March 2021's Writer Support Thread

Thanks!

I was actually pretty good in cutting down the scope of the game - it was just that the planning phase ended up taking half the time! I just find it so easy to distract myself with nonsense.

I could submit my game without an ending, it would fit the theme of my game and the topic of the contest very well.

5 Likes

It is something you end up learning from experience. Next jam or contest will be easier for you planning. Thatā€™s the reason why I cheer up everyone to trying jams and contests. It is a good way to learning how deal with stress, dealines and planning without lost the same as if you actually publishing it.

6 Likes

March is going well this far. Sure, my wordcount total is probably only at a few hundred words, but Iā€™ve done two writing sessions on the Halloween game from Maraā€™s writing jam now. Last month I tried, but didnā€™t know where to start or what to do, so itā€™s definitely progress.

8 Likes

Making a late push to at least get to my secondary goal of 10,000 words. 3,000 to go so it will be a hard thing to manage. I want it on the record now that if I fail, @Brian_Rushton gets part of the blame.

5 Likes

??? oh noā€¦lol

1 Like

I finished Knights of the Old Republic 2 the other day (still a terrific game, still a lousy ending) and next up on my docket for an iPhone game was the campaign you mentioned you had made for Wesnoth. I should have been out her trying to write like an hour ago! Instead I was trying to keep those bony buggers from wiping out my newly minted team of fire drakes and leveling up my first pair of Saurian Ambushers.

3 Likes

Thanks, thatā€™s so kind of you to say! Iā€™ll have to port that to 1.16 when it comes out

2 Likes

End of the month check-in. I have not met my two sentences per day goal for fiction writing, but I focused on other types of writing (mainly for employment purposes so cover letters, resumes, etc.).

I need to exercise my discipline to sit down everyday and write and overpower my perfectionist tendencies. Iā€™m still not sure if Iā€™ll able to reach my goal of releasing a substantial demo (20k words or more) by the end of 2021 but weā€™ll see.

Hereā€™s to April! :tada: :sunflower:

9 Likes

Well here I am after dropping off the map for forever again. Figured I just needed to throw myself into the deep end and just release something so that I had some motivation to update every day. So, following that goal, I decided to put my main project on pause because I donā€™t have the energy to plan stories right now. Instead I just released a demo a couple hours after coming up with the concept for it and I have it posted now! I will be pushing myself to update it every day, no matter how small the update is. Iā€™d like to finish the prologue by the end of the week, with a stretch goal of finishing by the time the April support thread comes around :smiley:

6 Likes

lmao, this guy.

i did finish the draft up to the ending, which there areā€¦ twelve, with five of them having slightly-different variations. So, seventeen total. Next month Iā€™ll complete those, and then Revising (of which i already have a list of two dozen things to fix. Yikes!)

it is what it is! but iā€™d like to have it done and ready for beta readers by the end of april. we will see how that goes!

8 Likes

Hey thatā€™s still a ton of progress! The end is in sight, so congrats!

4 Likes

Iā€™m quite happy with how this month ended. Took a break for one week after updating my WIP, and I feel ready to get back to writing again. It has received positive feedbacks so far. And well, just hoping I can maintain it until the end. Plus, the next chapter will be quite a challenge to write, so good luck to me, I guess.

4 Likes

Posted the latest chapter (even as rough draft) that took me over 3 months to write. What used to be 2 weeks per new chapter is probably 2+ months per new chapter from now to who knows when it will finish. :joy: :triumph:
Still many continuity bugs to catchā€¦ :pray: (secretly want to just move on to next chapters of branching nightmare, hahaā€¦ :sweat_smile: )
Thank you @Jayffel for your thoughtful engagement of the content and valuable feedback. :heart: @CC_Hill Donā€™t read update yet it doesnā€™t have the stuff you want. :grin: :dog: @Jackpot1776 Hope you are managing scope-creep well this time, but even if not the branching can be pruned. :scissors: Thank you all for your support.

Best wishes to everyone struggling with pushing through difficult/unenjoyable parts of oneā€™s writing. :tea: Take walks, naps, do chores, the brain is still working on ideas even when one might not be actively writingā€¦

9 Likes

Congrats on the update, the good part is you are writing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Never stop writing! I am waiting for the final verdict about my very first Hosted Game.

Fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

My goal is simple

• forge my skills of writing the best I can
3 Likes

I am 17k without code in the Contest game. So I think I can finish it on time, fingers crossed. But I suppose due I am a slow writer my game will be the shortest one on the contest.

7 Likes

Good luck!

4 Likes

Donā€™t worry about being the shortest - Iā€™m way behind you and have been mostly writing nonsense.
Probably wonā€™t manage to get it in a state to submit for the contest either.

4 Likes

My advice as participant in lots of events, it is present the game even if you tell the judges donā€™t make score public and go off contest.

Because Their feedback will be key to helping you to improve.

I promise you that I will get you all feedback I can when the games are public!

We are all here in same page, trying to improve ourselves.

4 Likes