Katawa-shoujo, a great dating sim

Yea.
You can never go half-kenji.
You have to fully embrace his mindset.

dem feminists and snipers and moon bases

The funny thing is when I think of the game the name I use for it is ‘my broken little heart’
then don’t go breaking my heart plays in my head.

Kenji is so amazing. Honestly, his dialogue is killer. Oh, and his route? To die for. Honestly I’d rather fall off a building than play through the other routes again, they are a bloody mess compared to his.

1 Like

I was going to look at it, then saw they list each female character’s weight (all under 60kg), dimensions- hips/bust/waist (all hourglass to busty) and…blood type?! So you’ve got a school full of supermodel proportioned students that you could organise a blood transfusion for in a hurry? The guys just get a blurb, no height, weight or dimensions stuff. Decided not to read it. Ok maybe there’s more to it than that, but didn’t impress me much. Being female, I don’t think I’m their target audience anyway though.

1 Like

It’s free and the H-scenes can be turned off, I’d recommend giving it a try at least. It really is better than you’d expect.

2 Likes

The blood type thing is just a cultural thing. In Japan there’s a belief that your blood type affects your personality, hence why it’s often listed in character bios.

2 Likes

@silent15 Was not aware of that! Thought it was a weird thing to be listing, but that makes more sense now.
@Durxa Maybe, when I get time I might have a look at it. If it’s free, I guess I can always just stop reading it if I don’t like it. Not sure I’m the one it’s being targeted at though.

And i thinking that nothing good could raise from 4chan… tsc.

Seems that i was wrong after all.

by the way. my blood type is “O”.

I don’t know my blood type, I find it interesting that different cultures believe different things about the blood types.

I copy and pasted this but have a look guys. :wink:

Blood Type Personality Meaning

Type A
Advantages: obedient, careful, sympathetic, empathetic, self-sacrificing, polite, willing to compromise, honest, loyal

Disadvantages: worries a lot, emotional, weak-willed, indecisive, introverted, anti-social, wishy-washy, nervous

Type B
Advantages: cheerful, outgoing, optimistic, adventurous, active, sensitive, kind

Disadvantages: forgetful, undecided, disorganized, noisy, spontaneous, prone to exaggeration

Type AB
Advantages: sensitive, proud, diplomatic, discriminating, easy-going, sympathetic, efficient, learns quickly

Disadvantages: short-tempered, complains, dependent, moody, brooding

Type O
Advantages: confident, strong-willed, judgmental, dedicated, self-deterministic

Disadvantages: workaholic, insecure, emotional, stubborn, uncompromising, cold personality, over-confident, self-centered

I’m type O…
it seems to say nothing about being a nice person.
huh…

Why does this feel strangely accurate…

2 Likes

Huh…interesting. I always wondered why blood type was given, now I know.

@Jacic

Not being the target audience doesn’t really mean anything. I myself am a heterosexual man and yet still enjoy otome games - that is, games which are meant for a female audience, and have primarily male love interests. All that matters in the end is whether or not you are a fan of romance.

And I strongly urge you to give Katawa Shoujo a fair shot. The game is anything but shallow.

1 Like

Soooo… i guess I’m the only one who fell in love with Rin then ok :confused:

Rin is awesome but somehow emi managed to drag me into her route(I didn’t even notice until it was too late)
I guess it was my competitive spirit.

1 Like

One of my favorite VN’s. A point it adopted that I really loved: Not fixing From what I recall, the game had a very strong message of not trying to ‘fix’ the girl’s. ‘Fixing’ their problems generally lead to a bad end, while being supportive and genuinely loving was good. There were fake out choices where one looked good, until you turned a critical eye to what it implied, and the game punished you for jumping at them. You had to actually think about what you were doing and how it impacted them not you. A genuinely good message, IMO.

2 Likes

Wait…
What fake choices?
I didn’t have any choices trip me up.
Which ones are fake choices?
Now I feel paranoid.
(Also that is a good message.)

1 Like

I’ll just comment on Hanako’s 'cause it’s the one I had a certain onomatopoeia over. (And before anyone even asks lmgtfy), and Hanako is the character I most identified with (by and far). Anyways, and mind you this is partially from memory, so it may be partially wrong, but I do know that the gist is correct. In Hanako’s route, you’re constantly required to go and put in the effort to talk to her and otherwise be very active in trying to cater to her, because she’s very much a shut in. Social Anxiety is a hell of a problem to try and deal with.

The last choices, however, center around Lilly asking you to have faith in Hanako and give her time after a bad incident, and there’s three outcomes: 1) You barge in and essentially say ‘I know what’s best’ and don’t give her any time to deal with her own problems (obviously wrong) 2) You continue to cater to her needs and protect her 3) you leave her to deal with her own problems. Which of those last two are correct?

For the sake of the game, and generally in real life? It’s the last one. The second one looks like a good choice to many social people at first glance, however (which is why it can fake some people out). After all, you don’t want someone to get hurt, so you protect them, right? But that doesn’t leave people to grow on their own, or make their own decisions, or lead their own lives. She has a problem, but it’s her problem to deal with in the way she chooses. Trying to fix her problem for her, rather than letting her decide her fate, led to a bad end. That’s the fake out.

1 Like

just so you guys now, there also another spiritual successor to katawa shoujo its called missing stars but instead of dealing with people with physical disabilities you are dealing with people with mental illnesses
http://somnovastudios.org/

2 Likes

that’s why

Thats gonna be interesting.
But that means our Mc has one right?
I wonder…

i think i’m not certain so don’t quote me on this i pretty sure i read that our MC has mild schizophrenia… i think