May 2023's Writer's Support Thread

Generally in male-dominated parts female LIs are more popular, and it’s the opposite for female-dominated parts. In Infinity Sea, for example, Katarina and Betrothed are the most prominent romantic options, in Samurai of Hyuga female versions of characters show more often than male oned, in Wayhaven the proportion skews towards all-male Unit Bravo.

I feel in general romance, due to its usual audience and certain stigma about it, tends to attract female players more. So it’s usual that romance IFs get a lot of female players, and in non-romance games, especially ones locked to male-only, the amount of male players will be higher. But it’s all based on my fairly limited observation.

10 Likes

Don’t talk about the X club? That sounds… counter-productive, in this case.

Not recently, but I got similar ones a while ago.

Sidenote, I read “thanks for the reptiles” and was very confused for a moment.

Has it gone from less audience to no audience? Huh, that’s really sad. I’m pretty sure romances would ruin some stories.

This means more NB love interests, clearly.

7 Likes

It’s part of the stereotyping, I suppose. Romance is supposed to be for everyone, though.

Not all stories have to have romance. Trying to force fit will only mess up the story.

Edit: Why not more nonbinary ROs? I guess some ROs being nonbinary is both more realistic and more inclusive- hey, even in my WIP, some Maverick Hunters like Valentine are nonbinary. In fact, Hannah actually popularised this in Honor Bound.

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear enough.

4 Likes

I’m sorry, I seem to be unable to understand what kind of “why not” this is.

1 Like

I mainly threw in romances in my project because I thought they’d be fun to write, but friendship route will probably be the one I’ll start doing first. In case of one of the characters, I’ll just replace it with interest route which can or can’t progress into romance.

Well, there is also the fact discussions often center on romance, so if I want any feedback and discussion, I ought to throw in some. It’s a mix of both: I’d be interested in trying to write romance and it’d be beneficial for me to throw this in for wider reach.

7 Likes

My point was exactly that, based on the given data, there should be more NB love interests. Didn’t it come out that way?

1 Like

It will certainly make mine worse, I could sugarcoat it but That is not my style. When a writer hates something and fills compelled to include it, The story suffers. It will have something that will fill shallow and like copy-paste probably.

I am trying to adopt a commercial pragmatic view of the fact now that I am deep in the planning.

sniff I would love that there were a place and audience for games without romance. But this is like this is or I have info about romances in the game highlights or I won’t even have testers, alone buyers.

7 Likes

I’m sure there is audience (I don’t need romance, personally) but it definitely is smaller.

6 Likes

For now, my plans are going well. It is not exactly the game I had in mind but is close to it.

The funny thing is far closer to my first iteration of this game than half a decade ago. A game that ended in alpha with more than 100k Starting the project that depressed me again is a challenge but my therapist says I have to close the wound the big failure of this game caused me.

9 Likes

I know it’s not original, but… a golden lion’s head on red background.
My readers group think is too much Gryffindor.
Could be considered plagiarism or not?

1 Like

If its too similar be sure to use a different Töne of red, and maybe Turn the lions head in whichever direction gryffindor is not :smiley:

1 Like

It wouldn’t be plagiarism as you can find a lot of standards, flags and coat of arms that have lions or lion heads on them. Richard the Lionheart for example had a standard that was golden lions on a red background. Lions actually get used a lot for medieval imagery because they represent courage and nobility.

That being said, if you’re actually copying the exact description of the lion on gold from the Gryffindor standard, then you’re going to get into some trouble.

Honestly, golden lion makes me think more of Lannister than Gryffindor but that’s just me.

*edit because I’m half asleep and typoed Lannister as Lancaster…

2 Likes

I’m trusting you with this… My mother draw it, so I’m very attached to

Leonis family emblem

EDIT @WRMK Yes, I thought the Lannister too, especially since their main “rival” is a black wolf on white background. I swear despite the similarities I’ve never watched a single episode of Game of Throne, and I’ve never read the books

4 Likes

Looks more Like lionking than gryffindor, but that might just be my thinking, but its pretty.

2 Likes

…please excuse me nerding out here…

There’s no tone in heraldry, red is red.

…how do you describe a golden lion’s head on red background in a way that isn’t “a golden lion’s head on a red background”?

Well, Gules, a lion’s head cabossed Or, I guess. I’m not that comfortable with the English terminology.

2 Likes

You would be surprised if you knew how many “reds” you can encounter in heraldry and how picky they are with subtle differences

1 Like

Not in the official grammar, there isn’t. Of course, you also aren’t allowed to have letters in a coat of arms, and still there are those.

2 Likes

Crimson, Cadmium, Vermilion, Purpura…

The list is long

1 Like

Y’all hanging out here, too?

1 Like

Purpura is not red, it is purpura. It’s a completely different thing.

In any event, those may be in use somewhere and the owners may guard their color definitions zealously, but they are not official heraldry colors (although they are officially colors otherwise).

There are no fixed shades for heraldic colours. If the official description of a coat of arms gives its tinctures as Gules (red), Azure (blue) and Argent (white or silver) then, as long as the blue is not too light and the red not too orange, purple or pink, it is up to the artist to decide which particular shades they think are appropriate.

(source)

Then again, depends on your time period, of course. Medieval probably doesn’t care overmuch (you’d need to work with the colors you have on hand, and paint and fabric may not have same tone). Then again, the lion would most likely show more teeth there. Rococo would probably be extremely picky, but then fill the background with vines of a different tone than the main field.

Well, assuming you’re using real-history rules, that is. If not, go wild.

3 Likes