神龍之土 Land of the Dragon [WIP] (09/07/20 Update! The Uprising Appears!)

You don’t need to lore dump. It can come up later in the story. If this is part of the world then I’m sure there will be examples of people who have already done this, or are planning to do so. It could come up this way, someone the MC knows going through the process or have gone through it. Maybe it’s something like a magic version of artificial insemination since medical knowledge/technology hasn’t reached this point.

1 Like

@Prof_Chaos @violet @Eiwynn thank you all for your advice! I am currently writing the orientation options, which for now are: sexual(?), asexual and aromantic. As for marriage worldbuilding I am still considering how to piece it into the story, so I can’t make any promises, but we’ll see how it is as it goes along! I’ll be sure to keep your advice in mind.

5 Likes

Allosexual is the opposite of asexual. It means “someone who experience sexual attraction”.

One of my pet peeves is lots of recent WIPs treating being axexual as a black-and-white, is never interested in sex, ever, thing, instead of a spectrum with lots of different nuances.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info! But yeah, bc im trying to keep the orientation options simple for now, demisexuality etc will only be explored in options during the romance scenes themselves, which I think makes more sense with flow anyways since they will only take place later in the game where MC has already had long/deeper interactions with ROs.

4 Likes

Omg I love this Demo.
Chen Kun is my favourite RO so far. A guy, who has secret life, is torn between his duty and his affair. Aw, I need more of this.

I’m an Asian and I’ve watched lots of Chinese movies. So I’m familiar with the culture and those myths. However, when I read some roman words, they still confuse me :joy: Like I read about something I’ve already known while have no ideal I’ve known them. I’m only used to reading Asia mythologies in my mother tongue.

5 Likes

@Hoang_Dieu haha thanks for your kind comment! :smile: do tell if you think any English translations of Asian words/titles sound strange though, bc tbh I rarely read Ancient Chinese setting books in English either so most of them are self-translated and uncertified :joy:

BTW, @everyone I’m currently writing Chapter 2, which is set in Duolin Temple, and I’m kinda having trouble reconciling religious issues especially with potential romance especially. The religion in the game will be very loosely based on Buddhism, with the gods being unnamed, but as some of you may have noticed in the Religion Trial I named some of the Buddhist sutras and prayers. Because I myself am religious I feel a little hesitant about how much homage and how much artistic license I should take with the issue…

Currently the Priestesses of Duolin Temple are modeled a little more after ancient Japanese monkhood, some sects of which allowed marriage (or uh, at least the taking of lovers? I think there’s some controversy about this pls correct anyone if I’m wrong). This was originally to facilitate Qin Lan as an RO, but now that I’m writing her I feel rather uncomfortable with portraying the most important religious character in the game as breaking her religious vows (according to irl Buddhism, then and now). So I am considering making Qin Lan aromantic instead.

As Qin Lan’s high r/s stat will still be one key way to secure support from the religious faction in game, you will still be able to fall for/try to woo her, but eventually she will state her preferences and while I am considering a platonic soulmates kind of ending with MC and Qin Lan both considering each other as the most important person in their lives regardless of the non-romantic nature of their relationship, you will not be able to romance her in the traditional sense.

What do you guys think? I must admit I’ve never written an aromantic character before, so I’d be grateful for any advice.

7 Likes

I’m so glad you mentioned this… when I read the listing of your characters and you said she “chose to adopt the celibate (at least publicly…) life…” I was kind of meh about that. I personally like to see all different types of characters and I usually find religious types (monks/priestess) very interesting. When they completely go against their own beliefs it ruins the effect for me. I’m like “eh, what’s the point of them being religious?” It’s just fun sometimes when there is a character that no matter what you do you can’t romance them. Eat your heart out. Makes the game seem more real. :stuck_out_tongue: Kind of like Samara in Mass Effect. I was in love with that chick but she repeatedly turned me down because of her code. I couldn’t get mad though, awesome character.

2 Likes

Don’t remind me. I’m still a little bitter about this. Also her justicar code doesn’t prohibit romance, she said as much.

1 Like

no but she will not have a relationship with you because of her devotion to the code… so it’s the same really.

Yeah, makes me sad lol. She served the code for centuries, protected people and found her daughter and dealt with her, which was the most important thing in her mind. She felt a lot of guilt for the ardat yakshi she helped bring into the world. Her whole life was the code and hunting down Morinth. She accomplished this and still wouldn’t allow herself to be happy. I wonder if she would think that she deserved to. It’s sad we’ll never be able to ask her these questions. She’s my favorite character in the series and she deserved better.

3 Likes

There was actually a similar character in Dragon Age 2 although he was only available for DLC and only an option for female MCs. He made a vow of celibacy and if the MC romances him, he will discuss it with her and says he hopes to have a celibate marriage with her.

3 Likes

lol no thanks, that isn’t much of a marriage. My cannon is Isabella anyway.

Are u planning on adding another female ro to replace her?

Thanks for the info and feedback, guys! Celibate marriages would definitely make it into a discussion with an asexual RO, but for now that’s not fixed (thinking about it for another character).

As for Qin Lan, I would rather write her as aromantic than asexual bc I realized my given background for her character actually can help establish that better. However due to plot reasons (spoilers!) the celibacy of certain Priestesses at Duolin Temple will still be suspect - hey there’s always a few different sheep in the sea(?!) right?

@ErraticArtisan hmm… I have a few more minor ROs planned out, and some other characters I may promote to minor RO, but I can’t make any promises right now. Bc of Qin Lan’s importance to the plot its hard to find space in the narrative to add another female RO of equal distinctiveness and character. I promise to keep it in mind tho!

7 Likes

Maybe one of the Emperor’s (younger) courtesans falls for the MC? That could ingnite some form of melodrama within the the family. A “prostitute” split between her duty and her feelings, which is, in a way, similar to Chen Kun.

7 Likes

!! That idea immediately conjured a plot line for me with all of the clichéd angsty tropes and themes lol (a good thing!!) I love the idea, and back when it was Fang Yun and Qin Lan as the two female ROs, I was troubling over the fact that both the major female ROs align (of different personality types and for different reasons of course) with the more traditional image of a woman reserved about her sexuality (even though this is ofc more realistic for ancient china, but re: HEy thIs iS fanTAsY). A courtesan (concubine, if u meant the Emperor’s? There were however buildings dedicated to training courtesans in dance and singing etc during the Tang dynasty at least, I think ((pls correct if wrong!!)) in the capitol, if not the royal Palace itself, so this would be workable) would certainly, if only bc of her occupation, be more expressive about her sexuality, which would make a nice contrast w Fang Yun (as Long Qing is for Chen Kun).

That being said, as mentioned above, it is hard to fit another RO character with enough depth into the narrative at this point especially since a courtesan character would likely be limited to court - which our MC is not going to spend a lot of time at until the last arc, where other ROs would already be (hopefully) well established.

But I love this idea so much (thanks for suggesting it!) so we shall see… No promises for now though ;_;

11 Likes

I hope you are not pressured too much. Just do what you can manage first.

5 Likes

You can do whatever you want with your story, of course, but I’d prefer if you kept the ROs to a reduced number. It’s always better if the options are fewer and with depth than a lot and not realistic.

5 Likes

I’m okay with my current pace of writing for now (which admittedly isn’t very fast lol oops) but thanks for the concern guys, and I’ll keep your advice in mind! This may change after the coming week when I get my results/start university applications which will undoubtedly affect me emotionally and consequently my ability to write so uh… wish me luck guys :persevere:

Any plot points I’ve discussed these two days won’t be implemented/confirmed for a while yet just bc I haven’t written that far in oops.

8 Likes

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll do great :slight_smile:

1 Like