Keeper of the Sun and Moon (WIP)

My point was that the person telling us about our suitemates (I forget who it was) said they’d tell us only what was in their application forms and what was common knowledge. So, in other words, they specifically refused to tell us about Seraphina’s past… (As I said before, I get that it’s too early in the plot to learn this, but I am wondering if there’s any in-universe rationale for it.)

3 Likes

@daydreamsincolor

I found 2 small typo(not sure whatever this already reported or not)
  • You rather doubt she’s listening on the edge of his seat, but she manages to put in the effort to nod and “uh huh” at the right parts of your monologue.

her, it’s with Astrid

• He pauses, to make certain you understand the gravity of the situation. “This is an amazing opportunity for you. Some of out best ritual magic professors are willing to mentor you.”

our

Also out of curiosity, how many human mc subplot can be do in one playthrough?

I’ve encountered this bug a lot of times in many WIPs that use the save plugin, though this game is the only one where it persistently shows up. I would definitely try to find out what’s causing it if you can, but in the meantime I would suggest avoiding saving in scenes that cause you to switch to the stats screen on load, and save often.

EDIT: I also encountered a bug.

line 217: Not a number: false

I was choosing what equipment to bring with me to the exam.

2 Likes

I’m afraid not. It seems like a strange bug with the save plugin or perhaps something in the script is interfering with proper saves. Maybe summoning @CJW would help?

@ParrotWatcher
In universe, MC’s advisor would’ve felt awkward mentioning it. I can add in a line or two to clarify that.

@Vattena
There are two kinds of subplots for the game: optional and non-optional. All MCs have non-optional species subplots. Human MC can be a magician or a hunter, which are then considered separate species subplots. Human MC can also just be a normal human.

As for optional subplots, a human MC who is not a magician or hunter will be able to do both of the main ones—the dragon massacre and town hall investigation—although I still need to add in the coding for that.

@RagEgnite
It might be because there are variables altered in the stat screen. Hm… :confounded:

@dashingdon
Ok, thanks anyway. And thank you for performing the summoning :joy:

3 Likes

I’m guessing Massacre and Town Hall subplots will somehow converge?

Btw, I like how Chapter 8 felt like a shit tonne of stuff happened, but actually has less words than each of the 5 previous chapters.

Is there any way to get a good grade in Monsters and Rogues?

25+ EM, attack the drake with your element.

20+ Telekinesis, use that.

30+ Fighting, use your claws or your fist.

20+ Ritual Magic, attack it with a sigil.

15+ Intelligence and 15+ Ritual Magic, use the plants.

5 Celestial Magic, use that.

6 Likes

@UmbraLamia
They’re connected. If you’ve played the new dragon massacre scene, you’ll know that Melanthe Sinclair is involved in both subplots. But they do have different focuses and end goals/results. I still have to figure out a way for MC to be able to do both by giving up something else though :thinking:

Haha, yeah. There are way fewer choices in Chapter 8 than in some other chapters though, which might explain some of it (8 had around 44 choices in the whole scene; 6 had over 140).

1 Like

Oh, I already loved it when I first found your WIP more than a year ago. :two_hearts: I just happened to be aimlessly lurking until now. Also, I apologize if any of these comments have been made before.

The first playthrough (human, non-binary them/they, hated everyone and anything magical but somehow got Kol to romance them) revealed this issue when talking about what they are. I believe they replied with “I don’t know what I am.” Astrid then added “They was raised in by humans in a low magic area.”

Second issue was in the first multiple choice question in the World Cultures class, I believe. Again, same playthrough, but I noticed a visible ‘/i]’ at the end of choice E. I’d post pictures of both instances, but I can’t figure out how to shorten them inside the post like Sabrinadiza has done. Thank you for the tip, @ParrotWatcher!

Pictures I mentioned

And #2

Did I mention I love the update? You’re making great progress! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Use the details tag:

This:

[details=Write title here]

Text or images you want to hide here.

[/details]

becomes:

Write title here

Text or images you want to hide here.

1 Like

Replays game, immediately gets asked out by Astrid Er, sure? This girl has no idea what slow burn means, does she? :laughing:

“So, this guy/girl and I just got attacked by a gorgon, and they killed it and I had to heal them, and that’s kinda like a princess rescue. That’s hot, right?”-Astrid, probably.
:joy:

12 Likes

Can anyone else deliberately replicate this behavior? If it’s an issue an easy solution would be disabling saves whilst on the stat screen.

Just tested it out. The save will still load properly if you saved the game after return to the main game from the main stat screen (detailing the MC’s personal stats and skills).

However, if the game is saved after you return to the game from one of the secondary stat screen (i.e. Relationship and Reputation, Contacts, etc), it’ll cause you to be stuck on said stat screen when you load the save with no way to return to the main game.

4 Likes

There seems to be a problem with the second semester transcript:

SEMESTER 1 TRANSCRIPT
Elemental Manipulation, Prof. Petrova
Grade: 95
Magic Theory, Prof. Kerr
Monsters and Rogues, Prof. Ebner
Grade: 90
Battle Magic, Prof. Delona
Telekinesis, Prof. Li
Grade: 85
Combat, Prof. Darzi
SEMESTER 2 TRANSCRIPT
Elemental Manipulation II, Prof. Petrova
Magic Theory II, Prof. Kerr
Control Magic, Prof. Ebner
World History, Prof. Chase
Telekinesis II, Prof. Li
Grade: 85
Psychic Abilities, Prof. Ebner

It would also be nice to get a description of each of the class options, like in the first semester (some of them can even be reused). :slightly_smiling_face:
On that note, which classes did everyone’s MC’s pick for the second semester?

3 Likes

I picked World History over Ritual Magic, cuz the former relies on my Intelligence, which was already an impressive 25, and I’m not taking the risk of building up my Ritual Magic stat halfway in the game.

I got automatically put into Telekinesis II.

I picked Armed Combat, because that was the only choice I was given out of the four classes.

1 Like

Finally got a chance to play through the update and skimmed the code!

First off, I love the extended species scene for kitsune MCs. The visions we get with a young MC and either of their absent parents is very bittersweet or just plain gut-punching. I can’t quite say the same for the vision we get with both parents though. If its purpose is to have us feel more uncomfortable about their jobs it worked very well!

I also like that the changes to the job scenes for MCs who are working with NMC Daily News and as an intern for Secretary Monroe. Getting more information about Nova Labs is nice and I see it becoming helpful for the subplots.

Speaking of which, I definitely noticed the familiar surnames of the new people we learn about when investigating said subplots. Leon’s mother seemed to be missing and Jaime’s mother is involved in the Dragon Massacre too? I wonder if we get to ask them about it someday.

Of Resistance, Hunters and RDJ

It's under a read more because I have way too many maybe incoherent thoughts about this.

I saw that resistance is now calculated using fairmath instead of just being a hidden stat. There are also more ways to increase it by being mean to everyone and to decrease it by being friendly. However, I’ve grown to like the previous way of getting resistance by opposing to being at the school while still getting to make friends with the characters without affecting the stat.

Still, the changes make sense since that stat is also now used to get the opportunity to help Reyna, Davina and Jaime out in their subplot instead of only opening up the hunter route. I suspect that resistance will play a part even after that since the options to increase it are (or will be) there after Chapter 5. Maybe it’ll be needed to be above a certain threshold to continue plotting with RDJ? Speculations!

I noticed the family scenes have been rewritten for MCs with both parents. I definitely don’t recall them cutting my MC off when trying to explain their whereabouts during the first phone call and also them buying into the lie about attending Mountainview when we met up. The rewrite made them more… villainous sketchy and made me felt uneasy about them being hunters. This is despite my MC for that playthrough being part of the family business as well.

It’s probably for the best that MC remembered the encounter with Jasper/Heather and this made me understood why MC didn’t just naively tell them about the truth.

I’m also getting the impression that MC is actually their flesh and blood and not adopted. How does this work for magi MCs?

Also, the second phone call:

“What were you hunting?”
“Just a siren,” she says.

I hope this isn’t another of Thalia’s sisters again. :anguished:

That said, the rewrite and Jarrod’s new scene in the library further showed that he’s the only hunter with this “innocent until proven guilty” mindset. Jasper/Heather and now MC’s parents definitely don’t seem like that way. He has the most reasons to be hateful towards magi (it could very well be a Freudian excuse were he a villain) but the first thing MC learns from him is to prioritize rogues that had harmed humans instead of just targeting any magi. It’s odd that he got a sense of morals about it. I like this difference between him and the other hunters in the game though.

Not Even Your Birthday

NEYB is gonna be, hands down, the hardest achievement to get. It’s already difficult enough to meet everyone throughout the chapters and it’s even more so to see them a second time to get another chance to raise the relationship status to at least 60%. The best I got was eight gifts and I didn’t even get the chance to meet Gisela/Katia until Chapter 7. Looking at the code, I don’t think it’s even possible to get more than one reputation present. I’m really curious to see if there’s actually a way to get the 12 needed presents for the achievement as it is now.

Can it be worth more than 5 points though?

Typos/Continuity Errors/Bugs
Apologies if there are any repeats.

Chapter 6

“Because it’s a graduation requirement?” Thalia says lazily, when no one answers.
“No,” he says sharply, “because not taking it would mean that you could all die. You of all people should know that, Miss Sato, given your hunters run in recently.”

• I don’t think Ebner’s supposed to know MC’s encounter with the hunters.

Jarrod actually gives you an answer. “Why would we waste out time if we didn’t think you had a chance?”

• This should be “our”.
Chapter 7
  • When replying how MC is spending their break (either to single mom or to Yakov), I got the option to go on a road trip with Thalia and Jarrod despite Thalia only inviting MC to the trip in Chapter 8.
  • I got a message about meeting with President Nekora on December 1 even though I think only non-hunter humans are supposed to get that.
Unmarked spoilers about the Nova Labs scene here! Tread carefully.
*if familytype = "dad"
 He's a remarkably unremarkable man, aside from his eyes, which are a stunning ${eyecolor}. There's something vaguely familiar to the set of his features, but you can't put your finger on it.
*if familytype != "mom"
 He's remarkably nondescript, with dull eyes and neat hair. 
  • I’m confused. If the director shares the same ${eyecolor} as MC, shouldn’t the first familytype be mom? If he’s meant to be MC’s uncle (Sera mentioned a sister later on) and not their dad, the familytype != should be dad instead, right? Maybe there a third option I’m not seeing.
Chapter 8
10 Likes

@Moonsong
Fixed for next update!

Thank you! :blush:

@Greyscales
It’s because of the variables then. I’ll have to find a way to fix it. Thank you.

@justme
Thanks! I’m planning to add course descriptions, but they tend to take a while to write (and there are 8 new ones), so it’s a lower priority right now.

@Greyscales
I realized that if MC with a good relationship gave hunter parents too much information/said they were at a magic school, the family scenes would end up being drastically different. And yeah, the hunter parents are meant to be…sketchy.

MC isn’t adopted, hunter mother’s father was a whatever species MC is/elemental if human MC.

Nah, not a relative. It’s just to add tension.

RDJ presents are going to be added once more of that path is written, and I might also lower the present threshold. Just raised the point value for next update :joy:

Thank you so much for all of the feedback!! :grin:

2 Likes

Hmmm…for the vacation options I don’t recall Alty or Astrid ever inviting my mc before the convo with mom either. I though it was just another in progress scene and that the Alty or Astrid convo where they invite us would be added later on (including my mc panicking on account of having nothing suitable to wear when meeting Alty’s posh parents).

2 Likes

Finally! Got good scores for the exams!

Plus, my actual exams just ended a few day ago. Exams, exams!
Edit: Stats used for exam *note: this is by the end of Chapter 8, so any stat advancements during the chapter are included.

As for Sem2 classes, for now, I chose:

We’ll see how it goes :slight_smile:
Oh, just realised. Double Ebner!