• The planet Mohnhia has become Monia;

Characters who are unchanged:

• Cross (Homo Sapiens Sapiens);
  • Krnt (Rotr);
  • Doctress Giga Wyr (Cybit);
  • Xira (Kibra);
  • Tinio (Android)
5 Likes

Well, I’ve finally gotten my update out. And with it, the new investigation system that I’ve been working on. It’s not perfect, but I’m super happy with how it turned out. I feel like there is a feeling of agency added to the investigation that there otherwise wouldn’t have been, and I think it’s absolutely gonna be something that I continue to fine tune and use in the future. Not only that, I feel like it might be another good way to inspire activity surrounding a game, making it so people can share what they investigated with each other, and what choices led to what outcome. But mostly, I’m just happy the update is out. 50k words in total and about 12k added per playthrough. Now to start working on the other half of the chapter, which is the choice of the coroner’s office.

13 Likes

I’m debating whether or not to change Yuna’s name. I actually really like the name Yuna. I called them Yuna Westin in my outline but considering the plot, maybe they could do with a pseudonym? I was watching a let’s play of a game and a character had an “Uchi” brand purse. I think that’s a play on Gucci :person_shrugging:

Anyway, I like the sound of Yuna Uchi… Maybe “Yuna Uchigawa”. I’m sorry for all the name questions. I realize naming things is my weak point.

7 Likes

I had to ban myself from renaming characters when I realised I’d updated my initial set of notes a dozen times.

Honestly I’d recommend picking something you like (even if you have to spend hours on something like behind the name). I know it feels wrong to just give somebody a name that might not match the character they’ve become, but most of the time they were named well before they became the person that they are in a story.

2 Likes

My one rule for naming characters (or anything for that matter) is never use a name I can’t pronounce. I have this fear that, what if my work gets super popular? What if I get asked to do an interview on tv and I get stuck trying to pronounce a difficult name?

5 Likes

YES, YES, YES!

Today, I broke the 200K+ words with my Last Dream project!

I am SOOOO happy. Let’s celebrate together!

BTW: @Kelly_Seastar, I am thrilled to see we think alike. You chose Yuna as a name (I love FFX, did you play that videogame? Or is it just chance?).

You also chose Uchi (that’s the first island’s name in my Last Dream project.)

I love those names; keep them! :love_letter:

17 Likes

No, I haven’t heard of FFX.

3 Likes

The waiting is the worst part of submitting your work. It’s why I am trying to keep busy with my q and a topic and some practice writing.

9 Likes

Your thread is super useful and awesome!

4 Likes

With one week left in the month, I am setting up for a final push.

My mini-focus this week will require me to have both focus and discipline to be successful.

To reward myself, if I do succeed, I promised I would give myself permission to read a couple of games that I have not yet done so.

Best wishes for this last week of the month, everyone.

10 Likes

Thank you. I’ve had quite a few fun questions!

5 Likes

While I’m stuck on an old project, my gf and I worked together to write a small unrelated, and it was a lot of fun. Felt more productive than I have in months.

Not much to say except it’s nice having a partner to share with and help. Not to mention the cuddles.

10 Likes

Howdy again!

Minor update, but I feel like I’m actually making some good progress! I started writing again for the first time in cough toomanyyears cough and I feel like I’m starting to get a handle on the coding part.

I have a small backstory/prologue section written, and I’ve made it to the first big branching choice of the game. I even managed to piece together how to make pronouns and gender work. Progress!

I’m dying to get enough of this sucker written to comfortably post a demo, to see if I’m on the right track and if anyone is even interested, but I want to at least get through this chapter and do some more polishing first. I know readers don’t typically like short demos.

I’m really just thrilled to be writing again. Feels good, man. Feels real good ;_;

11 Likes

I know it’s not the end of the month yet, but I’m pretty happy with my progress so far. I’ve managed to finish the latest chapter and just need to test it and work out some kinks before posting. It looks like I’ll be able to make my goal this time!

12 Likes

I managed to get my objective done as well I wrote more than 30k. that with edition and skipping some stuff and all that is reduced to about 10k prologue.

So that should be seen as good news. But sadly I am deeply worried that nobody will give my game a chance due the nature of the prologue. So I am feeling like a big loser again…

17 Likes

Thats great Mara. 30,000 is nothing to sneer at. Even if you edited that down to 10,000 that is still 10,000 words you adjust to still make sense.

Be proud of your writing no matter now much or how little you write. It just takes one reader to make it all worthwhile. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I am not much of a party person in real life but I adore writing fictional parties and the social dynamics within them, especially when something dreadful occurs. For Honor Bound I’m outlining what’s one of the worst parties I’ve written in a CoG so far; I don’t know if it wins out over the Royal Affair Winter Ball (in which Pascal almost dies from an allergic reaction) or the Blood Money wake for Casimira (in which ghosts are causing ruckuses and you can catch a spy and unceremoniously murder them) but I did make myself chortle in the coffee shop over this placeholder line:

13 Likes

Hannah I love your games so much! So I want to cheering you! You will ace the party.

7 Likes

30k?! Holy- I’ve only managed ~50k for a completed route, that’s incredible! If you end up posting your WIP here, please tag me, because I’d totally give it a go. You’ve done a lot of work, whether it’s 30k or 10k. Someone, anyone will always read it. That’s kind of the joy of reading/stories. There’s always something someone will enjoy.

5 Likes

I’ve just discovered my friend editor has a thing for Hs mute. He says they give personality to the fictional language.

4 Likes