Monsters of New Haven High - last update 4/02

hey, @Sashira. Do me a favor and pm me when you make updates, I can’t watch the thread anymore.

Checking back through the thread for title suggestions - it looks like I missed some questions. I’ll edit this post as I find more.

In the scene in the alley, even if you had a semi-positive interaction in first period, you haven’t been working on either twin for long enough to really get through to them. Keep an eye on your Artemis/Hunter relationship score, if it goes up you’re doing something right, even if it isn’t showing yet. I’m finishing up a scene for Day 2 that will build on whatever relationship you tried to establish in Day 1, now that they’ve had a chance to sleep on it and consider your actions.

Some tips for making them like you:

• Avoid the fight in the alley. Walk away from it if you have to, or don’t go there at all in sixth period if you’re having trouble leaving. Don’t hurt them.

• If you’re on a romantic playthrough, try being a flirty smartass in first period (or someone who has a crush on them) and then kiss them in the alley when they get in your face.

• If you’re rebellious enough to get the option to smoke in the alley, ignore them and do that. It will give you a reason for being there besides forcing an interaction with them, which will make them pause.

• Whenever given the chance, tell them you don’t want to be enemies and that you’re not dangerous.

That should not be. I’ll look at it right away. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hm, if the pressure wasn’t high enough to crush them? Probably. Radiation and lack of air don’t seem like they’d be problems. More to the point, in this story I might include a paranoid vampire whose refuge is at the bottom of a lake. Besides soggy clothes their lair would have a lot of benefits.

I will look at this relationship check and fix that. It makes me feel very odd that you can look at my code, though. I thought those label names would stay inside jokes with myself…

No, though the flavor will differ based on the individual’s personality and their mood when the blood was taken. Connoisseurs can tell.

All of the main monsters who aren’t MCs do have their own stuff going on. I think I’ll mention who they show up to the dance with, as a clue about how their own love lives are going.

Is the paranoid vampire being included as a NPC or a possible lifestyle for our character?

The former. Another older vampire who has gone a little weird over the centuries.

I would call that more than “a little weird,” but he/she sounds like fun. :slight_smile:

Posted a poll about the new title of Monster High. It seems that polls are down for now, but please reply with your opinions:

Thanks for answering my question.

Maybe somting like, hmm… “Monsters in cover”? But there is no reference to the school aspect of game and is sound a little silly. Soo… “Monster Academy”?

Found an error:

Hello @Sashira,
I am not sure if anyone has asked/mentioned this but I having a really difficult time increasing my cunning for my vampire girl. I was wondering what options I need to choose to increase them.

I tried the combination of wearing prep clothes and liking the persuasive TV show actor (these both appeared to increase my cunning but my cunning stayed at 5 even when I choose both options). I have tried other combinations to see which one would increase both my persuasion and cunning but nothing seems to be working.

The strangest errors have been popping up lately. Scenes that have passed quicktest, that have been playing fine since I last changed anything, suddenly breaking. This is another case where the code has no problems, but is tripping up an error message.

I re-uploaded that scene, in case it had something to do with the Dropbox problems recently. If you run into this again, please let me know when in your playthrough you ran into the error? The line number isn’t helping in this case.

@LadyKuonji
The prep clothes raise popularity, and that choice for your favorite actor raises persuasion. The stats definitely need re-balancing at some point, but for now, is there something you specifically needed cunning to achieve? There will be more chances to gain skills in Day 2, and most skill checks can be achieved in more than one way.

@Affchan
Psst, thanks for the feedback, but the poll about the title is in another thread.

Bugs fixed:

• Sitting with Wendy at her table during lunch is now possible. The requirement for success is relationship at 25 or higher.
  • As a demon, when fighting Hunter or Artemis, after teleporting you can walk away without being mean about it, as long as they are not badly injured (if they are, you can still get the nurse.)

General announcement:
I’m going to decide the new title sometime in the next day or two, so if you have opinions, please stop by the poll thread soon.

Okay, I replayed the beginning and made the same choices, it doesn’t seem to be coming up anymore. It might just be a Dropbox issue. Have you tried running randomtest as well? That catches a lot of errors quicktest sometimes can’t

I got the required stat but the choice is still blocked.

I can’t run randomtest properly on my Mac, unfortunately. Unless I figure out a way around that, I’m going to have to keep relying on quicktest, manual editing, and play testers.

It’s good to know that a weird error might be fixed by reloading or re-uploading. It’s been driving me crazy the last week or so trying to figure out where the bugs are coming from, when they’re nowhere to be found in the code.

@Ryuu Sorry, do you mean you have 25 or higher relationship with Wendy, and still can’t sit at her table? If you go up to her table, don’t irritate her with your conversation choices, and ask to sit with her, with the stated stat high enough you should be able to. If your problem is that you can’t get to her table at all, you might be playing a demon who’s too self-centered to walk over there. In which case, that is meant to happen, but I could change it if it’s too irritating.

I was playing as a vampire. Is persuasion a required stat for that choice? If it is then I see where I messed up.

@Sashira Thank you for the quick reply!
I was trying to increase my cunning so I could get a chance to go outside and run. I was also wanted to see all the different scenes you created (I thought they were all very interesting, giving both the characters and the MC more depth).

I also want to note that I am really liking your story and I hope to read more in the future.

You’re right, there was also a low skill check. All requirements necessary to sit with Wendy:

• Have fifth period lunch. That is when she eats.
  • If a demon, have cunning at 20 or higher, persuasion at 25 or higher (easy for that species to achieve.) Otherwise you will not realize that she is too shy to go for the “long distance flirty eyes that mean you don’t have to get up and walk over there and lose some face with your friends”.
  • In the conversation, select “I’d like to sit with you.” Pre-requisites for selecting this are persuasion at 30 or higher for demons, 15 or higher for non-demons, or a humanity option that makes no sense and so I just edited it - henceforth it is humanity less than 60 that will help her open up to you. An easy way to raise persuasion is to select the smooth-talking actor at your locker.
  • There are also several more options that end with her inviting you to talk to her next period.

Ways to get onto the playing field:

• Play as a demon. Have at least 10 in magic reserves, which I think is impossible not to have at this point. Shapeshift into an athlete and walk out.
  • Have conforming at less than 40, OR cunning greater than 5.

Cunning is a bit hard to raise. Here is a list of ways to raise it before then (keep in mind that these choices may have other lasting effects):

• If you’re asexual/aromantic, do logic puzzles.
  • Be concerned about what Hunter/Artemis might mean in first period.
  • As a non-vampire, bluff about having done your homework in first period.
  • As a vampire in first period, suggest that Grendel could’ve avoided his fate by living in a more remote area.
  • As a non-vampire in first period, consider that Victoria might be right about there being two sides to Grendel’s story.
  • As a non-demon in second period, see Benny as a threat.
  • As a non-goblin in second period, see Chantal/Caleb as a threat.
  • As a demon in second period, decide to manipulate Benny.
  • In passing period, be concerned about Taylor possibly exposing your secret.
  • Tell Taylor not to mention that you’re a monster (by suggesting people would think he/she is crazy - the similar option raises persuasion.
  • As a non-wendigo in gym, be afraid of Wendy.
  • As a wendigo in gym, plot to romance your rival Carl.
  • As a werewolf in gym, wonder what the gym teacher is really talking about.
1 Like

@Sashira
Thank you so much!
(Now I will be able to test out all the different paths you created so far. Can’t wait!)

Can you tell me how to get 15 persuasion for goblin? I chose like for charms and I rose my hand, which only got me up to ten. Can you help? Thanks in advance.

To raise persuasion: (if I’m only searching a few scenes, these things are actually pretty easy to find in the code, neat!)

• Before first period, choose the well-spoken favorite actor/actress at the locker, or as an asexual/aromantic (I’m not sure whether they get that particular option?) chat with humans on the internet.
  • In first period, mock Hunter or Artemis (requires humanity below 50, conforming below 45, or being a demon.)
  • In first period, make sure to say you did your homework. If Miss Kurosawa is happy with her students, she will share with them a deep and very meaningful quote which will also raise persuasion.
  • As a vampire in first period, don’t do your homework, and you will get a persuasion boost for the socializing with your servant you did instead.
  • As a vampire in first period, suggest that both Beowulf and Grendel were in the wrong, or that Grendel had a good reason.
  • Crack jokes in second period.
  • Warning: as a vampire in second period, neglecting other things in favor of studying will lower your normally high persuasion.
  • In passing period be enthusiastic about the project (“That sounds great…”) while convincing Taylor to leave out the parts about your monstrous secret. The option where you manipulate Taylor instead of flattering him/her to do this raises cunning instead.
  • As a demon in third period, lure people under the diving board like a pervy siren.

So, what this all means is that a goblin will have to select the exact right three choices to pass that stat check. I will try to look at that in further edits, but for now, do what you can from that list and you’ll be okay.

These stat changes might be altered in further edits, since there’s still a lot of re-balancing to do.

@Hell_Satan
Which weakness, do you mean your inability to spend long periods alone, as a demon? If so, yes, this is something you can work on controlling. Demons instinctively feel unsettled if they are alone by choice, while not planning their next hunt. Raising your serenity stat (which you can do by practicing loneliness) will help you have more self-control and unlock certain future options. Serenity functions in a similar way for other species, and is also important for wendigos.