Kazizk's first game help and such : )

Did you use your phone or pc? XD but ya my roommate gave me the ok to use his desk top so starting tomorrow or today il get back to work xD

Alright so I’ve done more work xD but at the moment I have a lot of other things going on so it’ll be a little while before I update the link x.x I would go into more details but I’m not sure if it’d be against the forum rules or not especially since its personal, kinda xD

Anyway I do have a quick question, how would I hide stats that retain to an item? Would I set the stats as false until the item was collected then switch them to true? Or would I go with the hide_ruse? O.o

Are you talking about setting up some kind of inventory system?

Booleans (True or False) are usually the most popular option.

You could use a setup like this (From the wiki) :

*label inv
*temp milk false
*temp eggs true
*temp bacon true
*temp sausage false
*temp tomatoes true
*temp mushrooms false

*temp inventory ""
*temp comma false

*if (milk)
    *set inventory &"Milk"
    *set comma true
*if (eggs)
    *if comma
        *set inventory &", "
    *set inventory &"Eggs"
    *set comma true
*if (bacon)
    *if comma
        *set inventory &", "
    *set comma true
    *set inventory &"Bacon"
*if (sausage)
    *if comma
        *set inventory &", "
    *set comma true
    *set inventory &"Sausage"
*if (tomatoes)
    *if comma
        *set inventory &", "
    *set comma true
    *set inventory &"Tomatoes"
*if (mushrooms)
    *if comma
        *set inventory &", "
    *set comma true
    *set inventory &"Mushrooms"
Inventory: ${inventory}.

Haha actually I was reading that before I posted xD

No, not exactly umm…here il update the link really quickly maybe that will give you guys a better understanding of my question xD just after you start open the stat screen. Towards the bottom will be The Ring of Power a brief explanation then two stats for the ring and mc, I’m trying to hide those two stats untill the mc actually gets the ring.
Edit link here to.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hukb53943q1p0n2/testing.html

Merp I need to change the title xD I think the working title? Will be…The Great Destroyer the unofficial name of the mc :blush:

Perhaps a boolean (with the *if command ) and two strings for the stats could work?

:blush: il give it a shot :blush: I’m still learning most of the coding but I think I’m doing alright for only starting about 20 days ago xD I think I started on the first but I’m not 100% sure xD

Ok so basically it’ll look something like this (I can’t find the format options so Ya sorry xD)

*If ring_of_power true (power & control & wild) visible
??that looks funny even to my sleep deprived and furious brain right now xD Il play with it and check the wiki to make sure I get it xD

I got the
*If blah <=20 #doing stuff
Command or rather the If and elsif earlier while reading something xD I think x…x

After messing around in my game’s code for a few minutes I came up with something:

*if (something)
 [b]The Ring of Power[/b]
 *stat_chart
   percent power
   opposed_pair control
       control
       wild

Would it work for you?

1 Like

Looks interesting kazizk

I started reading your demo, I’d like to see how it goes. Just a thought though, it needs a spelling check run though it as there’s lots of spelling errors. There’s also a lot of sentences that start with lower case letters and some words that need adjusting for tense or correct type (ie they’re rather than their). Just trying to help (I have a similar problem with grammar issues in my work). Here’s some I’ve written down to start. Look forward to seeing the rest of it :smile:

Space between anyway,oh (pg 2)
Pg 3 female- needs some punctuation. Perhaps something like You seem very scary, So there! Have a little charm. (Something else would work too, depends on the emphasis you want)
that’s the ring of power (Needs capital That’s). I could tell you what is dose (should be does). Probably needs a comma (I could tell you what it does, but)
Missing “out” It’ll be more fun to let you figure it out.
When you click on start over it proceeds to the next screen instead of starting over.
As you look around the room-> attention spelt wrong. Some sentences don’t have capital letters to start. (Also seen on other screens).
Small creatures<- wrong spelling
you’ve managed to wriggled (should be wriggle)
Those are apart (should be “a part”) of you and their (should be they’re)
ajust<- incorrect spelling
Seemlessly attach (should be attached)

1 Like

Well :blush: thank you very much for trying it out and for all of the feedback :blush:

I don’t know if you have read the other comments or not, but I am using notepad ++ on my phone and unfortunately it does not have spell check, word count, auto indentation or any other useful tools x…x that being said, I do appreciate your help in pointing out some of my grammar errors :blush:
I do plan on fixing everything however, I want to make sure that my game works and is a fourth of the way finished first before I start fine tuning it and correcting everything :blush: I do plan on switching over to a computer but today hasn’t been that good of a day…so my apologies if anything I have said comes across as rude of offensive. Again thank you very much for all the feed back :smiley:
Oh haha and the bit about The Voice asking the mc if they want to start over. I worded it that way to be a little confusing but also because when you start the game up, the world has already been destroyed, so essentially I’m saying do you want to go back to before it was destroyed, to reset the planet and all the events that lead up to the destruction of the world.

@ballmot at the moment I’m not sure if I understand that but I’ll look at it again later today :blush: today has just been one of those day…I’m extremely tired xD but ya I’ll look at it again and play with it later today or most likely tomorrow morning x.x thank you very much for helping me out with this :blush:

Right so I was planning on making about 5 branches for this and having each branch contain about 6-10 chapters then giving the reader the chance to go to the first chapter In each branch :blush: I thought it would make this very fun and enjoyable however, I also like confusion so I’d probably make a bit of the game very confusing but not enough to drop a reader xD

No problems, sorry did miss the phone thing. That would be time consuming to write up in your phone! Sounds like you’re going to do that anyway, but if you’re getting people to beta test later though, probably a good idea to get rid of at least the majority of spelling errors, as I at least (and I suspect some others will as well) find it harder to read as I’m being distracted and then makes it harder to give feedback on the story itself. You’ll probably get more constructive feedback on the story line itself that way. If your computer doesn’t have a word processor with a spell checker loaded on, open office is a decent free program similar to MS Word. (Just watch out that it turns all the " into little diamonds when you save a txt file and then have to replace them in notepad).

Up to you, but you might think about changing the wording of the go start over button? Or add an explanation like “Do you want to go back to the begining of it all” etc. Maybe see what other say, might just be me that found it confusing.

Good luck with the game. (Sorry for being a grammar nazi).

Alright now that I’m refreshed and cheery xD

I do plan on correcting all of the spelling errors and I will re-word parts of it that make little since or are just to confusing xD

Yes it has taken quite a long time to get it as far as I have thou that’s mostly due to the coding xD There will be a couple of words that I intentionally misspell but but that will only be in the sections belonging to The Voice. XD

Thank you again for pointing out the errors thou :blush:

Ok what is [ b ] [ / b ] ? Or what is used for? XD the b in the box thing in case it doesn’t show up o.o

Pretty sure that puts your words in bold. Like this.

Swap out the b for an i and you get italics.

2 Likes

Ah ok I suppose that makes sense xD

edit
Ok so I’ve updated and fixed a lot of things, soon i should have an updated link up . I haven’t been able to write as much as i would like to but such is life :slight_smile:
Hopefully I’ll have enough done but the 20th to put up a WIP

hay sorry everyone, I’ve been swamped at work x…x on the plus side, i have a new laptop so im getting a bit more done, on the negative side, I have to start over and due to…unexpected family deaths it’ll be a little long before i have any new updates for everyone.

hello everyone :slight_smile: so i finally have a laptop but its been so long since I’ve used one to write i forgot how to do it xD it looks so weird ha ha c: right now i need to get my back up files so i can continue writing, my hours have changed quite a bit so now i have time to write again.

sorry about the long absents but I’ll get back to work as so as i can :slight_smile: the phone i was using to write crashed so its been a while since i did any coding but hopefully I’ll be able to get my files from drop box so i have a little bit of a head start.

again sorry about being gone for so long :slight_smile: