Kazizk's first game help and such : )

Hellow everyone :blush: I started writing my own choice script game/book about 5days ago and I’ve gotten a little bit done thanks to comments the wiki and help from a leader xD I’d put the user name up but I don’t remember how to spell it x…x anyway I’ve run into a very sever issue…I can’t figure out how to put what I have on drop box for help and comments. Aside from that I think I’ve figured out how to work the coding fairly well :blush: so the most common issue I’m having is indentation xD I’m using my phone for all of this so a few things are a bit limited for me. Can anyone help me with putting it up? Oh and the true/false command is still a bit tricky for me x.x

http://choicescriptdev.wikia.com/wiki/Publishing_your_game has instructions on how to publish your game via dropbox.

@poison_mara may have some tips on remembering indentation while using a phone. Normally I’d suggest using a text-editor but I don’t know if that’s possible on phones.

If True/False is tricky then I’d suggest forcing yourself to write a small, self-contained, section of code using it and then working on that section until it works. And if you get stuck then just ask here.

Awesome :blush: thank you again :blush: I’ll start looking at the information immediately :blush: oh haha I still have yet to find the formatting options :relieved:

I actually use 2-3 indentation sense it seems to work for me but my main problem with it is my keyboard xD it stops working from time to time so I think I did it correctly but as it would turn out my phone failed to register the key press xD.

With the true/false command I think my problem is that I fail to understand how to use even while looking at the wiki xD About every 8th code I write I play test it to see if everything is working the way I want it to :blush: it took me about 30 minutes to setup and correct the input_text command and proper labeling for them in my game/book when I learned About them :blush:

Thank you again I greatly appreciate the help :smile:

Alas that is the problem with phones. Persevere is all you can do, I think. And code so that you use limited indentation.

You’ll be able to do input_text quicker next time though. It’s all a learning process.

For true/false what you first need to do is create a variable. So

*create awesome false

Then you set it. Note that true and false don’t have quotation marks surrounding them. (I’m using fake_choice here because you don’t need gotos after each choice.)

Are you awesome?
*fake_choice
    #Yes
        *set awesome true
    #No
        *set awesome false

Then you test it.

*if awesome = true
    You are really awesome!

*if awesome  = false  
    You are not awesome.

Does that make sense?

To further complicate matters, it’s better practice to put brackets around if statements. (I keep forgetting about that.) And these are the same.

*if (awesome)
*if (awesome = true)

And these are all the same too. ! is the same as NOT and false.

*if (awesome = false)
*if not (awesome)
*if !(awesome)

Anyway that’s how to use true/false.

Wow… that actually made a lot more sense to me the wiki did haha :blush: I’ll test it out and see if I can get it running :blush:

I’ve been looking over the link you gave me and tried a few of the steps out but ran into an error, after updating and download the new compiled my games folder I tried to upload it and dropbox said they don’t have permission to read the file.

So now I’m looking at the form topic mentioned in the link for any possible solutions :blush:

I wish I could help with dropbox. I have the easy version with the free public folder though so I don’t know about compiling.

The wiki’s really good and a fantastic reference. As is the main choiceofgames site. I found I needed to look at some code in practice though to understand how it works

Even then I found using if statements really, really difficult to begin with. The more you practice the better you’ll get at it though.

edited link removed :blush:
hopefully I’ll get a working one up soon :blush:

Not quite right. Oops duh can’t do what I initially suggested. I’ve no idea how to fix it. I just see a downloadable icon.

Someone who uses the new compile method may be able to help better though.

Alright :blush: I’ll keep looking and see if I can find anything :blush: thank you :blush:

Hi @kazizk, have you read this thread on compiling and using Dropbox?

I got a dropbox account a few months ago and this method works fine for me. Compile, add to dropbox, get the link and edit the link. You won’t need to “pay” for a free folder. I haven’t needed to. Also, I was able to do this from my phone, so you should be able to as well.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have trouble with it. I’ll try help as best I can. :ok_hand:

Thank you very much for that :blush:

But yes I looking it over and tried it out.

After downloading and replacing the file I tried to compile it again and it came up with a few errors.

The main one was, it couldn’t load the start_up.text file and the second one since it couldn’t load the start_up file it failed to compile the game xD

I’ll look over it again when I get the chance but for now I’m jut about out of data so I can’t really do anything :disappointed::panda_face:

Il keep writing and testing it out when I can though :blush:

No worries. Glad to help. Oh no, that’s a strange problem. I think it should still compile with the data turned off. Just checked it (with my own WIP). You can without the data turned on.

Are all the scenes listed in startup.txt?

xD I finally got WiFi so I can get back on :grin:

I’m fairly sure they are but I’ll double check just to be safe :slight_smile:

@Silverstone
Ok so I noticed that in my start up text there was a scene that was named wrong xD in the scene list it was labeled start_up yet on my notepad and in the file it’s labeled as startup xD so I fixed that and now hopefully il get it working soon :grinning:

Ok so I tested it and it seemed to work xD so here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hukb53943q1p0n2/testing.html?

New link edit

Yay, I’m glad you got it to work. It reminds me a bit of how choice of the dragon starts out. Keep up the good work, keep writing :slight_smile:

Ok so do you think I should put it up in the WIP section or should I wait untill I have a little more written? General asking everyone xD but @FairyGodfeather and you to Silverstone :blush: since you’ve been helping me out with my questions thus far would you suggest that I do so or wait a little longer? O.o

@kazizk
I think you should make a short playable demo (10k words?) before creating the thread.

Is the current version long enough? Then feel free to post it!

Alright thank you ballmot :blush: I’m not really sure what my word count is as of yet mostly because notepad ++ on my phone doesn’t give me word count spell check or anything all that helpful xD although I’m fairly sure I haven’t hit 10k or anywhere close to it xD

@kazizk
Try pasting all the text on [this website][1], it will count the words for you.

Edit: that is odd, it works for me.

[1]: http://countwordsworth.com/

It doesn’t seem to know x.x it’s telling me things like I used the word “is” roughly 44 times but it won’t say how many words I’ve used xD il play with I more later or il try to use my roommates desktop later and find out for sure xD thank you though :grinning: