailtrap smtp and it works as expected. In case anyone wants to look over the code, I made a pull request to myself (lol) here:

I did a quick once over of the code, and it appears to just be using PHP mailer. I’ll look at it in more depth later and force my husband to look at it.

And, excuse my whining, but…

We had a freaking day of it… our dog hurt himself catching a ball in the backyard and we spent most of the day at the emergency vet. Poor guy is still limping, but they think it’s just a soft tissue injury. Now I’m stressed out as hell.

8 Likes

so i was trying to sign into my moody account but i wasn’t aware about this until now. how do i move my account and move it where? ive been wanting to get into playing an updated wip and id like to play with slots :smiling_face_with_tear: ty for anyone that can help

It’s moved to https://cogdemos.ink/
Although I’m not sure if the account migration is still ongoing

1 Like