Magium - The mage tournament (WIP) -> Updated 09/12/2015

Can i defeat Eiden alone? I don’t want help! I want to beat him only through my power alone. The fight was very satisfying.

Yes, there will be a path where you can fight Eiden alone and defeat him. There will also be a path where you don’t fight him in the end. It depends on how you interact with him and with other characters as the story progresses.

Which of the fights did you like? Did you get to see them both? In chapter three you can defeat all of the one hundred crossbowmen alone, while in the latest chapter you can defeat Cutthroat Dave by yourself in a few different ways.

In order to fight the crossbowmen you have to fail to defend Kate from the sleeping dart.

In order to get to the duel with Cutthroat Dave, you need to show yourself to him in the first chapter and Kate needs to be seriously injured after the battle in chapter three.

For Kate to get seriously injured, you either have to go back and call Daren and leave her to fight the crossbowmen alone, or pick all of the choices that lead to you wasting time in the battle : fight all the crossbowmen, leave no survivors and choose to snipe them from afar or aim while moving.

I plan to make an achievement system in order for people to get an idea of the different things that can happen.

Only the crossbowmen fight. I killed them all alone! That fight was truly satisfying for me! We can become even more powerful than Eiden? Because this is what i want to have in the end, power!

1 Like

Hmm, it’s a bit difficult to quantify power like that. Technically since you can defeat Eiden in the end, it can be said that you will be more powerful than him at that point in time.

You will never be able to attain as much magical power and knowledge as he has, but you can compensate through your overpowered stat device. The max values of the stats will grow in time and your powers will start to resemble those of superheroes, near the end of the story. If you max your strength and toughness you’ll be kinda like Superman or the Hulk. If you max your agility and reflexes you will be kinda like the Flash. Maybe not that strong since both Superman and the Flash can traverse the globe in a matter of seconds, but you get the idea.

So you will be able to become stronger than Eiden, faster than Eiden, tougher than Eiden, but he will always have a lot more magical power than you. So will you be more powerful than him in the end? It’s all a matter of perspective.

1 Like

Magic was always my favorite power. To beat him in his own territory would have been great. Our objective is to become a mage, how powerful we could become? To never reach his level of power is driving me mad with envy!

There will be magical artifacts you will be able to use which operate like normal magic. There will also be a path where you can become a mage, but it will not come without a price. Remember Kate’s warning in the third chapter.

Becoming a mage when you can’t cast any magic at all is an almost impossible feat by itself. Remember, your initial goal was to become a mage, not one of the most powerful mages in history. And for that goal alone you were willing to risk everything!

With the artifacts, you will be able to cast magic that is on a level similar to the stronger mages that joined this tournament.

By becoming a pure mage, you will be a bit weaker.

1 Like

I just updated the game with 2 more chapters, which brings the game at 65k words in total.

Here is the link: http://gamesmakeyousmart.com/?page_id=197

Unfortunately I have become unable to edit the title and the first post. :confused:

Is there some time limit after which you can’t do these things anymore? It would be nice if I could at least remove that “updated 30/10/2015” from the title and the info related to the last update from the main post…

4 Likes

I’m afraid I can’t do anything about the first post, but the title is now updated.

Thanks a lot! :smiley:

I’ve played it yesterday, this is getting interesting and exciting! :smile:
I’m REALLY anxious and curious to find out what Barry is because he isn’t supposedly human.

I can’t play it on android.

I will post the apk version too, but I first need to make a few tweaks. At the moment, the text isn’t visible on several tablets. Do you have a phone or a tablet? Is the old apk with the first 4 chapters working for you? (the one in the original post)

I have a tablet. The last apk is working perfect.

Alright, I’ll try and post the apk version tomorrow. Please tell me if you can see all the text after you’ve played it, because I only have the Google nexus 7 tablet to test on. (plus a few other phones).

@yanphi

I’m glad you liked the game so far! I already started writing on the next chapter so hopefully it won’t be long until the mystery is solved :smile:

My assumption is that Barry is somehow an Ancient, I mean what civilization would build magic transferring artifacts if they couldn’t use them for their own benefit?

I don’t know what everyone else did, but I played the game two ways.

First way was the lowly muggle way, getting through the game through quick wits and luck, and really made the response “What are you doing here? You’ll get killed!” seem valid.

Then I went superhero mode for the second playthrough, and singlehandedly defeated a small army and then the king of the dragons in hand to hand combat thanks to maxed out combat and strength ratings.

So did anyone enjoy the game with a different build?

Did he build the stats booster? I thought he found it?

He found it or maybe he bought it, to everyone else it’s just a child’s toy, remember? That wasn’t my point.

My point is that everything points to the ancients building the stats box, and why would they bother if they couldn’t use it? Do you think we would have invented cars if only cats could drive them? Do you think we would have invented cell phones for parrots? Televisions for dogs?

No, we built all those things for ourselves, and if later we can use the technology for other creatures, like say prosthesis or other medical techniques for animals, it’s after the fact.

For that matter, the simple matter of technology is that it’s for doing things we can’t do yourself. You don’t need a knife if you have claws, you don’t need to put on armor if you can grow your own, etc.

So the fact that they built a device for leeching magic out of the environment to turn one into a superhero heavily suggests that they couldn’t just cast a spell and throw trees, or cast a spell and understand ancient languages, etc.

So occam’s razor approach to things would suggest that the ancients had less magic than other humans, explaining the need for building such a thing, because the other assumption, that the ancients had regular amount of magic and to them, the device was the equivalent of a rubic’s cube that just so happens to turn people other than them into superheroes is far less likely.

Not impossible, its possible that an ancient thought to himself “Hey, let’s build this and see what happens,” but all things being equal, it’s not where I’d put my money.

As for why he doesn’t know he’s an Ancient? Well, if the civilization fell, which it pretty strongly implied it did, and the ancient refugees fled, well if they look just like non ancients, why would he know? People are surprised by their family tees when they do those genetic tests all the time, some people inherit health conditions or height, he inherited pathetic amounts of magic.

I got an issue on your website, at a moment the text is not visible but hidden by the top of the site. At the end, the whole text disappeared and I can only see the choice buttons.
I use Chrome.

Is this on your phone or something? I use chrome on my laptop and the website is fine?

No on my computer. At the beginning it’s ok but when we begin to fight with Kate in the forest the top of the text just disappear.